Letter from Alex and Graeme MacDonald

The letter describes the business relationship of their great-grandparents when they planted Cabernet at To-Kalon in 1954 and began a long business arrangement with Robert Mondavi. Delves into the decades-long partnership with Mondavi, including working with Robert to resurrect the To-Kalon name in the 1970s. For 50 years the MacDonald’s sold their grapes to Robert Mondavi for inclusion in Reserve and To-Kalon bottlings.

Soon they are expecting the birth of a fifth-generation MacDonald to be associated with that fabled site!

I don’t buy a lot of wine at this price point, but I’m delighted to be a MacDonald customer! 143 cases of 2012 MacDonald to be released soon.

I had the pleasure of tasting the 2012 with Graeme and Alex back in July. It is a spectacular wine and marks another new high for what they have been able to do with the vines. I’m very much looking forward to the upcoming release and the bright future for their little piece of To-Kalon.

does anyone know if they have their own
bond and make the wines themselves or are they custom crushed?

I understand they make their wine and barrel-age it in the cellar of a very very well know high-end winery. [worship.gif]

The make it at Kongsgaard, up on Atlas Peak. =)

And yeah, the 2012 is their best wine, for sure. Loads of graphite in the nose.

Was it an email or paper letter? Any specific date on the release?

That’s tight…newbie fingers crossed. Now, where did I put that statue of Dionysus?

just got an email saying it will be released Tuesday, 9/22 for previous buyers

Actually, that’s a decent amount more than the 2010 & 2011.

Got my email notice. I am in an all day presentation… Oh oh,

Excellent news.

And Alex wins the prize for the best customer service. Last year (or perhaps the year before) I had a problem with my credit card and sent them an email. I got a call from Alex a few minutes later, who said he could take it over the phone. As I was giving him the card, there was a huge roar in the background. I asked him what it was. He said the Giants had just scored. He was calling me from a SF Giants playoff game.

Jay, that’s a great story. Thanks for sharing it!

Best,

Kenney

I have to second Jay’s comment. There are some many examples of great customer service in the valley, but Alex definitely wins the award, hands down, for best customer service.

My wife and I were out in Napa this past March/April and visited and tasted with Alex. Our vacation plans changed over the summer and we went back out to the valley (and San Fran) in August with our daughters as they were considering moving to San Fran and wanted to check it out. Our daughters also wanted to learn a little bit about To Kalon as they like wine from their. So as awkward as it was I asked Alex if he would host us for just an abbreviated tour. Graeme’s wife given birth less than a week earlier, but Alex said it was no imposition and met us at Graeme’s house on the property. The abbreviated tour lasted 2 and a half hours with us walking the vineyard, discussing their family history and vineyard practices etc. The visit was at the end of the day and I’m sure he had better plans. He later gave our daughters advice as to where to go in San Fran and offered for them to contact him if they had any follow-up questions about San Fran.

Oops meant there not their

one more day!

Is release tomorrow? I got 8 colonoscopies on the schedule too.

8 , Damn ! ,You must have a concern. One is enough for me !! [snort.gif]

Good luck Dr !

Bought the 2010. Unfortunately, I was not in a financial position to purchase the 2011 last year. After an email explaining how I would like to buy, but would not be able to, Alex called me immediately to assure me that there would always be a spot for those who supported them from the beginning. Awesome service.

Had a 2010 in the past year. Stunning with a double decant as suggested, and I’m sure will only get better.

I have not received a notice for tomorrow’s release yet. However, maybe they are doing it in waves based on purchase history since the wine is in such high demand. Hope I can get some this year.

It was my impression last year that the 1st wave/previous buyers’ wave didn’t face nearly as much time pressure to buy, as compared to the new buyers’ wave. Is that correct, or is this likely to be a mad scramble to purchase?

I was a new buyer last year, and felt really lucky to get the wine!

Edit: Wow, Alex truly is amazing with customer service. Within moments of my post here, he reached out to me via email. They’re hoping that wine will be available to previous buyers for a few days, although he recognizes that it’s always difficult to estimate demand. Truly an honor to buy from them.