Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Martin Steinley

#1 Post by Martin Steinley » September 28th, 2015, 10:26 pm

Kermit Lynch said many years ago that if one is looking for the best values, one must look where others aren't looking. Never has that been more true than in Burgundy today (for all of the obvious reasons). In the recent under-the-radar red Burgundy thread, Dan Bailey chimed in with the likes of Jean-Marc Pillot's lovely Chassagne-Montrachet Clos St. Jean (from 110 year-old plus vines) and Jeremy Holmes identified Jean-Marc Vincent's beautiful Santenay cuvees and others.

My aim is to begin a thread where members post their notes regarding off-the-beaten-path red and white Burgundies, the likes of Maranges, Santenay, red Chassagne-Montrachet, Blagny (particularly rouge), Aloxe-Corton, Pernand-Vergelesses, Ladoix, Fixin, Marsannay, Givry, etc. All the better if the poster is able to share some further insight into the domaine.

I will start things off with the 2011/2012 Domaine Jean-Marc Morey Santenay Cornieres. My local Rosenthal rep sent me a sample of the 2011, but, sadly, I was slow to get to it. It has everything one could possibly want in a $30ish red Burgundy - a lovely aroma of dusty red fruits and spice, with purity, intensity, precision and freshness on the palate. It registers cool, and the tannins are sweet and easy. The 2012 is in the same mold, but has more density to the core. If you see this wine anywhere for near $30, my recommendation is that you buy it. I saw some e-mail high-fivin' among Rosenthal personnel regarding the 2011 of this wine, and it was for very good reason. I wish that I had more stacks to sell. Unlike some Chassagne-Montrachet producers, Jean-Marc Morey takes his reds seriously, although his best red may be his Santenay Grand Clos Rousseau (TN to follow).

Disclaimer: I sell Jean-Marc Morey wines and likely the others I will post about in this thread.
Last edited by Martin Steinley on March 14th, 2017, 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ITB

Stan Y.

#2 Post by Stan Y. » September 29th, 2015, 6:19 am

I get to try only a small fraction of what you guys do but my favorite $30 red Burg producer 2010-2012 is Michel Juillot in Mercurey, imported by Weygandt. Sweet and easy is a great description of my impression of the Morey Santenay Cornieres, whereas the Juillot wines have more acid, structure, and flavor intensity, especially the 1er crus, at the expense of a touch of lean/green. I think this may be more of a personal preference along a continuum of generosity and fruit to austerity and precision. BTW by $30ish I mean usual street price not special buys or closing out back vintages (e.g. just ordered some '13 H-N Chambolle village at $39 where some folks will claim it is a $30 wine but clearly not IMO).

Keep these suggestions coming, this is a great topic...am always looking for satisfying Burgs to try that approach a daily- or at least weekly-drinker price point.
S. Y @ t € s

Jerry Hey

#3 Post by Jerry Hey » September 29th, 2015, 7:23 am

Interesting note on the JM Morey reds. I bought 07, and 09, and 10 Beaune Greves from JM Morey and at about $40 a bottle, they are great QPR wines, and will probably last for several more years. I had the 09 last week and it was earthy with good fruit and a nice Burgundian nose of spice and mushrooms.

Keith Levenberg

#4 Post by Keith Levenberg » September 29th, 2015, 8:09 am

2012 Jacqueson Rully 1er cru "La Pucelle" blanc - terrific. This is one of the reasons I'm convinced it's almost never necessary to spend more than about $30 on a chardonnay, as this has pretty much everything I want out of the grape. Crystalline on day one, cut like a jewel with a chalky, dusty minerality that impacts the texture as much as the taste, all briny oysters on the finish, holds up well in the fridge for days putting on weight and getting deeper, more brassy tones while still featuring that chalky freshness.

Jay T.

