Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Martin Steinley

#151 Post by Martin Steinley » November 25th, 2015, 10:55 pm

Kent Comley wrote:Sounds good Martin. Need to crack an 'off the beaten path tonight' - you cannot do it all alone.
Music to my ears, Kent. I will look forward to reading your note in the morning.
ITB

PCLIN

#152 Post by PCLIN » November 26th, 2015, 3:58 am

2012 Domaine Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean Rouge

Gorgeous nose, floral and expressive, could smell this whole day long. Wow! Quite an initial impression. Sweet and smooth on the entry but fairly light body. Spicy tannins but not very long finish. Good acidity and very little hint of alcohol. Good balance overall. If this develops more complexity, will be a really good wine. Should order more.
Chiu Lin

Robert Panzer

#153 Post by Robert Panzer » November 26th, 2015, 5:44 am

Martin Steinley wrote:The 2013 Charles Van Canneyt (winemaker at his family's domaine, Hudelot-Noellat) Bourgogne Rouge is my first bottle under his own label and it is delicious. It is, to my palate and thinking, just what Bourgogne out to be. I thought something good was in store when the wine poured out a translucent, light ruby color. The nose is a fresh, red fruit affair, and the wine has a sweet/tart, focused core of strawberry/cranberry fruit on the attack; the crunchy/sappy sort. It finishes cool, with brisk, but easy tannins. I am going to buy a case to drink, and a case to cellar for fun. Groovy stuff for about $25 a throw.
Fwiw, negociant Hautes Cotes de Nuits wine here....
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by dcornutt » November 26th, 2015, 6:14 am

2013 Bernard Moreau Chassagne Rouge Morgeot Les Cardeuse

Not that easy to find but this is sublime. Concentrated for a 2013. Wonderful red cherry type nose. Bright red fruit on the palate that emerges from a darker red color. Silky on the palate. The texture blows me away. Not expected here in a Chassagne. Wonderful fruit acid balance. Very long in the mouth. Young and absolutely delicious.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Robert Panzer

#155 Post by Robert Panzer » November 26th, 2015, 6:18 am

Indeed, Don.
The Cardeuse has for some time been one of best sleeper reds on the Côte. Charles Van Canneyt turned me onto it a few years ago at a dinner in Beaune together.
The '13 reds are fantastic from Chassagne and Santenay, to my taste.
Sounds like the '13 from Moreau is on point. Thanks for the note....
SANTÉ

Martin Steinley

#156 Post by Martin Steinley » November 26th, 2015, 8:12 am

PCLIN wrote:2012 Domaine Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean Rouge

Gorgeous nose, floral and expressive, could smell this whole day long. Wow! Quite an initial impression. Sweet and smooth on the entry but fairly light body. Spicy tannins but not very long finish. Good acidity and very little hint of alcohol. Good balance overall. If this develops more complexity, will be a really good wine. Should order more.
Thank you for the good note here, Chiu. Vines here are over 100 year-old. I haven't gotten to a bottle of the 2012 yet, but hope to do so shortly.
Robert Panzer wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:The 2013 Charles Van Canneyt (winemaker at his family's domaine, Hudelot-Noellat) Bourgogne Rouge is my first bottle under his own label and it is delicious. It is, to my palate and thinking, just what Bourgogne out to be. I thought something good was in store when the wine poured out a translucent, light ruby color. The nose is a fresh, red fruit affair, and the wine has a sweet/tart, focused core of strawberry/cranberry fruit on the attack; the crunchy/sappy sort. It finishes cool, with brisk, but easy tannins. I am going to buy a case to drink, and a case to cellar for fun. Groovy stuff for about $25 a throw.
Fwiw, negociant Hautes Cotes de Nuits wine here....
Thank you, Robert. I had been wondering about the source of this.
dcornutt wrote:2013 Bernard Moreau Chassagne Rouge Morgeot Les CardeuseNot that easy to find but this is sublime. Concentrated for a 2013. Wonderful red cherry type nose. Bright red fruit on the palate that emerges from a darker red color. Silky on the palate. The texture blows me away. Not expected here in a Chassagne. Wonderful fruit acid balance. Very long in the mouth. Young and absolutely delicious.
Sounds like my kind of wine, Don. The more Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge I taste, the more I like and cellar them.
ITB

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#157 Post by Craig G » November 26th, 2015, 9:04 am

PCLIN wrote:2012 Domaine Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St. Jean Rouge
I just bought a couple bottles of the 1983 in a K&L auction. Not sure what to expect.
“I want to halve your babies” — King Solomon

C. Gle@son

Keith Levenberg

#158 Post by Keith Levenberg » November 26th, 2015, 9:08 am

Craig G wrote:
I just bought a couple bottles of the 1983 in a K&L auction. Not sure what to expect.
pffft - only 70 year old vines then...

