Gilman is crazy about Rhys "Hillside" wines

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
slada

#51 Post by slada » August 17th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Not that I want to pay high prices, but for a region where the average good bottle of Pinot runs $40-60 - to pay 2-3 times that for what could arguably be the best wines from arguably one of the best regional Pinot producers does not seem too outrageous
cheers, sam lada

Bdklein

#52 Post by Bdklein » August 17th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Bud Carey wrote:Too rich for my blood!!
Was the Cirq too rich for your blood ??
Bruce Klein

Markus S

#53 Post by Markus S » August 17th, 2016, 4:29 pm

slada wrote:Not that I want to pay high prices, but for a region where the average good bottle of Pinot runs $40-60 - to pay 2-3 times that for what could arguably be the best wines from arguably one of the best regional Pinot producers does not seem too outrageous

Go for it. Sounds like "what the market will bear" pricing.
$ _ € ® e . k @

slada

#54 Post by slada » August 17th, 2016, 4:46 pm

I'm not saying I can or will buy but the fact is the days of $50 'reserve' (eg not appellation) Rhys are long gone
cheers, sam lada

Romain Machacek

#55 Post by Romain Machacek » August 17th, 2016, 5:03 pm

No doubt about it, these are aggressively priced. We are now knocking on the door of D'Angerville Ducster backfilling prices, and I know how good those are! I wish the 750ml was a good $30-$40 cheaper.

Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Ken Strauss » August 17th, 2016, 5:23 pm

At $149 this is the second highest priced Pinot out of California that I am aware of. Marcassin is $150.
That said the reviews make it irresistable to me.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » August 17th, 2016, 7:16 pm

slada wrote:Not that I want to pay high prices, but for a region where the average good bottle of Pinot runs $40-60 - to pay 2-3 times that for what could arguably be the best wines from arguably one of the best regional Pinot producers does not seem too outrageous
Yeah, if I want to buy a wine, I am also good at dreaming up some kind of twisted logic to justify the purchase.

Bdklein

#58 Post by Bdklein » August 17th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Yeah I guess if I had more disposable income I might buy it too
Bruce Klein

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by RyanC » August 17th, 2016, 7:23 pm

Joe G a l e w s k i wrote:
Yeah, if I want to buy a wine, I am also good at dreaming up some kind of twisted logic to justify the purchase.
This whole board is a million pages of rationalizing gratuitous purchases of thousands of dollars of grape juice.

(And yes, if offered, I'll buy the "Hillside" wines.)
C@ughey

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Steve Brickley » August 17th, 2016, 7:30 pm

Ryan Caughey wrote:
This whole board is a million pages of rationalizing gratuitous purchases of thousands of dollars of grape juice.

(And yes, if offered, I'll buy the "Hillside" wines.)

Great call Ryan. Right on point! [cheers.gif]
Steve

Mel Hill

#61 Post by Mel Hill » August 17th, 2016, 7:52 pm

I wonder if we will have to buy a minimum amount of bottles? IIRC, Rhys has a 4 bottle minimum purchase for
the regular releases.

Kevin Harvey

#62 Post by Kevin Harvey » August 17th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Mel Hill wrote:I wonder if we will have to buy a minimum amount of bottles? IIRC, Rhys has a 4 bottle minimum purchase for
the regular releases.
Mel,
There is no minimum for this order.
Rhys Vineyards

Mel Hill

#63 Post by Mel Hill » August 17th, 2016, 7:53 pm

That was quick! Thanks for the response

Alan C h a n

#64 Post by Alan C h a n » August 17th, 2016, 7:56 pm

Given the lofty scores I don't blame Rhys for pricing it as they have. I don't know how to calibrate to Gilman though. That said, I don't buy in that price range, and if I did, there's a lot of strong 1er cru or GC burgs I could be buying. This is going to be a tough decision.