#5 Post by Jay T. » September 29th, 2015, 8:33 am

Keith Levenberg wrote:2012 Jacqueson Rully 1er cru "La Pucelle" blanc - terrific. This is one of the reasons I'm convinced it's almost never necessary to spend more than about $30 on a chardonnay, as this has pretty much everything I want out of the grape. Crystalline on day one, cut like a jewel with a chalky, dusty minerality that impacts the texture as much as the taste, all briny oysters on the finish, holds up well in the fridge for days putting on weight and getting deeper, more brassy tones while still featuring that chalky freshness.
This recommendation illustrates one of the challenges with this thread. I respect Keith's tastes and immediately went to see where I could source this wine. No vintage of it is currently selling at a wine-searcher.com participating retailer in the United States. Living in Maine, it looks unlikely that I'll ever see a bottle. Bummer. Pass the Jadot.
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

Martin Steinley

#6 Post by Martin Steinley » September 29th, 2015, 8:34 am

Jerry Hey wrote:Interesting note on the JM Morey reds. I bought 07, and 09, and 10 Beaune Greves from JM Morey and at about $40 a bottle, they are great QPR wines, and will probably last for several more years. I had the 09 last week and it was earthy with good fruit and a nice Burgundian nose of spice and mushrooms.
Sounds good, Jerry. It doesn't surprise me that Morey's Greves is a good bottle. I have not had it.
Keith Levenberg wrote:2012 Jacqueson Rully 1er cru "La Pucelle" blanc - terrific. This is one of the reasons I'm convinced it's almost never necessary to spend more than about $30 on a chardonnay, as this has pretty much everything I want out of the grape. Crystalline on day one, cut like a jewel with a chalky, dusty minerality that impacts the texture as much as the taste, all briny oysters on the finish, holds up well in the fridge for days putting on weight and getting deeper, more brassy tones while still featuring that chalky freshness.
Thank you, Keith, this sounds great. Do you recall the importer?
ITB

Keith Levenberg

#7 Post by Keith Levenberg » September 29th, 2015, 11:28 am

I dunno but I bought it at MacArthur like two weeks ago, so it shouldn't be that much of a, um, unicorn.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Howard Cooper » September 29th, 2015, 11:51 am

A good $30 Burg that I had recently was 2012 Domaine Philippe Charlopin-Parizot Marsannay Les Echezots. Not terribly complex, but very delicious.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Chuck Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Chuck Anderson » September 29th, 2015, 11:56 am

Huh, there were at least a few Jacqueson bottlings in the recent Flickinger sale, but yeah, currently wine-searcher (amateur edition) only shows one red @ MacArthur, in the whole US.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Howard Cooper » September 29th, 2015, 11:56 am

Keith Levenberg wrote:I dunno but I bought it at MacArthur like two weeks ago, so it shouldn't be that much of a, um, unicorn.
Not sure if it is the same one, but there is still a wine from the same producer on MacArthur's web site.

Look, most Burgundy is small production wine. It is not Jack Daniels and will not be in every liquor store in America. I love wines from big producers like Jadot, Drouhin and Bouchard, but I hope that people will continue to post on small producers.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Howard Cooper » September 29th, 2015, 11:58 am

Chuck Anderson wrote:Huh, there were at least a few Jacqueson bottlings in the recent Flickinger sale, but yeah, currently wine-searcher (amateur edition) only shows one red @ MacArthur, in the whole US.
I bet that within a year a new vintage of these and every other small producer will appear, they will be grabbed up by people who know and love the wines and people again will have to wait for the next vintage to arrive. This is true with most good small production wine from everywhere in the world.
Howard

Jay T.

#12 Post by Jay T. » September 29th, 2015, 11:59 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
Keith Levenberg wrote:I dunno but I bought it at MacArthur like two weeks ago, so it shouldn't be that much of a, um, unicorn.
Not sure if it is the same one, but there is still a wine from the same producer on MacArthur's web site.

