Carmenere Wines

Anyone out there have experience with Argentine or Chilean Carmenere Wines? Looking for some excellent wines, decently priced. I recently had a Carmin de Peumo 2008 at Mariposa Restaurant in Sedona, it was spectacular, yet not my definition of in-expensive. I would love to find out more about these wines.

La Posta has several, Zorzal, Catena, Kaiken from Montes is OK…

Are you familiar with the Concha y Toro wines?

Also, is that a Labradoodle?

I’ve got some 2011 Antiyal Carmenere at home at the moment. It is delicious but pretty lush compared to others that I have had.
In the past I’ve had some Perez Cruz Reserva.
I can’t say that I’ve ever seen any Argentinian Carmenere.

I can’t comment on price as, a) I don’t know what you consider to be inexpensive and b) I’m in Australia so the prices I pay are pretty meaningless (and are probably significantly higher) compared to what you’d pay in the US (assuming that is where you are).

Odfjell Armador, 2012
Best $10 wine I’ve ever had.
Very Cab Franc like and not the typical green, grassy taste.

Not a lot of them around, often green, and that’s the problem with a lot of the inexpensive wines from Chile. Chile decided to make the best of the situation when they found out that a lot of their Merlot was really Carmenere, but the wines are more often than not the triumph of hope over experience.

Oops, all Malbec!

Try Cuvee Alexandre Carmenere Apalta Vineyards from Lapostolle. Purple Angel from Montes is insane but expensive.

A bottle of 2004 Concha y Toro Carménère Terrunyo Peumo Vineyard Block 27 drunk earlier this year was a revelation. Previous bottles of the 2004 and 2005 were good, if a bit big and oaky. That last bottle was a reminder of why we cellar wine.
I’ve not seen it on the shelves in sometime, but it looks like current vintages are priced from the high twenties to about forty dollars.

Thanks to all for the feedback

Carménère originally comes from Bordeaux, but nearly fell off the map in recent years.

However, it is experiencing a revival.

I recently tasted, and bought, a 100% Carménère from Château Lapeyronie in Castillon Côtes de Bordeaux.
It had to be sold as “Vin de France” because this variety is considered “secondary”, i.e. needs to be blended with other varieties to be entitled to an appellation.

FWIW, the wine is good and peppery. I bought six bottles because it is quite a “conversation piece” wine, a rarity.

The Carménère in Chile was originally thought to be Merlot.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Alex, would say pretty unique eh.

Purple Angel is great in the vintages i have tried

I like some basic Carmenere wines for what they are, simple dinner wines. Would love to try that Bordeaux that Alex references. Respectfully, Purple Angel is the achetype of the internationalization of wine. It drinks nothing like a Carmenere, IMHO. The few times I have tried it, it was a cherry-chocolate milkshake. I could have been drinking Clio, Caymus or Bellevue Mondotte. It is certainly well made for its style, and a crowd pleaser, I just doubt very seriously that anyone would ever identify it as Carmenere. It’s a low acid, oaky, high alcohol wine. Matured in 100% new French oak. I’m guessing that the OP would enjoy this wine having tried the Carmin de Puemo (though, the WS notes on the '09 suggest it is a less full-throttle version than prior years)…

I probably tasted 20+ Carmenere wines when I was in Chile in 2013. It was always best off as a blending grape.

I have some 2004 left. Will retry, Robert

I love the Carmenere wines from El Huique. I think I had the classic, and whatever one I had was around $15 or so. Delicious.

http://www.elhuique.com/english/classic_carmenere.html

http://www.elhuique.com/english/reserva_carmenere.html

Cool, post a note. Will be interesting to see/hear how it has evolved in 11 years. Admittedly mine tastes have all been new releases to some with just a few years on them. I do not see this style changing much in bottle, but very curious.

No mention of Clos Apalta?

Plus 1 on Odjfell and Perez Cruz for QPR.
Terranoble is also great.

The Lapostolle Cuvee Alexandre Carmenere Apalta Vineyards is sourced from the same old vines. It’s just monovarietal. But yeah, Clos Apalta is something special (at least back in the early '00’s when last I had it).