Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Martin Steinley

#101 Post by Martin Steinley » October 23rd, 2015, 8:29 pm

Chet, thank you for your insights and recommendations here, which have been gleaned from much real experience. I really like Blagny rouge. I have not had Matrot's, but I really like Jobard's (through 2006) and Cherisy's versions.

Thank you for the Vincent note, Kent. I like this producer as much as you in both red and white. They don't make much wine, but it still surprises me that they do not get more attention. As you and Jeremy have pointed out, they could easily be mistaken for a $100 plus bottle of Cote de Nuits per cru (I sell them for less than $50). I have had each of Gravieres, Passetemps and Beaurepaire many times, but I don't know that I could describe any stylistic differences among them. I know that Gravieres is produced from old vines and is considered by some to the pick of the bunch, but that has not necessarily been my experience. Do you have any thoughts regarding differences among the three crus? Jeremy?
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#102 Post by Jeremy Holmes » October 23rd, 2015, 10:49 pm

I like all of Jean-Marc's reds Martin but the Gravieres is perhaps my favourite. It is the most complete with good depth and plenty of old vine sap. I find the Beaurepaire to be a little more red fruited and the Passetemps to be a little more up front and fruity.

The Beurepaire Blanc is an absolute beauty. Have a look at the 2013, it would hold its own against many a high quality 1er Cru Puligny.

Best Regards
Jeremy
ITB

G. Newman

#103 Post by G. Newman » October 24th, 2015, 7:58 am

KatrinaBI wrote:2012 Les Heritiers du Comte Lafon Viré-Clessé. Very effusive and complex nose with stone fruit, white flowers, citrus and an underpinning of almost saline minerality. A tiny whiff of matchstick. On the palate, this has good acidic drive coupled with some rich, rounded fleshy notes. Complex, balanced and very versatile at the dinner table.

I paid $39 for this and it's just about heading out of the qpr category for me. However, on the strength of this showing, and based on Martin's note above, I'm looking forward to picking up some of the 2014 Macon-Villages bottling which our local store has just gotten in ($19).
+1 on Katrina's recommendation of the Viré-Clessé. Beautiful nose on an elegant wine.

Just over $50, I recently bought all the 2008 Paul Chapelle & ses Filles Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Champgain that I could find. It has a beautiful floral nose, although not the kind of steely raciness you normally associate with the higher end Puligny-Montrachet. Instead it was much richer and expressive even while maintaining a nice balance. I'd suggest adding it to your "off-the-beaten" path list because of its proximity to Blagny, good prices (when you can find it), relatively young domaine by Burgundy standards, and the fact that Champgain is generally overlooked because critics have dismissed the climate as producing wines lacking intensity, weight and complexity. Certainly not my experience with this wine. My wine tasting circle picked it as the WOTD (day-time tasting).
G r a y

El que al mundo vino y no toma vino, ¿a qué vino?

Martin Steinley

#104 Post by Martin Steinley » October 24th, 2015, 8:28 am

Thank you, Jeremy. I have the 2013 Beaurepaire Blanc in my warehouse but haven't gotten to a bottle. Craig Gleason, savvy as he is, usually keeps my Vincent Blanc picked fairly clean.

That's a good call, Gray. I don't know the producer, but it sounds good. Jean-Marc Morey makes a lovely Chassagne-Montrachet Champs Gains Rouge, as well. His Blanc from the same vineyard sells for about $75 and his Rouge, even though the yields are much smaller and the Pinot Noir harder to grow and more labor intensive, is about $45. Definitely a place to look for good red Burgundy at a fair price. I agree with you that the (not necessarily accurate) reputation of the reds from this area keeps a lot of Burg buyers away.
ITB

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » October 24th, 2015, 8:39 am

I have a few Chassagne Rouge headed my way this fall. Will be good to explore what they have to give, I think I have only ever had one or two in the past.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Robert Panzer

#106 Post by Robert Panzer » October 24th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Belland Chassagne 1er Clos Pitois rouge is a very consistent value play, with the same ridiculous disproportionate red vs white pricing.....
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