Look, most Burgundy is small production wine. It is not Jack Daniels and will not be in every liquor store in America. I love wines from big producers like Jadot, Drouhin and Bouchard, but I hope that people will continue to post on small producers.
Completely agree. To the extent people know, however, it might be helpful when talking about a very small producer to also say something about how/where it was found and any info on availability. In this example, the MacArthur info was very helpful; I order wine from them regularly.
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

Kent Comley

#13 Post by Kent Comley » September 29th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Lovely 2007 Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet Macharelles 1er on the weekend. Showed a lick of oak, open knit '07 personality, but good richness and supple texture. Not a big fan of 07 vintage, but I am pleased that I have 3 dozen of Pillot Chassagne rouges from the vintage for mid week consumption.
ITB

Kent Comley

#14 Post by Kent Comley » September 29th, 2015, 9:13 pm

2011 Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge is pretty ordinary. Hard work to drink really.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#15 Post by Martin Steinley » September 29th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Kent Comley wrote:2011 Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge is pretty ordinary. Hard work to drink really.
Thank you for the notes, Kent. I like 2011 red Burgundy more than most it seems, but I haven't found much in this category to recommend.
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#16 Post by Jeremy Holmes » September 30th, 2015, 12:21 am

Olivier Lamy's 2013 Bourgogne Blanc 'Les Chataigners' is from a vineyard that is just outside of St.Aubin. It drinks like an excellent St.Aubin. It is steely, nervy, rocky and sharp. There are citrus, blossom and mineral notes and the wine has great cut and good persistence. A Chablis lover's Cote de Beaune
ITB

Martin Steinley

#17 Post by Martin Steinley » September 30th, 2015, 7:27 am

Jeremy Holmes wrote:Olivier Lamy's 2013 Bourgogne Blanc 'Les Chataigners' is from a vineyard that is just outside of St.Aubin. It drinks like an excellent St.Aubin. It is steely, nervy, rocky and sharp. There are citrus, blossom and mineral notes and the wine has great cut and good persistence. A Chablis lover's Cote de Beaune
Thank you, Jeremy. I did not know that Lamy made such a wine. I have never seen it over here (and quantities of his St.-Aubins continue to dwindle). It seems that Lamy has pretty much everything dialed in.
ITB

Nowell Karten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Nowell Karten » September 30th, 2015, 3:59 pm

A recent 2005 Lamy St. Aubin "Derrière Chez Edouard - Vieilles Vignes" rouge was quite tasty.
In the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe,...

Now part-time ITB (online retail)

Jeremy Holmes

#19 Post by Jeremy Holmes » September 30th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Martín, it is sourced from a vineyard next to La Princée but just outside of the St. Aubin boundary.
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#20 Post by Jeremy Holmes » September 30th, 2015, 4:56 pm

Had the 2013 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay 1er Cru Gravières last night. So delicious with plush cherry fruits and great rocky detail. The stems influence gives off ethereal whiffs of rose petal on the nose. Beautiful balance and a thoroughly engaging wine. If it was from Chambolle it would be three times the price.
ITB

Kent Comley

#21 Post by Kent Comley » September 30th, 2015, 5:03 pm

Not Burgundy, but close, 2011 Vissoux Fleurie Poncie was delicious, like biting into a perfectly ripe cherry. Seems '11s have improved nicely in the bottle.
Agree Jeremy re the Vincent. Lovely wine.
ITB

Keith Levenberg

#22 Post by Keith Levenberg » September 30th, 2015, 6:21 pm

Jeremy, thanks for your recommendation of Vincent in the Santenay thread awhile back. I got some of the 2010s and they were killer.