Kent Comley

#159 Post by Kent Comley » November 26th, 2015, 12:43 pm

Last nights 2006 Jadot Beaune Clos des Ursules was looking pretty smart. Not the prettiness and petits fruits rouge we often see from Beaune, but real old vine density and heft, although starting to mellow. Good drinking.
ITB

PCLIN

#160 Post by PCLIN » November 26th, 2015, 8:03 pm

Did not realize the Jean Marc Pillot CSJ Rouge come from 100 year old vines. Maybe due to the style of the producer, fairly transparent and no heavy extraction. The wine is certainly wide open and approachable now. So smooth that no food is required. Just picked up 5 more bottles.
Chiu Lin

PCLIN

#161 Post by PCLIN » November 29th, 2015, 8:36 am

2009 Sylvain Pataille Marsannay L'Ancestrale

Muted on the nose initially, fairly clean though. Took an hour for this to open up. Mostly black fruits. Plum, soils and oaks with bitter chocolate finish. Dense with good length, fairly big for a village. Lacking a bit of energy though. Compared this to the '12 Jean Marc Pillot CSJ next to it, seems rather plain and not as refined. This will need few more years in the cellar.
Chiu Lin

Martin Steinley

#162 Post by Martin Steinley » December 4th, 2015, 12:00 am

Blagny Rouge is perhaps my favorite off-the-beaten-path red Burgundy. (I was about to ready to board a plane to France when I learned that Antoine Jobard was grafting over to Chardonnay the family's Blagny Pinot Noir.) One is assured of getting a pretty, red-fruited wine, and the 2007 Domaine Cherisey Blagny Rouge La Genelotte is no exception. It is darker than Jobard's former version of this wine, but it has the same gently spicy perfume. On the palate, the 80 year-old plus vines yield a silky texture and sappy, energetic wine which finishes with sweet, easy tannins. As Tom Blach once said on this board, Blagny Rouge is for true Burgundy lovers (where are you Tom?). Initially, you have to lean in a bit and listen to get what is going on with this wine, but it blossoms and breathes up nicely in the glass to show a strawberry/raspberry compote profile, and it really sings at the table.
ITB

Kent Comley

#163 Post by Kent Comley » December 16th, 2015, 4:04 pm

2010 Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet VV shows the excellent structure of the vintage with good purity and cut, nicely ripe fruits rouges. Will develop nicely.
ITB

BrianMarshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by BrianMarshall » December 18th, 2015, 6:29 am

I popped one of these last night; this is a really nice bourgogne. You nailed the TN.
CT: WMWG

Mark C Johnson

#165 Post by Mark C Johnson » December 18th, 2015, 7:52 am

2013 Domaine Germain Pere et Fils Saint Romain Sous le Chateau

This is a very tasty and juicy wine from an appellation I am not at all familiar with. Darker color for a pinot it nonetheless was light on its feet perfumed and moreish. The wife and I finished the bottle in no time!
Memes & Tropes

Mark C Johnson

#166 Post by Mark C Johnson » December 18th, 2015, 7:58 am

2009 Domaine Taupenot-Merme Saint Romain blanc

Continuing with my St. Romain exploration, this is a very nice white, medium concentration clean and crisp more chablis than chassagne or puligny but not as fat as meursault. Delicious!
Memes & Tropes

StevenB

#167 Post by StevenB » December 18th, 2015, 8:12 am

Edmond Cornu - 2009 Ladoix Vieilles Vignes: disappointing, roasted nose, burnt fruit profile, disjointed, the roasted/burnt notes mask the fruit (I think this sees 10% new oak, so I'm a bit puzzled by these strong roasted notes). In the mouth, it's equally burnt tasting, it's lacking harmony. While ok to drink, it wasn't a huge joy.
S. Bauer

Martin Steinley

#168 Post by Martin Steinley » December 19th, 2015, 6:29 am

That is surprising and disappointing, Steven. The 2010 version of Cornu's Ladoix VV is dark and maybe a bit rustic, but pure and delicious. I sold a large stack of it.