Martin Steinley

#107 Post by Martin Steinley » October 24th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Robert Panzer wrote:Belland Chassagne 1er Clos Pitois rouge is a very consistent value play, with the same ridiculous disproportionate red vs white pricing.....
This has me looking for my Chassagne-Montrachet map. Clos Pitois?
ITB

G. Newman

#108 Post by G. Newman » October 24th, 2015, 5:10 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:
Robert Panzer wrote:Belland Chassagne 1er Clos Pitois rouge is a very consistent value play, with the same ridiculous disproportionate red vs white pricing.....
It borders Santenay. According to Jasper Morris, it was rated highly by Dr. Lavalle, but is rarely talked about today. Sounds like a good fit for "off-the-beaten" path Burgundy to me.
G r a y

El que al mundo vino y no toma vino, ¿a qué vino?

Martin Steinley

#109 Post by Martin Steinley » October 24th, 2015, 6:09 pm

G. Newman wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:
It borders Santenay. According to Jasper Morris, it was rated highly by Dr. Lavalle, but is rarely talked about today. Sounds like a good fit for "off-the-beaten" path Burgundy to me.
It is indeed nicely situated. Belland family monopoly I understand. Sounds good.
ITB

Keith Levenberg

#110 Post by Keith Levenberg » October 24th, 2015, 7:58 pm

I'm a big fan of Belland and a huge fan of the fact that Santenay always stays cheap. There are still a few '96 Belland Beauregard at HDH for $20.

Martin Steinley

#111 Post by Martin Steinley » October 24th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Keith Levenberg wrote:There are still a few '96 Belland Beauregard at HDH for $20.
[wow.gif]
ITB

chetkern

#112 Post by chetkern » October 25th, 2015, 8:20 am

One could do very well with Auxey Duresses mostly red but some very good whites for sure.
Fichet and Lafouge
Roy and Prunier
Even wines from Roulot and Bize Leroy made some beauties both Domaine and negociant over the years.
They all need time in the cellar however.

Cheers

dbailey

#113 Post by dbailey » October 25th, 2015, 9:07 am

First burg I ever bought a case of was an Auxey-Duresses White, a long time ago. Oh, how much wealthier I would have been without that tasting.
Dan

Dean Alexander

#114 Post by Dean Alexander » October 25th, 2015, 9:34 am

Martin Steinley wrote:Agreed, Tom, Audoin's Marsannays are a lot of wine for $30 or so. Mark, thank you for the Monthelie notes. I have too little experience with the wines. My 2011 Henri Prudhon St.-Aubin Chateniere tonight was a good wine, with abundant yellow fruit and sufficient acids to keep it nicely framed, but it was missing any kind of mineral underpinning or citrus line, along the likes of which, in the 2010, really zings the strings. Chateniere is a well-exposed vineyard; maybe too much so in 2011.
I've had 3 bottles of 2011 Henri Prudhon's en Remilly and Murgers Dents des Chiens, and have generally been quite disappointed, since he has such an excellent reputation. One En Remilly was badly premoxed. The others where very tight and pine resin laden - not a flavor I enjoy personally. I really did like the 2013 JM Morey Santenay Cornieres Blanc, which I drank Friday night. Note that I do work for the California importer. None the less it was tasty - better than I expected. There is not much imported thought. I think we get between 5 and 10 cases. I agree with the notes on JM Morey Reds - particularly the Greves mentioned above. Chunky and delicious, and will age exceptionally well. Getting up there in price the 2012 Roty Marsannay rocks. A Gevrey in our portfolio well worth the money is the Frederic Esmonin Les Jouise V.V. Full retail would be $45. With small producers, unfortunately there is very little wine and the prices are... well Burgundian.