Jeremy Holmes

#23 Post by Jeremy Holmes » September 30th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Cheers Keith. Glad you liked it.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#24 Post by Martin Steinley » September 30th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Indeed, Jeremy, those Jean-Marc Vincent wines are gems, including the whites. I recall Kermit Lynch, who imports the wines here, saying that it was Vincent's Auxey-Duresses Blanc Les Hautes that really grabbed him. In any case, Jean-Marc Pillot's 2012 Santenay "Les Champs Claude" may not reach the heights of Vincent's Gravieres, but it certainly delivers a nice punch of Pinot Noir, Burgundy style. The nose shades toward the darker red fruit spectrum with a bright eucalyptus note. On the palate, it has good red fruit-concentration, density and grip. Relative to the Morey Cornieres above, this might be described as somewhat rustic, but for about $35 it delivers for mid-week red Burgundy. I can see this stretching out and becoming more transparent and interesting in 10-15 years as it certainly has the stuffing to age.
ITB

PCLIN

#25 Post by PCLIN » October 1st, 2015, 12:52 am

Wonderful thread, this is where I come to learn about Burgundy.
Chiu Lin

Jeremy Holmes

#26 Post by Jeremy Holmes » October 1st, 2015, 4:56 pm

Great maker, cheaper dirt, terrific wine and sealed with screwcap.

The 2014 Les Heritiers du Comte Lafon Macon-Village is fine elegant and understated. There are notes of flint, citrus and white peach. It has good depth and detail and strong mineral line. There’s a touch of spice and its screwcapped to lock in all of the goodness.
ITB

Tom Moore

#27 Post by Tom Moore » October 1st, 2015, 5:15 pm

I've really enjoyed the wines of Domaine Charles Audoin Marsannay - Champs Salomon, Charmes aux Prêtres, Le Clos de Jeu, Les Favières, Les Longeroies vineyards. I went deep on the 09 vintage and they are all drinking fine now. More on the elegant side for me. All of them around $25 locally.

Mark C Johnson

#28 Post by Mark C Johnson » October 1st, 2015, 6:36 pm

Two from Monthelie. Edge goes to the Eric de Suremain but I'd be happy to drink either.

TN: 2010 Domaine Berthelemot Monthélie (France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie)
  • 2010 Domaine Berthelemot Monthélie - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie (10/1/2015)
    This wine has deep cherry nose and flavor and shows a little closed up. It gets slightly muddy mid palate but is likely to get better in 5-6 years. (87 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

TN: 2011 Domaine de Suremain Monthélie Château de Monthélie
  • 2011 Domaine de Suremain Monthélie Château de Monthélie - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie (10/1/2015)
    Upon opening this wine had a lovely floral note. Deep cherry nose and flavor this tightened up after a half hour open. Very nice attack, mid palate, for the vintage, this wine is very nice. (88 pts.)
Memes & Tropes

Martin Steinley

#29 Post by Martin Steinley » October 1st, 2015, 9:42 pm

Agreed, Tom, Audoin's Marsannays are a lot of wine for $30 or so. Mark, thank you for the Monthelie notes. I have too little experience with the wines. My 2011 Henri Prudhon St.-Aubin Chateniere tonight was a good wine, with abundant yellow fruit and sufficient acids to keep it nicely framed, but it was missing any kind of mineral underpinning or citrus line, along the likes of which, in the 2010, really zings the strings. Chateniere is a well-exposed vineyard; maybe too much so in 2011.
ITB

KatrinaBI

#30 Post by KatrinaBI » October 2nd, 2015, 12:08 pm

I enjoyed a 2012 Château de la Charrière Santenay 1er Cru Clos Rousseau last week. It had lots of ripe cherry with a dash of cherry pit and some earthy notes. Palate is silky and round with good weight and plenty of acidic backbone. A well-balanced wine that ticks all the boxes for me at this price level (around $30). Last night we opened a 2010 Camille Giroud Marsannay Les Longeroies. The winemaker is David Croix, and I expected to like this more, given how much I enjoy his Domaine Des Croix wines. It was deft on its feet, with tart cherry notes and a nice mineral streak. It was well made but just felt a tad lightweight and anonymous. ($30-ish).