Last night's 2012 Chandon de Briailles Savigny-Les-Beaune was much darker than most CdB wines that I have had. At this early stage, there is some stem action peaking through the black cherry fruit on the nose. On the palate, the wine has a deep core of fruit that is characteristic of many 2012 red Burgundies. That combined with some earth and forest tones, heft and structure would make this a good candidate for some extended cellaring by those on a budget wanting to drink mature Burgundy in 15 years or so. A fair bit of red Burgundy here for not a lot of cabbage ($30ish).
ITB

Michael Davidson

#169 Post by Michael Davidson » December 19th, 2015, 8:26 am

I had a 2010 Chandon de Briailles Les Lavieres over the last two nights. Friday night it was showing all stems, really hard and unpleasant. A night on the counter softened it into this ethereal red-fruited beauty.

I've had this experience many times, but it still surprises me just how transformative air and time can be on a young wine.

Michael

Martin Steinley

#170 Post by Martin Steinley » December 30th, 2015, 8:45 am

For my palate, among the surest places that I can look for a satisfying bottle of red Burgundy is Domaine Guillemot in Savigny-Les-Beaune. The domaine's relatively young vines in Gravains are now of sufficient age that the domaine bottles it as a separate 1er cru along with Jarrons, Narbantons and Serpentieres. The 2013 Guillemot Savigny-Les-Beaune Gravains is quintessential Guillemot - a pale, red color; light red fruits and soil on the nose; and fresh and cool on the palate with red fruit that is on the bright, almost crunchy side. It has a fine texture and it glides down oh so easily. The acids are brisk, the tannins appropriately firm at this early stage, and it finishes with Guillemot's telltale orange rind note.
ITB

Stan Y.

#171 Post by Stan Y. » December 30th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:For my palate, among the surest places that I can look for a satisfying bottle of red Burgundy is Domaine Guillemot in Savigny-Les-Beaune.
I like Guillemot. The last vintages I bought by the case '05 and '06 Serpentieres drank very well for a couple of years after release but were recently so shut down and rustic I almost started to worry...fine a day later though, and I don't normally like to let Burgundy sit overnight. Kermit Lynch says they are built to last and he is right!
S. Y @ t € s

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#172 Post by Craig G » December 30th, 2015, 3:51 pm

Last year I had a 1989 Guillemot Serpentieres and it was in great shape.

C. Gle@son

Michael Davidson

#173 Post by Michael Davidson » December 30th, 2015, 5:00 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:For my palate, among the surest places that I can look for a satisfying bottle of red Burgundy is Domaine Guillemot in Savigny-Les-Beaune. The domaine's relatively young vines in Gravains are now of sufficient age that the domaine bottles it as a separate 1er cru along with Jarrons, Narbantons and Serpentieres. The 2013 Guillemot Savigny-Les-Beaune Gravains is quintessential Guillemot - a pale, red color; light red fruits and soil on the nose; and fresh and cool on the palate with red fruit that is on the bright, almost crunchy side. It has a fine texture and it glides down oh so easily. The acids are brisk, the tannins appropriately firm at this early stage, and it finishes with Guillemot's telltale orange rind note.
Martin, I was going to drop you a line about this very wine today! Last night, after six days of visiting family in Florida without wine and a 17 hour journey back to Seattle, I opened this up. It was as you say, with maybe a streak of iron or flint through the palate. It had a lovely structure, and plenty of complexity for a young burg. It really hit the spot.

The price on Guillemot has been creeping up a bit, but I enjoy them about as much as any other $40 bottle of pinot noir. I'm still a buyer.