Anyone buy the Copain Kiser en Haut and Combe de Gres bottlings in the past, and did you feel the premium was justified? Or can anyone with experience with past Hillside bottlings speak to the level vis a vis Skyline or Swan Terrace bottlings? I know this may be a 'super' Hillside vintage but the info might still help.
Last edited by Alan C h a n on August 17th, 2016, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Amateur Wino wine blog

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Craig G » August 17th, 2016, 8:18 pm

Kevin Harvey wrote:
Mel Hill wrote:I wonder if we will have to buy a minimum amount of bottles? IIRC, Rhys has a 4 bottle minimum purchase for
the regular releases.
Mel,
There is no minimum for this order.
Kevin, that's a very consumer-friendly decision, both for those with guaranteed allocations and those without. Well done!
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Jason Crawford

#66 Post by Jason Crawford » August 17th, 2016, 8:22 pm

Gilman is gaga over Hillside? Who else? If I made an amazing wine I would send it out to everyone to taste. I will wait for more conformation.

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Peter Petersen » August 17th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Jason Crawford wrote:Gilman is gaga over Hillside? Who else? If I made an amazing wine I would send it out to everyone to taste. I will wait for more conformation.
This discussion is a run off from an earlier thread. If you go to the Rhys site you'll see that there are three other major reviewers that have tasted the wines in case such thing matter for your purchase decisions.

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by CWun » August 17th, 2016, 9:33 pm

I remember Jeff Brinkman accidentally opening the 2006 Alpine Hillside for us (he intended just the normal Alpine) at the winery back in 2012(?) and it was showing quite well.

People will insist on comparing the price to Burgundy 1er crus and other CA pinots, but if you like drinking Rhys wine, then the decision is pretty easy and mainly dependent on your budget. I reduced the amount of 2013 "normal" rhys wines I bought in anticipation of the hillsides.
C@r_y

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Steve Brickley » August 17th, 2016, 9:43 pm

Sure glad these are a different colored labels as it easy to confuse the usual Rhys wine labels. Nice looking label on these too. Mags looked waxed for all you wax lovers. Elegant look I must say and a wooden box for mags.
Steve

Brady Daniels

#70 Post by Brady Daniels » August 18th, 2016, 3:56 am

If you believe that Rhys is a top CA producer, and that their mountain vineyards are their best terroir, and trust that they selected best-of-best for the hillside, then $150 doesn't seem too crazy. Best-of-best CA Pinot for the price of an average burgundy CdN premier cru, nowhere near average CdN grand cru pricing.

And happily, you can still buy other top Rhys bottles if the price is to dear for you.

Kevin, please don't put my beloved Skyline into a a black bottle. :)
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Jay Miller » August 18th, 2016, 6:11 am

Alan C h a n wrote:Given the lofty scores I don't blame Rhys for pricing it as they have. I don't know how to calibrate to Gilman though. That said, I don't buy in that price range, and if I did, there's a lot of strong 1er cru or GC burgs I could be buying. This is going to be a tough decision.

Anyone buy the Copain Kiser en Haut and Combe de Gres bottlings in the past, and did you feel the premium was justified? Or can anyone with experience with past Hillside bottlings speak to the level vis a vis Skyline or Swan Terrace bottlings? I know this may be a 'super' Hillside vintage but the info might still help.
I've bought the Copain Kiser en Haut in the past and found the price justified (except for one shut down bottle), but I paid around $70 or so.

Even if I hadn't dropped off the Rhys list due to storage reasons these would have been out of my budget range. They're almost certainly fantastic wines and I'll be happy to try one if a friend opens it for me. Otherwise, I hope the people who can afford them enjoy them very much.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

K. R. Baker

#72 Post by K. R. Baker » August 18th, 2016, 7:50 am

A happy buyer since the beginning. Their commitment to quality in top notch, my expectations are high. Count me in.
Kevin Baker

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » August 18th, 2016, 8:51 am

Ryan Caughey wrote:This whole board is a million pages of rationalizing gratuitous purchases of thousands of dollars of grape juice.
That was my point. :) I do it. You do it. We all do it. No knock on Rhys, Sam, or anybody else.

I'm trying to talk myself into buying some wine right now.

Alan C h a n

#74 Post by Alan C h a n » August 18th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
Alan C h a n wrote:Given the lofty scores I don't blame Rhys for pricing it as they have. I don't know how to calibrate to Gilman though. That said, I don't buy in that price range, and if I did, there's a lot of strong 1er cru or GC burgs I could be buying. This is going to be a tough decision.