Martin Steinley

#31 Post by Martin Steinley » October 2nd, 2015, 9:27 pm

The 2010 Prudhon St.-Aubin Rouge Sur le Sentier du Clou VV is the Volnay that one reads about. It is very lightly colored (as old vine cuvees many times are in my experience), but has a lovely perfume of red fruits. It strikes the palate fresh and cool and fans out nicely on the mid-palate and finish. All red fruits here, and pale at that. It has a forest-like component to it that should develop nicely with age. Really good wine for $30. The 2011 is okay, but a couple notches below this.
ITB

KatrinaBI

#32 Post by KatrinaBI » October 3rd, 2015, 10:23 am

Martin Steinley wrote:The 2010 Prudhon St.-Aubin Rouge Sur le Sentier du Clou VV is the Volnay that one reads about. It is very lightly colored (as old vine cuvees many times are in my experience), but has a lovely perfume of red fruits. It strikes the palate fresh and cool and fans out nicely on the mid-palate and finish. All red fruits here, and pale at that. It has a forest-like component to it that should develop nicely with age. Really good wine for $30. The 2011 is okay, but a couple notches below this.
I liked the 2010 Prudhon St. Aubin 1er Cru Les Rouges Gorges so well that I bought a case. My last note from almost a year ago:
Funk, fennel/liquorice, dusty white pepper and rhubarb on the nose. On the palate, fennel, earth and bright red berry notes alternate. The mouthfeel is markedly buoyant and delicate while the wine has excellent balance and a moderately long finish. One of the better bargain burgundy qprs I've had .

I shall have to keep a look out for the Sur le Sentier bottling.

Martin Steinley

#33 Post by Martin Steinley » October 3rd, 2015, 11:58 am

KatrinaBI wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:The 2010 Prudhon St.-Aubin Rouge Sur le Sentier du Clou VV is the Volnay that one reads about. It is very lightly colored (as old vine cuvees many times are in my experience), but has a lovely perfume of red fruits. It strikes the palate fresh and cool and fans out nicely on the mid-palate and finish. All red fruits here, and pale at that. It has a forest-like component to it that should develop nicely with age. Really good wine for $30. The 2011 is okay, but a couple notches below this.
I liked the 2010 Prudhon St. Aubin 1er Cru Les Rouges Gorges so well that I bought a case. My last note from almost a year ago:
Funk, fennel/liquorice, dusty white pepper and rhubarb on the nose. On the palate, fennel, earth and bright red berry notes alternate. The mouthfeel is markedly buoyant and delicate while the wine has excellent balance and a moderately long finish. One of the better bargain burgundy qprs I've had .

I shall have to keep a look out for the Sur le Sentier bottling.
Indeed, Katrina, the Rouges Gorges is a lovely wine, as well, a blend of two 1er cru parcels. Side-by-side, the Sentier is more lightly colored and a bit higher toned.
ITB

Mark C Johnson

#34 Post by Mark C Johnson » October 3rd, 2015, 12:14 pm

TN: 2010 Bernard Munier Chambolle-Musigny
  • 2010 Bernard Munier Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny (10/3/2015)
    This wine poured out a light ruby. Initially this had a tomato-y nose and aroma but with air that became an orange peel which reminded me of some of Joe Davis' Arcadian PNs. Lovely mouthfeel similar to Jeremy Holmes' comments about "lacy". An altogether different expression of burgundy for me but very delicious. (90 pts.)

These bottles I've posted here came from a mixed burg case offer from Elden Selections which averaged around $30/bottle. The offered was labelled "wines drinking well now". Although I concur on many of the bottles I've opened, I think this Chambolle will age nicely.

[cheers.gif]
Memes & Tropes

craig v

#35 Post by craig v » October 3rd, 2015, 12:49 pm

Not exactly Burgundy but this drinks like it from Fleurie. Paid $23 for it.