Michael

Martin Steinley

#174 Post by Martin Steinley » December 30th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Craig G wrote:Last year I had a 1989 Guillemot Serpentieres and it was in great shape.
As was a 1978 a few years ago. So good that the young Guillemot who served it to me at the domaine decided that it was going on their dinner table that evening and he sent me off with the current vintage.
Michael Davidson wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:For my palate, among the surest places that I can look for a satisfying bottle of red Burgundy is Domaine Guillemot in Savigny-Les-Beaune. The domaine's relatively young vines in Gravains are now of sufficient age that the domaine bottles it as a separate 1er cru along with Jarrons, Narbantons and Serpentieres. The 2013 Guillemot Savigny-Les-Beaune Gravains is quintessential Guillemot - a pale, red color; light red fruits and soil on the nose; and fresh and cool on the palate with red fruit that is on the bright, almost crunchy side. It has a fine texture and it glides down oh so easily. The acids are brisk, the tannins appropriately firm at this early stage, and it finishes with Guillemot's telltale orange rind note.
Martin, I was going to drop you a line about this very wine today! Last night, after six days of visiting family in Florida without wine and a 17 hour journey back to Seattle, I opened this up. It was as you say, with maybe a streak of iron or flint through the palate. It had a lovely structure, and plenty of complexity for a young burg. It really hit the spot.

The price on Guillemot has been creeping up a bit, but I enjoy them about as much as any other $40 bottle of pinot noir. I'm still a buyer.

Michael
I expect that the 17 hour journey was with young children. I hope that you had the bottle to yourself. I get the flint/iron thing you mention which contributes to the cool impression on the palate.
ITB

Michael Davidson

#175 Post by Michael Davidson » January 6th, 2016, 10:46 pm

2012 Chauvenet Bourgogne Rouge tonight. Great complexity for this level. A bit of funk on the nose, nice red fruits and earth. Energetic. Light, but not thin. A first for me from this producer, but definitely not the last.

Michael

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#176 Post by Kirk.Grant » January 7th, 2016, 7:12 pm

• 2010 A. et P. de Villaine Mercurey Les Montots - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey (1/7/2016)
    This is really in a beautiful spot with a little time to breathe in the glass. I'm presently consuming the last half of the bottle that was opened last night. I loved it last night, but it was still a little tight. Right now, I couldn't be happier. Light bodied, high tones red fruits, a silky mouth-feel with just a hint of green-ness on the palate and nose. A great bottle to consume while you're waiting for your village level wines to get ready. I'd assume this will probably be at peak in 2-3 years but could drink well for another 6-8+ years with good storage. A value to be had if you're a Burgundy lover. Excellent!!!
Posted from CellarTracker
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Keith Levenberg

#177 Post by Keith Levenberg » January 15th, 2016, 8:27 am

Roger Belland 1996 Santenay 1er Cru, Beauregard
Really beautiful bottle of Burgundy - at the early stage of true maturity but seems to have the stuffing and density to hold on for awhile. Ready to go pretty much from the pop of the cork, too. A healthy, fresh ruby in color, yet the fruit is in a mostly tertiary stage with savory, earthy aromatics while still having plenty of body and sweet flesh and with that sticky, sappy grip that only age brings once the structure has simmered down. I bought this very recently for $20 a bottle. If you factor in storage costs of $1 per year, that means the wine was FREE! Don't give up on your off-the-beaten-path Burgundies, people! They can age superbly, too.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#178 Post by Mike Evans » January 15th, 2016, 1:00 pm

1998 Château de Chamirey Mercurey Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey (1/13/2016)
Definitely past peak, but it's not dead yet either. It shows its age with golden color and some butterscotch and it retains a rich mouthfeel, but lemon and minerals and tangy acidity keep it fresh. In a very pleasant surprise, about 1/2 the bottle that was left in the refrigerator was fresher and more complex on the third day. (87 pts.)

m. ristev

#179 Post by m. ristev » January 16th, 2016, 6:20 pm

so young, so fresh, fantastic qpr
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.66 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
mајкл

KatrinaBI

#180 Post by KatrinaBI » January 23rd, 2016, 11:07 am

2012 Domaine Ragot Givry 1er La Grande Berge I posted a query about this wine about a year ago, but no responses were forthcoming. Bourgogne Aujourd'hui gave the wine a fairly good review though so, on the strength of that, I purchased 3 bttls. I'm glad I did. Last night we opened our first. It was somewhat reticent on the nose with an odd lime note. Palate, however, was crystalline and pure with raspberry, fresh red cherries and a hint of licorice. Fruit, acid and tannin in seamless equipoise. If any of that IPOB crowd are seriously still seeking balance, they should come get schooled by this wine. Not very complex, but such a neat little package and, at $25, a great qpr. Delicious mid week drink. Why can't all sub $25 burgundies be this good.

