What is your current per btl limit on wine spend?

choose up to 2 options that apply to you

• 1. No more than $25 per btl
  • 2. No more than $30
  • 3. No more than $40
  • 4. No more than $50
  • 5. No more than $60
  • 6. No more than $75
  • 7. No More than $100
  • 8. No more than $125
  • 9. No more than $150
  • 10. No more than $200
  • 11. No more than $250
  • 12. No more than $500
  • 13. No more than $1000
  • 14. No more than $2000
  • 15. No more than $3000
  • 16. No More than $5000
  • 17. I really have no limits on a per btl spend
  • 18. I would spend $250 or more one time on my bucket list wine
  • 19. I wish I could afford to buy and drink more expensive wines than I buy.
  • 20. I spend a lot less on wine than I can afford.

0 voters

There are at least 3 or more criteria in answering this question…

1. I can afford that price.
  2. I can’t afford that Price.
  3. I can afford this price point but, choose not to and won’t.

My comfort zone is around $50 but will and have spent up to $100 for a 750 so I voted $100. Single bottle purchases though are much different than mailing list buys. I tend to spend more on one bottle than I would per on multiple bottle purchases. Mailing lists under $50 (preferably between 25-40) are more my wheelhouse.

It all depends on what the bottle is, how available it is and what is the price I’m paying versus the retail price. I prefer to buy wines in the under $50 range but will spend on bottles that are rare or represent a good value. A couple of examples; a bottle of 2011 Allemand Sans Souffre for $170, this is a hen’s tooth wine but made me think long and hard about buying it, 2 bottles of Roumier 2012 CM Cras for $212/per, I thought this was a good price and also a rare wine, 2 mags of 1995 Drappier @ $110/bot which I feel is good value.

I voted $75, as that seems to have been the top end of what I’ve bought in recent years.
Double that would be my most expensive bottle bought, 1991 Penfolds Grange.

I’m sure there might be wine I’d go higher for, but there is so much good drinking at the $20-50 range, that I’m not minded to trade up.

I am most comfortable in the sub $500 category, but am happy to splash above that price point if the situation warrants it.

Didn’t see the text or the bottom choices. I voted $125, but have spent $250. What I can afford vs what I choose to spend is critical. I could afford to spend $5K on something today and still pay all of my monthly bills, but I choose not to go there… for wine, or right now anything else.

It just occurred to me that I buy a whole lot more wine than I buy art, but my average art expenditure is a couple of orders of magnitude higher than my average wine expenditure. Of course, that’s the nature of the beast. Today, it’s not hard to spend $100 million on a work of art. You would have a very hard time spending that on wine, even if DRC, Lalou Bize Leroy, the combined Rothschilds, Meinhard Gorke and Rudy Kurniawan all offered you everything they could produce.

Dan Kravitz

For me, there are a lot cool wines that occasionally are available for $125 that I’ll stretch to… occasionally. Like the 02 & 04 Taittinger Comte on release and more recently the totally outstanding 2010 Armand Rousseau Village Gevrey Chambertin I bought on sale that isn’t far behind the more lofty Rousseaus at 3-5 times the price plus. Mostly though I almost never break that threshold and mostly buy well below it. I’d spend up to $250 on major major aged btl if I spotted it but, I’d be sweating if I did. I’m mostly $60 and under. I’m fortunate to have bought and now cellar some real gems like the 99, 01, 02, 05, 06 and 07 Rousseaus and Mugniers before they went crazy.

I voted $75 because I try to not go over that but I have gone up to $150 for a few bottles, but that is a rare occurance. When I am shopping, whether online, mailing lists, or at a local shop I am drawn to $50 and under bottles. If I can even it out some with a $75 and $25 purchase, I call it good.

My average bottle price increased after purchasing the Coravin. Average $75 with max of $250. I’d like to reduce the average bottle price to $50.

In terms of bottles I intend to store and enjoy on relatively special occasions, I’m comfortable going up to $150 as a maximum. I recently picked up a case of 1996 barolo that, while expensive and far more than what I spend on daily drinkers at ~$140 a bottle, is a steal for the quality of the wine and its near-maturity. I feel satisfied with that purchase, and price point, because it is low relative to current retail prices and allows me to drink something I really cannot acquire otherwise without spending far more at a restaurant.

For wines I can more or less “whip out” on a nightly basis, I have more fun holding myself to a $35-40 sweet spot. This way I am able to drink wines that have most of the elements of the best wines I’ve ever tasted–entry level CdP, Barbaresco, some really fun white rhones, etc–while forcing myself to move out of my comfort zone and try new things. I otherwise wouldn’t be drinking Tannat from Uruguay and Grenache from Australia if I didn’t actively look for exciting wines at a lower price. While drinking exclusively grand cru white burg sounds lovely in theory, there’s something very pleasurable as a wine lover about constantly trying new things and seeing what else is out there.

Pretty much the same with me, although I’d alter it to say my comfort zone is up to $350 a bottle. Over that, and it had better be a f

ing masterpiece for me to fork out the cash. I voted option #17 - I have no set limit. I’m just trying to use a smidge of common sense.

I picked a “Current” limit of $60. One reason for this is that I have a good number of bottles WELL above this price point. At the age of 71 I would like to reduce the number of very high priced bottles, while keeping current buys, and wines that I drink often, under at most $60. At least for a while!

The majority of my wine purchases are under $75. You can buy some great wines in that category from my favorite regions of Northern Rhone, Chinon, Bordeaux and a couple others. I do not set any arbitrary limits, but if it’s over $100, it needs to be rather amazing, and then I really do not see a limit.

The most I’ve ever spent on a wine for my consumption is $60. $100/btl is probably the top of my comfort zone.

what a bunch of ballers … [cheers.gif]

at Bern’s? [wink.gif]

We’re all (me included) out of our minds!

Don’t ever look at your total spend on Cellartracker. Scary.

It’s a hobby. It’s not supposed to be sane. [wow.gif] [cheers.gif]

Simple solution: don’t use CellarTracker. [snort.gif]

I have purchased several bottles in the $100-$200 range, but these are usually special bottles. Most of the wines I purchase to cellar are in the 40-50 range, and my daily drinkers are usually good values in the $10-$20 range.