Martin Steinley

#115 Post by Martin Steinley » October 25th, 2015, 9:56 am

Dean Alexander wrote:I've had 3 bottles of 2011 Henri Prudhon's en Remilly and Murgers Dents des Chiens, and have generally been quite disappointed, since he has such an excellent reputation. One En Remilly was badly premoxed. The others where very tight and pine resin laden - not a flavor I enjoy personally. I really did like the 2013 JM Morey Santenay Cornieres Blanc, which I drank Friday night. Note that I do work for the California importer. None the less it was tasty - better than I expected. There is not much imported thought. I think we get between 5 and 10 cases. I agree with the notes on JM Morey Reds - particularly the Greves mentioned above. Chunky and delicious, and will age exceptionally well. Getting up there in price the 2012 Roty Marsannay rocks. A Gevrey in our portfolio well worth the money is the Frederic Esmonin Les Jouise V.V. Full retail would be $45. With small producers, unfortunately there is very little wine and the prices are... well Burgundian.
Dean, good to see you posting here. I don't believe that Prudhon did very well in 2011. The whites were not as good as usual and the one red I tried was just okay. I must try J-M Morey's Santenay Cornieres Blanc. I see that you have it in stock. Also, I must take a closer look at Roty's impressive Marsannay line up.
ITB

Dean Alexander

#116 Post by Dean Alexander » October 25th, 2015, 10:23 am

Kent Comley wrote:'13 Paul Pillot Chassagne VV on the chopping block tonight. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.
This is delicious. On the big side. Fruity, good for bbq ribs or maybe a full flavored stew. Not something for a more complex meal that would be overpowered by this.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Craig G » October 25th, 2015, 10:28 am

Dean Alexander wrote:A Gevrey in our portfolio well worth the money is the Frederic Esmonin Les Jouise V.V. Full retail would be $45.
I love that wine. Do you get the CdNV Bellevue? I really liked the 2010 but I never see this wine.
“I want to halve your babies” — King Solomon

C. Gle@son

KatrinaBI

#118 Post by KatrinaBI » October 25th, 2015, 10:45 am

I tried two wines from Domaine Ballorin, a relatively new domaine (2005), this week. Grapes are farmed biodynamically. K and L started carrying their wines with the 2011 vintage. Allan Meadows is very positive about the domaine, calling it "an exciting source of high quality, value oriented wines" so I was looking forward to trying them. The first was a bust. A 2012 Fixin Les Chenevieres was heavily reduced on nose and palate. Despite decanting and 48 hours in the fridge, the sulfurous funk never lifted. Too bad as I could sense a really pretty wine underneath.

The 2011 Domaine Ballorin Marsannay Clos Du Roy was much better. There was some reduction at first but this blew off fairly quickly. Very light ruby. Cranberries, wild strawberries and a piney/licorice element. A delicate mouthfeel but not without some depth to the flavors. Nicely balanced with a purity of fruit that is attractive. Reminds me somewhat of an Evesham Wood pinot but with a tad more sweetness to the fruit. Fair value at $30ish.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#119 Post by alan weinberg » October 25th, 2015, 4:28 pm

KatrinaBI wrote:I tried two wines from Domaine Ballorin, 2012 Fixin Les Chenevieres and 2011 Domaine Ballorin Marsannay Clos Du Roy
never heard of Ballorin, so thank you.

Dean Alexander

#120 Post by Dean Alexander » October 25th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Craig G wrote:
Dean Alexander wrote:A Gevrey in our portfolio well worth the money is the Frederic Esmonin Les Jouise V.V. Full retail would be $45.
I love that wine. Do you get the CdNV Bellevue? I really liked the 2010 but I never see this wine.
Yes. We import the Cote de Nuits Villages. The 2012 was really good. The vineyard is in throwing distance to Nuits Clos de Marechale, but higher on the slope and adjacent to a large Comblanchien marble quarry. The 2013 is good, but the Jouise is worth the extra money this year IMO.