I've bought the Copain Kiser en Haut in the past and found the price justified (except for one shut down bottle), but I paid around $70 or so.

Even if I hadn't dropped off the Rhys list due to storage reasons these would have been out of my budget range. They're almost certainly fantastic wines and I'll be happy to try one if a friend opens it for me. Otherwise, I hope the people who can afford them enjoy them very much.
Sorry Jay, I wasn't very clear in my earlier post. I was wondering if anyone had bought the Combe des Grès bottling because I think that was a special selection from Kiser akin to these Rhys Hillside bottlings. I think it priced at about $125 and I was wondering whether it was worth the premium compared to the cost of Kiser en Haut.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Jay Miller » August 18th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Sorry I misunderstood there. I've never tried the Combe des Gres (or even heard of it before)

Alan C h a n

#76 Post by Alan C h a n » August 18th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Jay, entirely my fault for not being clear.

This spurred me to look up the details on the Combe de Grès bottling. Large formats only - the mag was $250. Not a special selection like the Rhys Hillsides, but actually a different plot within Kiser with sandstone soil but expected to become their flagship pinot, is how Copain describes it.

Jeff D a v i e s

#77 Post by Jeff D a v i e s » August 18th, 2016, 6:02 pm

I am looking forward to these. Sure they are expensive but would anyone complain if it was a Cab?

Bdklein

#78 Post by Bdklein » August 18th, 2016, 6:04 pm

J Davies wrote:I am looking forward to these. Sure they are expensive but would anyone complain if it was a Cab?
I would. $125 is my limit these days.
Bruce Klein

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Peter Petersen » August 18th, 2016, 6:32 pm

I suspect people would complain a lot more if the wine was $125 with $25 in shipping charges. ;)
As it is, the price is high, but I feel that the quality is potentially as good as anything in that price category.
Will be in for 2+2 if I'm offered that and it is still available after traveling and dropping off our youngest at college.

Andy K

#80 Post by Andy K » August 18th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Too steep for me. That's Burgundy money.

A Kei!!or
Regards,
Andy Kei!!or

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by maureen nelson » August 18th, 2016, 7:07 pm

J Davies wrote:I am looking forward to these. Sure they are expensive but would anyone complain if it was a Cab?
No complaint for cab pricing - but I don't drink or buy cab.

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by robert creth » August 18th, 2016, 8:52 pm

My plan is to buy as much of Rhys regular bottlings as I can store before I get priced out. Those are already up to and touching my price limit. Good for the Rhys group for their good fortune, but I have to be realistic. They are moving into a another plateau and I won't be following. A case of Chards and a mixed case of Pinots in the next offers and I will likely be done.

Brady Daniels

#83 Post by Brady Daniels » August 19th, 2016, 2:35 am

robert creth wrote:They are moving into a another plateau and I won't be following. A case of Chards and a mixed case of Pinots in the next offers and I will likely be done.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Kevin Harvey

#84 Post by Kevin Harvey » August 19th, 2016, 6:08 am

While we have introduced a much higher priced bottling with the Hillsides, we have also increased the number of lower priced offerings in the 2014 vintage.
At $45, the Anderson Valley Pinot is made from all estate fruit grown at Bearwallow. I hope customers compare it to vineyard designated bottlings from the surrounding area, as we think it offers a lot of value. Meanwhile, we will also offer a 2014 Anderson Valley Chardonnay (also made entirely from Bearwallow fruit) at just $39/btl. As our lineup matures, we are trying to offer a broad range of wines with (hopefully) something for everyone. For customers looking for the most value at the high end, I would recommend our largest Pinot bottlings which are Bearwallow, Horseshoe, Alpine and Family Farm (FWIW, we have no intention to raise prices on these).
Rhys Vineyards

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Jay Miller » August 19th, 2016, 6:16 am

Bdklein wrote:
I would. $125 is my limit these days.
So would I. Everyone has their personal price limits on various wines.

If I still had storage space and wasn't transitioning a lot of my purchasing to riesling for relationship reasons I'd still be buying some of the regular estate pinots and especially the chardonnays and syrahs.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by M. Dildine » August 19th, 2016, 6:57 am

I've been along for this ride since the beginning (is "Tom Hill'd" a verb?) and think that the best California Pinot is absolutely approaching world-class standards - and is worthy of world-class prices.

