Gilman is crazy about Rhys "Hillside" wines

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#151 Post by Jay Miller » August 30th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Jay T. wrote:wow. Alpine 750s already sold out. I was going to wait to decide how much to buy but pulled the trigger on a magnum of each and 2 Horseshoe 750s. I share the concerns about pricing discussed above, but purely from a supply/demand perspective, it looks like Rhys priced these too low, if anything. Good for Kevin.

Amazingly enough but yes, congratulations Kevin! It worked since the Rhys wines have been of such high overall quality.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#152 Post by Russ Williams » August 30th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Jay T. wrote:wow. Alpine 750s already sold out. I was going to wait to decide how much to buy but pulled the trigger on a magnum of each and 2 Horseshoe 750s. I share the concerns about pricing discussed above, but purely from a supply/demand perspective, it looks like Rhys priced these too low, if anything. Good for Kevin.
I think he priced it just right. Any higher and I would have passed. You can find very good aged burgundy at this price point, not to mention awesome champagne.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#153 Post by M. Dildine » August 30th, 2016, 1:22 pm

Bold pricing move by Kevin. I've seen these pricing moves backfire.

I may be overstating, but see this offering as a bit of a market referendum on the potential of non-Burgundy Pinot Noir. I'm happy for Kevin and Rhys. And myself (I nabbed a couple)!
Cheers,

Mike

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#154 Post by RyanC » August 30th, 2016, 1:30 pm

M. Dildine wrote:
Bold pricing move by Kevin. I've seen these pricing moves backfire.

I may be overstating, but see this offering as a bit of a market referendum on the potential of non-Burgundy Pinot Noir. I'm happy for Kevin and Rhys. And myself (I nabbed a couple)!
Kevin/Rhys has built up a lot of goodwill by consistently releasing high-quality, ageworthy wines with superlative customer service. But given that it's mostly long-term customers buying these Hillsides, what will be *very* interesting is the next Hillside offer: between now and then, people will open the wines, and if they're not materially better than the regular Skyline/Horseshoe/Alpine bottlings that we all know, that makes the pricing hard to justify. But of course Kevin et al know that, and I'm sure wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think there was a significant step up in quality. I'm psyched to pop one of these open.

(The brilliant marketing with the special release and black labels doesn't hurt...)
C@ughey

Bill Moore

#155 Post by Bill Moore » August 30th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Went all in for the 3+3+mags. Yes, it's a big hit on the pocketbook, but it's also a reflection of how much I believe in what Kevin is doing. And Gilman's laudatory reviews made the decision even easier. Looking forward to enjoying these over the years!
Last edited by Bill Moore on August 30th, 2016, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CT handle: Billigan

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#156 Post by M. Dildine » August 30th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Sold Out
Cheers,

Mike

BLittle
Contributor
Contributor

#157 Post by BLittle » August 30th, 2016, 1:41 pm

that'll learn me to pause... congrats!
Brett Cyril Little (AKA BC)

Jason Petty

#158 Post by Jason Petty » August 30th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Sucks. In meetings all morning and the one time I can break away to go buy my allocation, they're sold out. Where is the guaranteed allocation when you need it? Hate FCFS. Bummer.

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#159 Post by Peter Petersen » August 30th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Had a great allocation but it was all gone by the time my plane landed.
Congrats to the Rhys Team!

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#160 Post by Russ Williams » August 30th, 2016, 1:56 pm

CONGRATS to the Rhys Team!!

etomasi

#161 Post by etomasi » August 30th, 2016, 1:57 pm

Wow, glad I didn't wait. I got 2 alpine and 1 Horseshoe. I wish I could have afforded the 2nd horseshoe.
---
Eric Tomasi
CT: Ericindc

cepotts

#162 Post by cepotts » August 30th, 2016, 2:12 pm

There's a party going on in Santa Cruz tonight!
Craig Potts

D. Wirsig
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#163 Post by D. Wirsig » August 30th, 2016, 2:13 pm

Rats.. Too slow on the trigger.
Dan
--
http://www.vinoterawine.com/
ITB - Pasadena, CA Wine Merchant

Gary Ahearn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#164 Post by Gary Ahearn » August 30th, 2016, 2:28 pm

Would have liked the two Horseshoe Hillsides, but like several others I opened the email too late. Congrats to the early birds!

If anyone has buyer's remorse (nil chance, right?) about their HHs, I'd be glad to help you out!
Last edited by Gary Ahearn on August 30th, 2016, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jody Smith

#165 Post by Jody Smith » August 30th, 2016, 2:32 pm

ugh, just saw the offer open and warning emails - I should have read the save the date email more carefully. Completely blew my generous allocation. Congrats team Rhys.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#166 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » August 30th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Kinda sucks that I had to work today (at the job that pays me the money I use to buy my wines), and couldn't escape until now (late lunch) to look at this offer.

Not even an option to wishlist?!?