Dean Alexander

#121 Post by Dean Alexander » October 25th, 2015, 5:27 pm

KatrinaBI wrote:I tried two wines from Domaine Ballorin, a relatively new domaine (2005), this week. Grapes are farmed biodynamically. K and L started carrying their wines with the 2011 vintage. Allan Meadows is very positive about the domaine, calling it "an exciting source of high quality, value oriented wines" so I was looking forward to trying them. The first was a bust. A 2012 Fixin Les Chenevieres was heavily reduced on nose and palate. Despite decanting and 48 hours in the fridge, the sulfurous funk never lifted. Too bad as I could sense a really pretty wine underneath.

The 2011 Domaine Ballorin Marsannay Clos Du Roy was much better. There was some reduction at first but this blew off fairly quickly. Very light ruby. Cranberries, wild strawberries and a piney/licorice element. A delicate mouthfeel but not without some depth to the flavors. Nicely balanced with a purity of fruit that is attractive. Reminds me somewhat of an Evesham Wood pinot but with a tad more sweetness to the fruit. Fair value at $30ish.
It sounds like they let the wines get too reduced, and should have racked them. Hopefully they don't compound, then they will never lose that funk. That said the Havens wines right before they went out of business, were some terribly sulphury wines. Impossible to sell (the company I worked for represented them.) Six or seven years in the cellar did the trick, so you never know. There is always hope!

KatrinaBI

#122 Post by KatrinaBI » October 25th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Dean Alexander wrote:
It sounds like they let the wines get too reduced, and should have racked them. Hopefully they don't compound, then they will never lose that funk. That said the Havens wines right before they went out of business, were some terribly sulphury wines. Impossible to sell (the company I worked for represented them.) Six or seven years in the cellar did the trick, so you never know. There is always hope!

It's good to know that extended cellar time may help, as I have some bottles of the Fixin left. On the other hand, we finished the Marsannay tonight and it was a really pretty wine, with all traces of reduction gone. Absurdly gluggable.

Martin Steinley

#123 Post by Martin Steinley » October 25th, 2015, 6:34 pm

KatrinaBI wrote:On the other hand, we finished the Marsannay tonight and it was a really pretty wine, with all traces of reduction gone. Absurdly gluggable.
Katrina, my experience is that a lot of 2011s on the lower end are precisely this way; really pretty, early drinking Burgundy.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#124 Post by Martin Steinley » October 25th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Dean Alexander wrote:
Kent Comley wrote:'13 Paul Pillot Chassagne VV on the chopping block tonight. Looking forward to seeing how it performs.
This is delicious. On the big side. Fruity, good for bbq ribs or maybe a full flavored stew. Not something for a more complex meal that would be overpowered by this.
Dean, what is your impression of the 2013 Paul Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet Clos St.-Jean Rouge?
ITB

Martin Steinley

#125 Post by Martin Steinley » October 28th, 2015, 10:12 pm

I just typed a rippin' tasting note (well, to the extent that I am capable of such a thing) about the 2010 Domaine Rollin Pere et Fils Pernand-Vergelesses Les Fichots, along with some information about the domaine, and then poof it was gone. It's late. The wine is very Rollin (precise and detailed) and very 2010 (purity of fruit is really lovely). Rollin might get my vote for the under-the-radar domaine in Burgundy.
ITB

Robert Pavlovich

#126 Post by Robert Pavlovich » October 28th, 2015, 11:06 pm

I echo the Prudhon disappointment, though I had better luck with the '11 En Remilly than with the '10 which was over saturated with oak.

Also just recently had my Auxey Duresses White epiphany the other day, bottled under screw cap no less.

