What is your favorite RED wine grape?

What is your #1 favorite RED wine grape? Choose ONE.

• 1. Pinot Noir
  • 2. Nebbiolo
  • 3. Sangiovesse
  • 4. Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 5. Syrah
  • 6. Mourvèdre
  • 7. Gamay
  • 8. Grenache
  • 9. Merlot
  • 10. Tempranillo
  • 11. Cabernet Franc
  • 12. Zinfandel
  • 13. Malbec
  • 14. Touriga National
  • 15. Delcetto
  • 16. Barbera
  • 17. Nerello Mascalese
  • 18. Nero D’Avola
  • 19. I don’t like red wine grapes
  • 20. You forgot the most obvious red wine grape of all!

0 voters

For me, pretty much in this order,…mostly from European regions
1. Pinot Noir
2. Nebbiolo
3. Sangiovesse
4. Gamay
5. Cabernet Sauvignon
6. Mourvèdre
7. Syrah
8. Tempranillo
9. Nerello Mascalese

#20- The one in the glass in front of me ! [tease.gif]

I think the order listed may bias the results, but that’s the way these things work.

Cheers,

Jeremy

My order:

Syrah
Cab Franc
Cab
Mourvedre
Merlot, mostly if blended with Cab/Cab Franc (unless Pomerol, then bring it on!)
Gamay
Zinfandel

Northern Rhones, Chinons and Bordeaux make up about 90% of my meager collection. The rest round things out.

Where are my Mourvedre people?

Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir. Love em both.

I love the grape in the hands of Tempier Bandol and Beaucastel. Everytime I have a Tempier I wonder why I don’t own more btls.

I’m a big fan of the Barolo grape

There was this one grape that went into a bottle of 19th century Madeira I had this summer. I never got the chance to thank her, but she was a great grape.

Depends on the time of day and what I’m feeling like and what the grape is blended with. While I probably drink mostly Tempranillo, I do love Syrah and Syrah blends, and Nebbiolo, and Cab/Merlot blends as well. And increasingly some of the Greek grapes, as well as things like Gamay and Teroldego.

Pinto Noir represent 30% of my cellar and my biggest holding by grape. Followed by 10% Nebbiolo ( I’m buying more though) and 12% Sangiovesse. I have a diverse cellar to keep things interesting and to do the natural parings if I want too. I still find Pinot Noir the most compelling grape for my palate and the one that works best with most of what we eat outside of mostly French chardonnays with fish.

1. Cabernet Sauvignon
  2. Nebbiolo
  3. Pinot Noir
  4. Merlot
  5. Gamay
  6. Cabernet Franc
  7. Zinfandel
  8. Syrah
  9. Grenache
  10. Sangiovese

What this poll needs is a counter-poll - which red wine grape you DON’T like most.
And then you subtract one from the other and that would be a very interesting picture… [wow.gif]

Speaking only of my very best bottles, Cabernet is definitely #1 but it has gotten too expensive to get good bottle. I can’t stand most bottles of Cabernet made these days.

I’m finding some interesting stuff to backfill from HDH and TCWC. Old Mondavis are a pretty good buy and ready to drink if 96 and earlier.

My top ten

1. Pinot Noir / Primitivo (tie)
  2. Zinfandel
  3. Poulsard
  4. Trousseau
  5. Gammay
  6. Nebbiolo
  7. Syrah
  8. Mourvedre
  9. Cab Sauv

So, nobody likes Petrus… (actually, I don’t now as I can’t afford it…)

Ha, two of the greatest wines that I’ve ever had were Petrus. I have never been able to afford it. [wow.gif]

Flawed poll, no Catawba.

Impossible to choose only ONE.

I might pick Pinot Noir, but 1) only from Burgundy, and 2) while it may provide the greatest wines at all if everything is right (site, producer, vintage and maturity) it also brings the greatest disapointments.

Then Grenache and Syrah equally because it´s impossible to decide between a great Rayas, Pegau, Bonneau or Marcoux VV - and a great Guigal, Jamet, Rostaing and others.

Bordeaux is made from at least two to 5 varieties … so no preference possible …
and a Mourvedre from Tempier Cabassaou or Tourtine is also something I adore.