Robert Panzer

#181 Post by Robert Panzer » January 23rd, 2016, 5:33 pm

Clos Salomon makes a 1er cru blanc from la Grande Berge. Good to see other little piggies making it to market, Katrina.

Martin Steinley

#182 Post by Martin Steinley » March 31st, 2016, 10:50 pm

I am not sure whether Bize Savigny-les-Beaune qualify as off-the-beaten-path Burgundies, but the 2011 Fournaux is red-fruited, open-knit and very pretty, even at this early stage, wheres the 2011 Marconnets is a much sterner, linear, tannic wine which will need years to unfurl. Both have freshness, purity and persistence, with plenty of material for a long evolution in bottle. I have always liked the 2011 vintage and the more I drink the more I like it. Early assessments of it have made for buying opportunities.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#183 Post by Martin Steinley » May 29th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Being based in Chassagne-Montrachet, Jean-Marc Morey is best known for his whites, but, to may palate, his reds are some the best going from the Cote de Beaune, and some of the best priced. His Santenay cuvees, the villages Cornieres and the 1er cru Grand Clos Rousseau, are superb for $30 and $45, respectively. I believe that his daughter, Caroline Morey, wife of Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey, now has a hand in making those two cuvees. I don't know if she participates in the making of the Beaune Greves, but the 2012 last night was the equal of the Santenay Grand Clos Rousseau, albeit with the fruit shading more towards dark than red. Even at this young age, it is fragrant, nicely fleshy on the palate, and persistent; lovely texture too. It may just be me, but I could drink a Jean-Marc Morey red pretty much every night and never tire of them. I wouldn't call them easy wines and I fully expect that they will age beautifully, but they do seem to offer up a lot of pleasure early.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#184 Post by Martin Steinley » June 4th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Jeremy Holmes wrote:One of he other areas worthy of exploring in this thread are excellent red wines made by white wine makers. Ramonet are right at the top of this pack. They make pure, fresh, fragrant reds that have a track record of aging for decades. They are very much under-valued.

2010 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 'Morgeot' 1er Cru Rouge: Looks like top tier Volnay 'Caillerets' but perhaps a little more chunky. Delicious strawberry and cherry fruit. Excellent minerality. Flesh overlays structure. Some violets come to the fore with air. Lovely balance and proportion.
To borrow from Jeremy's vocabulary, we punched in the 2013 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet La Boudriottes Rouge last night. I took one smell and sip and dashed to my laptop to see if the importer had any more (alas, no). Kathleen put her nose in the glass and looked at me as if to say "are you kidding me?" After she took a sip, she began doing backflips around the table (which is quite a scene as she is 6'1" and our old Craftsman has box beam ceilings). In any case, this wine is a poster child for Jeremy's point above. Definitely Volnay-like - fragrant, rich, pure, with a luxurious texture and lingering perfume. Quite simply a beautiful bottle of Burgundy that I expect will drink well for all of its long life.
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#185 Post by Jeremy Holmes » June 4th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Nice work Martin. Sounds delicious.
ITB

Robert Panzer

#186 Post by Robert Panzer » June 5th, 2016, 4:19 am

'13 Chassagne rouge wines can be lovely with a side of lovely sauce. Sounds like the Ramonet Boudriottes '13 was singin' Martin.
The Chateau de la Maltroye Chassagne rouge '13s are beauts as well (Boudriottes, Clos Saint Jean (how I adore the airy delicacy of that one...), Clos du Chateau rouge).
How quickly the world/economic fashion has forgotten that Chassagne was a red wine village first!!