Martin Steinley

#127 Post by Martin Steinley » October 31st, 2015, 10:59 am

Neal Rosenthal recently picked up Domaine du Clos des Rocs, which is situated in the tiny Pouilly-Loche appellation (32 hectares total), just to the east of Pouilly-Fuisse. Pouilly-Loche wines enjoy a good reputation in France, but very little of it makes its way over here. The wines have a reputation for being leaner and more precise than those from Pouilly-Fuisse. The domaine follows organic methods, hand harvesting, native yeasts and other such practices which tend to yield wines of purity. The 2014 Macon-Loche En Pres Foret ($20ish), which is raised largely in steel, is a clean, fresh, direct wine with enough concentration and delineation to be quite satisfying. The 2012 Pouilly-Loche Les Mures ($30ish), from 40 year-old vines growing in lime-stone soil situated right next to the domaine's Clos des Rocs monopole vineyard, is a big step up. The aroma is citrus infused, and the white/yellow fruit on the palate has a deep mineral core with a bright lemon/tangerine note. The acids are brisk and the wine lingers on the palate. For those looking to avoid any pre-mox risk and not interested in drinking white Burgundy before maturity, this may be a domaine to check out. This wine was WOTN among a bunch of samples I threw at my dinner group earlier this week. I will have a look at the domaine's Clos des Rocs monopole shortly, which comes from 70 year-old vines and is known to the most saline and mineral wine of the portfolio.
ITB

A Yambor
Contributor
Contributor

#128 Post by A Yambor » October 31st, 2015, 12:58 pm

2013 Paul Pillot Bourogone Blanc is already delicious and well worth seeking out. It is bright & mineral-inflected with good flesh.
Anthony Yambor
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#129 Post by Jeremy Holmes » November 1st, 2015, 3:04 pm

2013 Jean Fournier Marsannay 'Trois Terres' V.V: A selection of old vine Marsannay parcels planted in 1935, 1939 and 1943 respectively. This is deeply coloured and quite dense. It has deliciously creamy black cherry fruit and a touch of spice. There are some florals and plenty of mineral and earth. The wine has chalky structure and bright, crunchy acidity on the finish.
ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by alan weinberg » November 1st, 2015, 4:50 pm

Jeremy Holmes wrote:2013 Jean Fournier Marsannay 'Trois Terres' V.V: A selection of old vine Marsannay parcels planted in 1935, 1939 and 1943 respectively. This is deeply coloured and quite dense. It has deliciously creamy black cherry fruit and a touch of spice. There are some florals and plenty of mineral and earth. The wine has chalky structure and bright, crunchy acidity on the finish.
glad it was good--you certainly don't want Fournier's disease: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10584624/

Jeremy Holmes

#131 Post by Jeremy Holmes » November 1st, 2015, 5:42 pm

Sounds nasty Alan.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#132 Post by Martin Steinley » November 2nd, 2015, 8:20 am

Never heard of Fournier, domaine or disease. Thanks for the note, Jeremy; sounds good. The 2012 Jean-Marc Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Champs Gains Rouge last night was yielding very little on the nose even with coaxing. It's bright and sappy on the palate, but the soil-driven black cherry fruit is quite firm and taut. I believe that all the constituents are there for quite a satisfying bottle, but it will need a fair bit of time. Morey's Santenay Grand Clos Rousseau, at least at this early stage, is a fair step up.
ITB

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#133 Post by Nowell Karten » November 4th, 2015, 1:24 am

2014 Patrick Piuze Chablis Terroir de Cichee (Village A.C.) Nose of green fruit and oyster shells carries through to mineral-laden medium body of good acid/fruit balance and a long finish. Not particularly complex or concentrated (compared to the Grand Crus), but it's a good wine for $27.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Now part-time ITB (online retail)

m. ristev

#134 Post by m. ristev » November 5th, 2015, 3:00 am

had the 2013 rully premier cru en vauvry from cossard and was really impressed. normally rully is too lush and round for my taste but this was very linear with fantastic acidity. the nose was straight out of chablis with sea shells and salinity. it really reminded me of a good montee de tonnerre. the balance was perfect and the level of ripeness was to my taste. all in all a very fine and pure wine of modest appellation. it is the best rully i have tasted and also the only cossard wine i have actually enjoyed drinking. it was far superior to his 2010 puligny i had in the winter. however i still feel his wines are overpriced.
mајкл

dbailey

#135 Post by dbailey » November 5th, 2015, 3:29 am

Had the 14 version of the Drouhin rully 1er cru for the first time this week. This has been our house white wine since the 09 vintage and the 14 is by far the best vintage we've tried. Really super stuff. £16/bottle in the UK but available with 25% off at the moment.
Dan