I look forward to the Hillside offerings with high expectations.

Question for Kevin - checking my cellar, I have a couple of bottles of 2007 "Alpine Hillside." Same concept as the '13? Sourced from the same section of the vineyard?
Cheers,

Mike

Kevin Harvey

#87 Post by Kevin Harvey » August 19th, 2016, 7:05 am

M. Dildine wrote:I've been along for this ride since the beginning (is "Tom Hilled" a verb?) and think that the best California Pinot is absolutely approaching world-class standards - and is worthy of world-class prices.

Question for Kevin - checking my cellar, I have a couple of bottles of 2007 "Alpine Hillside." Same concept as the '13? Sourced from the same section of the vineyard?
Mike,
The 2006 and 2007 Alpine Hillside were a different concept and bottling. We originally thought that we would bottle the steepest portion of Alpine vineyard separately each year much like Swan Terrace. We learned that , unlike the Swan Terrace, this parcel was not consistent enough in production or differentiated expression for a bottling like this. While the 2013 Hillside did include much of this section, the 2014 did not (there are no 2015 Hillsides). Going forward the Hillsides should be thought of as essentially "Reserves" or an expression of the very best the vineyards can produce which includes a collection of parcels.
Rhys Vineyards

Brian Lynch

#88 Post by Brian Lynch » August 19th, 2016, 7:38 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:I think I am priced out of these bottles.
Yes. I'm going to wait for the grey market price [cheers.gif]

Markus S

#89 Post by Markus S » August 19th, 2016, 8:10 am

Brian Lynch wrote:

Just make sure to do it "ethically"! pileon
$ _ € ® e . k @

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by Mark Y » August 19th, 2016, 8:33 am

M. Dildine wrote: Question for Kevin - checking my cellar, I have a couple of bottles of 2007 "Alpine Hillside." Same concept as the '13? Sourced from the same section of the vineyard?
I had some of the 2007 hillside from alpine as well. $150 is a bit pricy for me but I do look fondly back at the good 'ol days of $49 for alpine and I think the hillside was $69 or $79 which at the time was ground breakingly expensive :)

Another fond moment for those that remember the $25/btl case buy of the Sonoma Pinot!
Y.e.

Peter Chiu

#91 Post by Peter Chiu » August 19th, 2016, 8:41 am

M. Dildine wrote:I've been along for this ride since the beginning (is "Tom Hill'd" a verb?) and think that the best California Pinot is absolutely approaching world-class standards - and is worthy of world-class prices.

Mike....

I have the Alpine Hillside 2006 in my cellar. I just finished my last bottle of 2006 Alpine vineyard last month when I presented this wine in a pair-matching tasting with a Faiveley CdMyland 2006 in single blind condition under the theme : 2 red of same vintage year. Very interesting result.....in that ....it is 100% identifiable for the 8 participants.

I am planning to do the Alpine Hillside 2006 in the similar format very soon. In order for me and my friends who are Burgundy lovers to enjoy this event more, please give me more information regarding your view of the following comments :

***** the best California Pinot is absolutely approaching world-class standards - and is worthy of world-class prices ****
Last edited by Peter Chiu on August 19th, 2016, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » August 19th, 2016, 8:42 am

Brian Lynch wrote:
Given the labels, shouldn't that be black market?
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Peter Chiu

#93 Post by Peter Chiu » August 19th, 2016, 9:15 am

DRC printed serial number on their labels....

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by M. Dildine » August 19th, 2016, 9:17 am

Peter Chiu wrote: ***** the best California Pinot is absolutely approaching world-class standards - and is worthy of world-class prices ****
Peter, while people don't believe that the best Napa Cabernet is "the same" as top Bordeaux, the marketplace has accepted that California Cab is capable of delivering comparable (but different) enjoyment. The "Judgement of Paris" probably had something to do with this. While I hate paying exorbitant prices for wine (I'm of Scottish ancestry), I pay over $100 per bottle for two California Cabs - MacDonald and Ridge Monte Bello.