2011 Domaine De La Chapelle Des Bois Fleurie "Grand Pre"

My CT notes (chablis28)..... 12/11/2014 rated 92 points: Very impressive and blind I'd be hard put to distinguish this from a top notch Mugnier village level Chambolle. Definitely going back for 2-3 more of these this weekend. Ethereal, finessed, subtle with depth and long. Perfection in Beaujolais - for my palate. Not larger scaled like some of the more admired $40 heavy hitters that don't appeal to me. 110% in my wheel house. 92+ Paid $23 drinks like 4X that price. This rocks! 13% Alc. Imported by Neil Rosenthal. Classic Fleurie cherries everywhere. (759 views)
c vanderah

Martin Steinley

#36 Post by Martin Steinley » October 3rd, 2015, 1:54 pm

craig v wrote:Not exactly Burgundy but this drinks like it from Fleurie. Paid $23 for it.

2011 Domaine De La Chapelle Des Bois Fleurie "Grand Pre"

My CT notes (chablis28)..... 12/11/2014 rated 92 points: Very impressive and blind I'd be hard put to distinguish this from a top notch Mugnier village level Chambolle. Definitely going back for 2-3 more of these this weekend. Ethereal, finessed, subtle with depth and long. Perfection in Beaujolais - for my palate. Not larger scaled like some of the more admired $40 heavy hitters that don't appeal to me. 110% in my wheel house. 92+ Paid $23 drinks like 4X that price. This rocks! 13% Alc. Imported by Neil Rosenthal. Classic Fleurie cherries everywhere. (759 views)
Thank you for this note, Craig. I must take another look at this producer. They are also making a Morgon now, so it will be interesting to compare to the Fleurie.
ITB

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Craig G » October 4th, 2015, 7:43 am

Mark C Johnson wrote:This wine poured out a light ruby. Initially this had a tomato-y nose and aroma but with air that became an orange peel which reminded me of some of Joe Davis' Arcadian PNs.
We should have a thread on the most Arcadian-like Burgundies!
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Kent Comley

#38 Post by Kent Comley » October 4th, 2015, 2:04 pm

2010 Domaine Vincent Dureuil-Janthail Rully 'En Guesnes' is a mouthful to say, but a lovely expression. Quite mineral, pared back, but with god volume and density. Tannins are a little awkward at this stage, but there's plenty of material and good purity.
ITB

Mark C Johnson

#39 Post by Mark C Johnson » October 4th, 2015, 2:12 pm

Kent Comley wrote:god volume
This is what I always look for in burgundy! champagne.gif
Memes & Tropes

Rick Smith

#40 Post by Rick Smith » October 4th, 2015, 2:34 pm

Is Maison Ilan qualifying as off the beaten path? Or is that being too literal?

Martin Steinley

#41 Post by Martin Steinley » October 4th, 2015, 9:19 pm

2013 Jean-Claude Regnaudot Maranges 1er cru Les Clos Roussots: Maranges is the appellation just to the west of Santenay and the vineyard Les Clos Roussots is a continuation of the Santenay vineyard Clos Rousseau, from which Jean-Marc Morey makes a lovely wine. Jean-Claude Regnaudot is a new addition to Kermit Lynch's portfolio and a good example of what Kermit has done best for so long - find farmers who get Mother Nature into the bottle. Frankly, this reminds me of Bachelet's Gevery-Chambertin VV, with its blast of brambly, unmistakably raspberry-like fruit. Consistent with the reputation of Maranges, the wine is darkly colored, but brilliant in the glass. The nose is all raspberry fruit with some sweet green aspects providing relief. The palate is bright, fresh, even pretty, before some sweet, grippy tannins (a hallmark of Maranges) tighten things down. For my palate, this is simply delicious wine for $30. Frankly, I find it astounding that some will buy $100 plus village Cote de Nuits and never even try a bottle such as this. [scratch.gif]
ITB

Kent Comley

#42 Post by Kent Comley » October 5th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Agree with your sentiments Martin. The marginal utilty for the extra $70 can be very small.
With the bracket creep in recent years, I am searching further afield and finding some lovely wines from less heralded terroir.
ITB

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Jay Miller » October 5th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Rick Smith wrote:Is Maison Ilan qualifying as off the beaten path? Or is that being too literal?