Martin Steinley

#136 Post by Martin Steinley » November 5th, 2015, 7:45 am

The 2012 Joseph Roty Marsannay Les Ouzeloy has a lovely dark fruit aroma, and a rich core of really beautiful black cherry fruit with some soil notes. There is no denying the fruit purity of the wine, and there is no obtrusive oak; however, for my palate, it is lacking the clarity and energy I seek in Burgundy. The wine is certainly of high quality, just not my cup of tea. Without intending to be pejorative in any way, I believe that this wine would be ideal for new world Pinot drinkers transitioning to Burgundy as the richness and roundness of the fruit will remind them of "home" and the soil influences will have then firmly in Burgundy. I would like to taste this wine again in 15 or 20 years as I expect it will stretch out and become more interesting to me.
ITB

Kent Comley

#137 Post by Kent Comley » November 8th, 2015, 1:54 pm

Ok it's white but 2013 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey St Aubin Les Pucelles is flat out lovely juice. Just a village wine from St-Aubin but could easily pass for Meursault. Good volume and chalky texture. Bright and energetic.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#138 Post by Martin Steinley » November 8th, 2015, 9:26 pm

Sounds really good, Kent. I had hoped to see notes about both red and white here.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#139 Post by Martin Steinley » November 13th, 2015, 8:06 am

Ghislaine Barthod is certainly not off the beaten path, but I don't recall seeing any notes here about her Bourgogne Rouge "Bons Batons." Well, the 2012 version is among the best Bourgogne Rouge to ever glide across my palate; and that is just what it does is "glide." As one goes up the Burgundy hierarchy, the wines don't always possess more power/concentration, but they are finer, broader, more nuanced and persistent, and the texture more luxurious. This wine has a deep core of red cherry fruit; it is fragrant, clean, fine, transparent and persistent on the palate; pretty as picture. It's $40, but at least top tier villages-level wine. As I enjoyed this over dinner last night, I was kicking myself for not holding back any of my 2012 Barthod allocation; I had so little and there was so much demand, I let it all go. [head-bang.gif]
ITB

Martin Steinley

#140 Post by Martin Steinley » November 14th, 2015, 10:19 am

The fresh-from-the-domaine 2000 Domaine Pavelot Savigny-Les-Beaune Peuillets last night was pretty much just what the doctor ordered after a long week of meetings and the tragic news out of Paris. There were no fireworks here, but the wine has entered a window of maturity where I expect it will remain for at least another decade. The wine is dark crimson with no bricking. It took a few minutes for a little funk to blow off and then some additional time for the nose to open and show darkish fruit and a distinct iron/mineral component, with a little sous bois action creeping in. It has the sweet, pretty 2000 fruit on the palate lifted by some good acids and still grippy tannins, and finishes with the same iron/sous bois note found on the nose. My wife and I seldom finish a bottle at dinner, but this went down easily as we sat around the dinner table for a couple of hours with our teenage boys and their friends discussing how peace (and a stop to climate change) might be achieved in the world.
ITB

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by Nowell Karten » November 14th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:...My wife and I seldom finish a bottle at dinner, but this went down easily as we sat around the dinner table for a couple of hours with our teenage boys and their friends discussing how peace (and a stop to climate change) might be achieved in the world.
Now that sounds like an enjoyable wine experience. [cheers.gif]
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Now part-time ITB (online retail)

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#142 Post by alan weinberg » November 14th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Martin Steinley wrote: we sat around the dinner table for a couple of hours with our teenage boys and their friends discussing how peace (and a stop to climate change) might be achieved in the world.
any conclusions?