Premium California Pinot Noir is a much newer phenomena than premium Cabernet and the marketplace has yet to be convinced of the overall equivalency of the California product. It is my belief, that this acceptance is coming now and will continue to come.

Rhys is nothing if not the great "Pinot Experiment" - vineyard selection, viticulture and pricing/marketing. The Hillside wines at $150 represent the pinnacle (or close to the pinnacle) of the California Pinot pricing pyramid. And the price-point represents what - a superb Village Burgundy, a decent 1er? I think this price (and more) will be justified by the marketplace.

The marketplace will be the ultimate arbiter on this. And I think Kevin's intrepid bet will pay off.
Cheers,

Mike

Peter Chiu

#95 Post by Peter Chiu » August 19th, 2016, 9:46 am

Thanks for your comments. I will match the 2006 Alpine Hillside with a 2006 Burg -1er cru.

The world-class price New Zealand PN in Quebec, Canada are from 3 Felton ranging from CA$ 74 to CA$95 plus Seresin PN Tatou 2011 at CA$98 and Seresin PN Sun & Moon 2010 at CA$128.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by M. Dildine » August 19th, 2016, 9:51 am

Peter Chiu wrote:Thanks for your comments. I will match the 2006 Alpine Hillside with a 2006 Burg -1er cru.

The world-class price New Zealand PN in Quebec, Canada are from 3 Felton ranging from $ 74 to $ 95 plus Seresin PN Tatou 2011 at $ 95 and Seresin PN Sun & Moon 2010 at $ 128.
Peter, Rhys has been a "bet" in more ways than one. In 2006 the Alpine vines were quite young and (I believe) the winemaking was evolving. I think the playing field is now leveling.

But I look forward to your match-up. I have a few of these '06s as well! What did we pay for these? $45?
Last edited by M. Dildine on August 19th, 2016, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Mike

Peter Chiu

#97 Post by Peter Chiu » August 19th, 2016, 9:54 am

M. Dildine wrote:
Peter Chiu wrote: ***** the best California Pinot is absolutely approaching world-class standards - and is worthy of world-class prices ****
Peter, while people don't believe that the best Napa Cabernet is "the same" as top Bordeaux, the marketplace has accepted that California Cab is capable of delivering comparable (but different) enjoyment. The "Judgement of Paris" probably had something to do with this. While I hate paying exorbitant prices for wine (I'm of Scottish ancestry), I pay over $100 per bottle for two California Cabs - MacDonald and Ridge Monte Bello.

Premium California Pinot Noir is a much newer phenomena than premium Cabernet and the marketplace has yet to be convinced of the overall equivalency of the California product. It is my belief, that this acceptance is coming now and will continue to come.

Rhys is nothing if not the great "Pinot Experiment" - vineyard selection, viticulture and pricing/marketing. The Hillside wines at $150 represent the pinnacle (or close to the pinnacle) of the California Pinot pricing pyramid. And the price-point represents what - a superb Village Burgundy, a decent 1er? I think this price (and more) will be justified by the marketplace.

The marketplace will be the ultimate arbiter on this. And I think Kevin's intrepid bet will pay off.

Code: Select all

And the price-point represents what - a superb Village Burgundy, a decent 1er? I think this price (and more) will be justified by the marketplace

[worship.gif] grouphug

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Scott Jameson » August 19th, 2016, 10:13 am

M. Dildine wrote: I have a few of these '06s as well! What did we pay for these? $45?
$49 for the '06 Alpine and $59 for the '06 Alpine Hillside ... Same for the '07s.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Jay Miller » August 19th, 2016, 10:29 am

M. Dildine wrote:
Of course I stopped buying Roumier village Chambolle when it zoomed past $100 too. But the market for that price point and quality obviously exists.

Charlie Carnes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Charlie Carnes » August 19th, 2016, 10:45 am

That was my point. :) I do it. You do it. We all do it.

...I just did it...It's good to be the king.

I couldn't help myself.

But seriously, this is true. We all do it. In the end, there is a price, we either purchase or not. Good job for Kevin and Rhys team. They have built up to this point, and earned the chance to price these select wines at a premium. I probably would do the same thing.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Return to “Wine Talk”