Off the beaten path? On the beaten to death path seems more appropos [snort.gif]
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

PCLIN

#44 Post by PCLIN » October 5th, 2015, 8:30 pm

Not exactly Burgundy, but....

2010 Domaine des Terres Dorees (Jean-Paul Brun) Fleurie

Alluring aromas jumping from glass. Floral, earthy, and sweet tone. Very sweet on entry, almost too sweet. Firm mid-palate with smooth tannins. Good acidity level. Ever so slight warmth at finish. Very good balance overall. Delicious wine and great QPR, average price on Wine Searcher is $13 pounds, no kidding. Worth every penny. Will buy more, idea house pour. 90-93 pts.

How does one link the text from CT?
Chiu Lin

Martin Steinley

#45 Post by Martin Steinley » October 5th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Kent Comley wrote:Agree with your sentiments Martin. The marginal utilty for the extra $70 can be very small.
With the bracket creep in recent years, I am searching further afield and finding some lovely wines from less heralded terroir.
Thank you, Kent. I am enjoying your notes; please keep posting. I am going to look for the Dureuil-Janthail wines. I have never had a Rully rouge.
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#46 Post by Jeremy Holmes » October 6th, 2015, 2:44 am

One of he other areas worthy of exploring in this thread are excellent red wines made by white wine makers. Ramonet are right at the top of this pack. They make pure, fresh, fragrant reds that have a track record of aging for decades. They are very much under-valued.

2010 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 'Morgeot' 1er Cru Rouge: Looks like top tier Volnay 'Caillerets' but perhaps a little more chunky. Delicious strawberry and cherry fruit. Excellent minerality. Flesh overlays structure. Some violets come to the fore with air. Lovely balance and proportion.
ITB

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 6th, 2015, 3:29 am

PCLIN wrote:Not exactly Burgundy, but....

2010 Domaine des Terres Dorees (Jean-Paul Brun) Fleurie

Alluring aromas jumping from glass. Floral, earthy, and sweet tone. Very sweet on entry, almost too sweet. Firm mid-palate with smooth tannins. Good acidity level. Ever so slight warmth at finish. Very good balance overall. Delicious wine and great QPR, average price on Wine Searcher is $13 pounds, no kidding. Worth every penny. Will buy more, idea house pour. 90-93 pts.

How does one link the text from CT?
The 09 is damn fine as well.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Martin Steinley

#48 Post by Martin Steinley » October 6th, 2015, 7:55 am

Good tip and note, Jeremy. Thank you. As to many of these reds from the south, I believe that your reference to Volnay is on the money and that the lack of popularity is more a matter of fashion than anything else. I recall you posting some notes on decades-old bottles from this area that sounded great.
ITB

KatrinaBI

#49 Post by KatrinaBI » October 6th, 2015, 8:13 am

2012 Les Heritiers du Comte Lafon Viré-Clessé. Very effusive and complex nose with stone fruit, white flowers, citrus and an underpinning of almost saline minerality. A tiny whiff of matchstick. On the palate, this has good acidic drive coupled with some rich, rounded fleshy notes. Complex, balanced and very versatile at the dinner table.

I paid $39 for this and it's just about heading out of the qpr category for me. However, on the strength of this showing, and based on Martin's note above, I'm looking forward to picking up some of the 2014 Macon-Villages bottling which our local store has just gotten in ($19).

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Kirk.Grant » October 6th, 2015, 9:32 am

It needs time in the cellar, but I've always enjoyed A. et P. de Villaine Mercurey Les Montots. It's not a wine to be consumed until it's at least 8-10 years from vintage. However, I've always enjoyed it in the past. I also like Roulot's Monthelie...however as prices continue to climb. It's getting harder and harder to pull the trigger on these.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Return to “Wine Talk”