Martin Steinley

#143 Post by Martin Steinley » November 14th, 2015, 4:52 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote: we sat around the dinner table for a couple of hours with our teenage boys and their friends discussing how peace (and a stop to climate change) might be achieved in the world.
any conclusions?
Well, no, that would have taken another bottle, but getting THC into the world-wide water supply (and there is another problem) was a popular idea.
Last edited by Martin Steinley on November 14th, 2015, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#144 Post by Martin Steinley » November 22nd, 2015, 9:13 am

Kermit Lynch has a portfolio which includes many big names, a good number of which are scarce and, as a result, expensive. However, his portfolio is full of little-known domaines which make delicious wine. Domaine Henri Perrusset is one of them. I believe that his Macon-Villages should be required tasting for any young vigneron setting out to make a bottle of Chardonnay. The 2013 Henri Perrusset Macon-Villages has a clean, fresh white fruit/floral aroma, and the wine is firm but with good flesh on the palate. It's clean as a whistle; bare-naked Chardonnay for about $15. A few months back, Robert Alfert identified the Graville-Lacoste Graves Blanc in Kermit's portfolio as having a good QPR; this is the white Burgundy equivalent of that wine.
ITB

Mark C Johnson

#145 Post by Mark C Johnson » November 22nd, 2015, 3:12 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:Kermit Lynch has a portfolio which includes many big names, a good number of which are scarce and, as a result, expensive. However, his portfolio is full of little-known domaines which make delicious wine. Domaine Henri Perrusset is one of them. I believe that his Macon-Villages should be required tasting for any young vigneron setting out to make a bottle of Chardonnay. The 2013 Henri Perrusset Macon-Villages has a clean, fresh white fruit/floral aroma, and the wine is firm but with good flesh on the palate. It's clean as a whistle; bare-naked Chardonnay for about $15. A few months back, Robert Alfert identified the Graville-Lacoste Graves Blanc in Kermit's portfolio as having a good QPR; this is the white Burgundy equivalent of that wine.
I've always enjoyed the Macon-Farges which is a step up in quality and just a few bucks more. [cheers.gif]
Memes & Tropes

Martin Steinley

#146 Post by Martin Steinley » November 23rd, 2015, 4:30 pm

Right, Mark, you get to the old-vine cuvee for just a couple bucks more. Last night, the 2011 Rollin Pernand-Vergelesses Ile des Vergelesses had the juicy, crunchy fruit of the 2011 Rollin Pernand-Vergelesses Rouge AOC, but it had more stuffing in the mid-palate and finished more sternly and firmly, and with a fair bit of grip (even grit). I expect that it will be singing at about age 15 or 20, but it will never be as pretty and lip-smackingly-good as the AOC.
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#147 Post by Jeremy Holmes » November 23rd, 2015, 5:11 pm

Had my last bottle of 2007 Jean-Marc Vincent 'Beaurepaire' Blanc 1er Cru on the weekend. It has some struck match to the aroma along with pure white peach and lemon. There is a gentle butteriness to the feel in the mouth but it is compact with a strong line of minerally acidity. It has so much finesse and fidelity and the finish is very persistent. Drinks like a top shelf Puligny 1er Cru.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#148 Post by Martin Steinley » November 23rd, 2015, 8:06 pm

I couldn't agree more, Jeremy. Vincent's whites are in the same league as Lamy's and PYCM's St.-Aubin wines, but few know about them over here, and Craig Gleason buys them up so fast that few see them. As you and Kent have pointed out, the reds ain't too shabby either.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#149 Post by Martin Steinley » November 25th, 2015, 10:29 pm

The 2013 Charles Van Canneyt (winemaker at his family's domaine, Hudelot-Noellat) Bourgogne Rouge is my first bottle under his own label and it is delicious. It is, to my palate and thinking, just what Bourgogne out to be. I thought something good was in store when the wine poured out a translucent, light ruby color. The nose is a fresh, red fruit affair, and the wine has a sweet/tart, focused core of strawberry/cranberry fruit on the attack; the crunchy/sappy sort. It finishes cool, with brisk, but easy tannins. I am going to buy a case to drink, and a case to cellar for fun. Groovy stuff for about $25 a throw.
ITB

Kent Comley

#150 Post by Kent Comley » November 25th, 2015, 10:45 pm

Sounds good Martin. Need to crack an 'off the beaten path tonight' - you cannot do it all alone.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”