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#187 Post by Howard Cooper » June 5th, 2016, 6:06 am

The wines age well also. I had a 1999 Ramonet Boudriottes a year or two ago and it was wonderful.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Martin Steinley

#188 Post by Martin Steinley » June 5th, 2016, 10:09 am

Robert Panzer wrote:How quickly the world/economic fashion has forgotten that Chassagne was a red wine village first!!
Exactly, Robert. In large part due to Jeremy's many good notes of older bottles of red from the south I began paying much more attention to them years ago and find that in many cases I prefer them to the reds from the north, even leaving aside that they are half the price. I am torn as to whether it is a good or bad thing that it remains somewhat of sisyphus-like task introducing Burgundy drinkers to them, particularly new Burgundy drinkers who come seeking the wines from the north they have read about.
ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#189 Post by alan weinberg » June 5th, 2016, 10:24 am

not sure if mentioned, and not really off the beaten path, but F. Magnien's CdNV Croix Viollette is often a lovely and not expensive red Burg to enjoy short to mid term.

Martin Steinley

#190 Post by Martin Steinley » July 3rd, 2016, 11:47 am

Jeremy Holmes wrote:2009 Lucien Muzard Santenay ‘Les Champs Claude’: Started off with some spicy oak notes along with smoked meats and red berries. It gained depth in the glass and had the ripeness of fruit of the vintage. It was full and chunky, with plenty of flavour and a savoury, earthy finish.
The 2011 Lucien Muzard Santenay 1er cru Maladiere last night was a lovely bottle of young red Burgundy. Maladiere is Muzard's largest holding, I believe, and generally considered to yield the domaine's most tender/elegant wine, and the 2011 vintage seems to play beautifully into that profile. It's fragrant, with red fruits and a floral top note. On the palate, the fruit is pure, cool and sweet on the attack, and the wine fills out nicely in the mid-palate and finishes with some forest aspects and easy tannins. the 2013 and 2014 vintages of this wine are about $35/bottle. For me, domaines and bottles like this are so much more exciting and interesting than the next release of $100-$300/bottle 1er crus and $50-$100/bottle village wines from a much-heralded producer up north. There is just so much good Burgundy from which to choose under $50, or even $40.
ITB

Kent Comley

#191 Post by Kent Comley » July 4th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Pommard is probably on the beaten track, but the 2005 Domaine Thierry Voilot-Guillemard Pommard La Platiere never fails to disappoint. It has some underlying muscle, but real length and fruit purity, laced with espresso and briar. Softening nicely, but in reality has plenty in reserve. A very good source from my limited sample size.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#192 Post by Martin Steinley » July 15th, 2016, 8:19 am

I am not sure that many of the reputations for the various Burgundy villages hold up so well any more, particularly those held for the villages on the fringes of the big names. In that regard, the more wines I drink from the village of Maranges the more I believe that its reputation for dark, rustic, tannic wines is a thing of the past if ever it applied at all. The 2012 Bachelet-Monnot Maranges 1er cru Clos le la Boutieres is produced from a sliver of a vineyard that abuts the Santenay 1er cru Grand Clos Rousseau, from which Jean-Marc Morey makes (or made) lovely red Burgundy. The vines are old here. The nose is already expressive of dark red fruit, with a forest-like top note. It has a clean, cool, refreshing attack and the dark fruits fill out nicely on the mid-palate. It does finish with some grip, but there is a sweet, floral perfume tagging along. This is a relatively new domaine, with young Marc and Alexandre Bachelet having created it with land acquired from their father and uncle. It is one to watch. This wine is about $30 and expect it will drink beautifully for a long time.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#193 Post by Martin Steinley » July 16th, 2016, 9:36 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
Jeremy Holmes wrote:2009 Lucien Muzard Santenay ‘Les Champs Claude’: Started off with some spicy oak notes along with smoked meats and red berries. It gained depth in the glass and had the ripeness of fruit of the vintage. It was full and chunky, with plenty of flavour and a savoury, earthy finish.
The 2011 Lucien Muzard Santenay 1er cru Maladiere last night was a lovely bottle of young red Burgundy. Maladiere is Muzard's largest holding, I believe, and generally considered to yield the domaine's most tender/elegant wine, and the 2011 vintage seems to play beautifully into that profile. It's fragrant, with red fruits and a floral top note. On the palate, the fruit is pure, cool and sweet on the attack, and the wine fills out nicely in the mid-palate and finishes with some forest aspects and easy tannins. the 2013 and 2014 vintages of this wine are about $35/bottle. For me, domaines and bottles like this are so much more exciting and interesting than the next release of $100-$300/bottle 1er crus and $50-$100/bottle village wines from a much-heralded producer up north. There is just so much good Burgundy from which to choose under $50, or even $40.
I liked the Maladiere enough that I took a look at a sample bottle of the 2013 Lucien Muzard Santenay Les Champs Claude last night. Although it does not possess the elegance and detail of the 2011 Maladiere, I believe that the vintage keeps it a from being as ripe and chunky as Jeremy's 2009. However, as with Jeremy's 2009, this bottle had nice depth of red fruit, and showed good persistence and vigor on the palate consistent with what I find with old vines (just about 100 years-old here). As Bill Nanson mentions in his book, one can see some similarities here to good Chassagne-Montrachet Moregot Rouge. For $30, this is a lot of wine.
ITB

