Low on daily drinkers...Best QPR wines available online today

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
David Games

#51 Post by David Games »

J a y H a c k wrote:Base level Borsao. I needed some wine for an event and it was the cheapest wine I had tasted that was palatable so we bought a few cases. It was excellent. I just bought another case for the princely sum of $5.99 a bottle. It is the best under-$10 wine I have had since the pre-hype Las Rocas 11+ years ago.
Borsao has been my favorite value wine as well. I have been through several cases of it through the last 3 or 4 years. Really liked the 2011. The 2012s were a bit on the hot side in comparison. The 2013s are better but not quite as good as the 2011s imo. I have about a half case of the 2011s I am going to hold onto for a few years as I think they are so well balanced that I think they might age decently.

Drew Goin

#52 Post by Drew Goin »

Tormoresca Neprica blend from Puglia, too.

Chuck Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Chuck Anderson »

One cheap sparkler I dig: Lucien Albrecht cremant d'Alsace brut rose. Better than its fifteenish dollar price tag.

Dennis Kanagie

#54 Post by Dennis Kanagie »

Dennis Kanagie wrote:
Alan Eden wrote:Bedrock OV zin
ericskitei wrote:+1

Bedrock OVZ
John Morris wrote:Another vote for the Old Vine Bedrock.
Okay, you enablers talked me into it - just ordered a bottle of 2010 to ship out tomorrow with an existing order. [cheers.gif]
Well, it came in Tuesday along with a couple bottles of 2002 Huet Clos du Bourg moelleux. Popped it open tonight, enjoyed it immensely, and just bought the last 3 bottles the place had. Excellent recommendation guys! [cheers.gif]
Purple Drankin' Cretin

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by mike pobega »

2013 Biggio Hamina Pinot ($20) is fantastic. Been through 12 or so already. Winelibrary.com

R. Gleiberm@n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by R. Gleiberm@n »

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the current Last bottle offerring for $15?

Madrigal Petite Sirah Napa Valley 2011
R odney

"You guys playin' cards?"

Doug Besterman

#57 Post by Doug Besterman »

Qupe is our daily drinker Syrah - their Bien Nacido can be found for right around $20 (try Total Wines).
Doug

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Low on daily drinkers...Best QPR wines available online today

#58 Post by Arv R »

Brandon Klos wrote: September 20th, 2015, 11:32 am I feel the best QPR's are in the Rhone Valley.. Cote du Rhones can be some really great daily drinkers.. Some examples that I regularly buy are:

Saint Cosme (favorite winery) - CDR / little james basket press/Les Deux Albion
just had the basket press white wine (blend of viognier/sauv-blanc) at a restaurant here in Hillsboro.. was awesome!

those are some I buy regularly and drink often.. Especially the Saint Cosme Cote du Rhones....
The last few days I've been sipping a 2018 Domaine de Saint Cosme 'les Deux Albions' blanc [Principaute l'Orange] and really enjoying this. This is a new bottling, and a young vineyard (planted 2013), but its a well crafted white. Heavy on the Viognier, and with good amounts of Picpoul and Marsanne in the cepage, so it shows peachy notes along with lime zest. It is raised in a mix of stainless and oak, but the balance is just right, no ponderous vanilla here. 13.2% abv but it is so gluggable, one drinks more/faster than they'd expect. The tech sheets show a little residual sugar of 2.9 g/L. I don't have a sense for what's typical/expected here, but I suppose that might be why I like it, as I tend to favor wines that are not bone dry, even if I may not know what their chemistry is. Of course, after a decade or two of aging, that can be different. But for this floral young blanc, everything seems well balanced now. If you like full bodied Rhones, give this a try. It doesn't have the acidity of a fine Condrieu, but it has other likable elements. I would repurchase in this, and future vintages. For my tastes, at least a B+, higher if this plump style is in your wheelhouse
R_@_0

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Arv R wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 6:06 pm
Brandon Klos wrote: September 20th, 2015, 11:32 am I feel the best QPR's are in the Rhone Valley.. Cote du Rhones can be some really great daily drinkers.. Some examples that I regularly buy are:

just had the basket press white wine (blend of viognier/sauv-blanc) at a restaurant here in Hillsboro.. was awesome!

those are some I buy regularly and drink often.. Especially the Saint Cosme Cote du Rhones....
The last few days I've been sipping a 2018 Domaine de Saint Cosme 'les Deux Albions' blanc [Principaute l'Orange] and really enjoying this. This is a new bottling, and a young vineyard (planted 2013), but its a well crafted white. Heavy on the Viognier, and with good amounts of Picpoul and Marsanne in the cepage, so it shows peachy notes along with lime zest. It is raised in a mix of stainless and oak, but the balance is just right, no ponderous vanilla here. 13.2% abv but it is so gluggable, one drinks more/faster than they'd expect. The tech sheets show a little residual sugar of 2.9 g/L. I don't have a sense for what's typical/expected here, but I suppose that might be why I like it, as I tend to favor wines that are not bone dry, even if I may not know what their chemistry is. Of course, after a decade or two of aging, that can be different. But for this floral young blanc, everything seems well balanced now. If you like full bodied Rhones, give this a try. It doesn't have the acidity of a fine Condrieu, but it has other likable elements. I would repurchase in this, and future vintages. For my tastes, at least a B+, higher if this plump style is in your wheelhouse
Long time fan of Saint Cosme. Have not had this specific bottle however I just dialed up a few of these based on your note. I like the blend and the palate sounds about my wheel house. Thx!
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Rich K0rz€nk0
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Arv R wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 6:06 pm

Layering on previous reply: This bottle over-delivers. Well done and the notes above are pretty spot on though i'd add more citrus/orange in the mix for my glass.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Keith_B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Keith_B »

We’ve been exploring more Italian reds lately and I’ve found myself going back for Pio Cesare Barbera d’Alba multiple times over the past few weeks, around $18.
Instagram: @keithbentley

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Albert R »

Had a 2017 Bedrock Old Vine Zin tonight. This is a top 2 daily drinking QPR for me. The other would be the Bedrock Syrah........YMMV.........
@. Re-go

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Michael Martin »

Grenache based Spanish wines.
Lesser known appellation Southern Rhône’s like Ventoux, Venise or Vacqueyras.
Antinori Toscana
QPR varietal blends from producers like Jaffurs, Bedrock, Carlisle.

Return to “Wine Talk”