m. ristev

#194 Post by m. ristev » July 17th, 2016, 10:45 am

showing a bit too much wood, not a favorite
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (13.46 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
mајкл

Kent Comley

#195 Post by Kent Comley » July 19th, 2016, 8:59 pm

2014 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay 'Beaurepaire' 1er blanc was humming. Nicely chiselled and perky with excellent cut and purity. Very refined and deftly balanced.
ITB

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#196 Post by Craig G » July 19th, 2016, 9:28 pm

Kent Comley wrote:2014 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay 'Beaurepaire' 1er blanc was humming. Nicely chiselled and perky with excellent cut and purity. Very refined and deftly balanced.
Psst... Martin?

C. Gle@son

Martin Steinley

#197 Post by Martin Steinley » July 19th, 2016, 11:36 pm

On it, Craig.

Great note, Kent. It seems to me that Vincent is where Lamy was several years ago, making whites and reds off the beaten path that compete with 1er crus from Puligny-Montrachet or Vosne-Romanee for about half the price. I can well appreciate that his 2014 whites are really fine.
ITB

Kent Comley

#198 Post by Kent Comley » July 20th, 2016, 4:23 pm

I am becoming increasingly convinced that in the hands of the best producers, whites from Santenay, Saint-Aubin and other less heralded appellations can produce wines that are the equal of good Puligny, Chassagne and Meursault. The tight ass in me continues to search these wines down as I do not want to spend $100 to $200 on a Chardy on a regular basis. The economist in me says that the marginal utility provided of an extra $100 spent is negligible on many occasions.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#199 Post by Martin Steinley » July 23rd, 2016, 12:49 pm

Kent Comley wrote:I am becoming increasingly convinced that in the hands of the best producers, whites from Santenay, Saint-Aubin and other less heralded appellations can produce wines that are the equal of good Puligny, Chassagne and Meursault.
I couldn't agree more, Kent. I remain surprised and disappointed by how many buyers, most often those new to Burgundy, pursue the much-heralded appellations and producers without seemly ever trying something off the beaten path. I know for certain that if I were beginning to build a Burgundy cellar on a budget, I would seldom venture outside of the likes of Maranges, Santenay, St.-Aubin, Blagny rouge, Chassagne-Montrachet rouge, Beaune, Savigny-Les-Beaune, Pernand-Vergelesses and the like. From conscientious producers, the wines are often the equal of wines costing two/three times as much from the much-hearlded appellations.

Henri Prudhon's St.-Aubin wines, both red and white, but perhaps most particularly the St-Aubin 1er cru Sentier du Clou Rouge and 1er cru Rouges-Gorges, are great bargains at about $30. However, for summer-time drinking, Prudhon's 2013 Bourgogne Rouge Les Charmeaux is neat stuff. It is barely darker than most roses, and it takes a chill perfectly. The nose is all pale red fruits along the lines of strawberry. It has a sweet attack of the same, a little flesh and pretty, floral finish. Not a seam to be found. As I am not a big fan of Pinot Noir rose, this fills the bill for me. About $17.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#200 Post by Martin Steinley » July 23rd, 2016, 11:08 pm

At the risk of a monologue, the 2012 Gaunoux Pommard Les Perrieres (the vineyard is between the 973 and 974 as they merge entering Beaune) tonight showed the density of the vintage and the masculine side of Pommard one reads about. The aromas are of dark fruit and forest-like scents. On the palate, there is dark, high-toned cherry fruit with drive and vigor. It finishes with firm, sweet tannins and a surprisingly lingering perfume for a village wine. A new producer for me. Nice stuff that I expect will make a lovely bottle with time; all the constituents are present.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”