Hopefully this plays-out a lot more fairly with the next vintage.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Darren Leininger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#167 Post by Darren Leininger » August 30th, 2016, 3:07 pm

Peter Petersen wrote:Had a great allocation but it was all gone by the time my plane landed.
This! Email hit at 9:04 AM while I was climbing out of SFO. All gone by the time I landed and got my rig fired up. Damn!
"Be Quick, Be Quiet, And Be On Time." - Clarence L "Kelly" Johnson

Sr-71 Master Mind

Bill Mauger
GCC Member
GCC Member

#168 Post by Bill Mauger » August 30th, 2016, 4:02 pm

Darn - logged in early 3+3 unfortunately did not pull trigger - oh well there is a lot of good juice out there - Congrats Jeff & Kevin!

Yang Xiao

#169 Post by Yang Xiao » August 30th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Yeah! This is crazy. I put 2X2 in the cart, by the time I got to the paying page, the first 2 were gone! I thought there was a system error. Still got the 2 horseshoe though.

Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member

#170 Post by Ethan Abraham » August 30th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Wow, i saved a lot of money by being on vacation! Would have liked to have ordered but couldnt get to good cel service. Oh well

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#171 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » August 30th, 2016, 5:06 pm

My allocations was generous and appreciated. I passed and hope others enjoy these wines immensely.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Kevin Harvey

#172 Post by Kevin Harvey » August 30th, 2016, 5:10 pm

While we are thrilled (and frankly a bit awestruck) by the response to this offer, we are also very upset that many great customers did not get a chance to buy the wines. Demand vastly exceeded anything we could have predicted. Using the information we have learned from this offering, we will have a different plan next time. We will make sure that the wine is allocated more broadly and that customers have more time to order.
Meanwhile, I hope customers that did not get a chance to buy wine will accept our heartfelt apology.
Rhys Vineyards

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#173 Post by maureen nelson » August 30th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Apology accepted! I am another that did not have time to buy the allocation. But i will survive. Congrats, Kevin and Jeff.

R Roberts

#174 Post by R Roberts » August 30th, 2016, 5:33 pm

I ran into a website glitch that kept emptying my cart, a first with Rhys. Dunno what happened, but it wasn't user error...
R.ama

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#175 Post by Craig G » August 30th, 2016, 5:39 pm

Kevin Harvey wrote:While we are thrilled (and frankly a bit awestruck) by the response to this offer, we are also very upset that many great customers did not get a chance to buy the wines. Demand vastly exceeded anything we could have predicted. Using the information we have learned from this offering, we will have a different plan next time. We will make sure that the wine is allocated more broadly and that customers have more time to order.
Meanwhile, I hope customers that did not get a chance to buy wine will accept our heartfelt apology.
[youtube]4phbv5Xg9is[/youtube]
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Joe S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#176 Post by Joe S. » August 30th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Luckily I noticed the email on my iPhone while heading out to lunch and scored 2 x 2. Thanks, Kevin - now I just need to keep my hands off them!
[cheers.gif]
-- J. 'eS-eye-dee-dee-ay-eL-eL-
BornToRhone (CT)

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#177 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » August 30th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Kevin Harvey wrote:While we are thrilled (and frankly a bit awestruck) by the response to this offer, we are also very upset that many great customers did not get a chance to buy the wines. Demand vastly exceeded anything we could have predicted. Using the information we have learned from this offering, we will have a different plan next time. We will make sure that the wine is allocated more broadly and that customers have more time to order.
Just logged on to buy. didn't realize it was FCFS. Ooops. The older hillsides I've had have been my favorites so far from the red side of the lineup. Consolation is, in its place, I upped my Vincent Wine order!
Cheers,
Paul

George Chadwick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#178 Post by George Chadwick » August 30th, 2016, 5:56 pm

I know this is a Hillsides thread but some comments on the other 2013's. I read the reviews on the Rhys website of these wines and especially the other 2013's. Seems like everyone except Galloni had a hard time extrapolating where one or two of the wines were going. At least Meadows was honest about the Swan, that he really had no clue where it was headed, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being my favorite 2013. 12.2 percent alcohol! Someday. What I'm not reading is a feel for how each of these wines historically open up differently. I don't think Alpine is worth opening on release even as a data point and I don't see that reflected in the reviews enough and to me that's a really standout aspect of that wine. The chards are very different from each other and I don't see that either. It sounds like the Bearwallow pinot is becoming more and more my style of wine with more and more stuff underneath, not just rich fruit which is how I viewed it before the 2011 vintage, but I haven't opened one yet. Anyway lots of wine to hold onto for as long as possible with or without the Hillsides. Wait until recent vintages of Horseshoe and Alpine and Skyline and Swan get some years on them and then Rhys will enter a new era IMO. My only nit to pick is that I'd like to see stem inclusion handled identically to Dujac LOL.

By the time the Hillsides are ready we'll all be a lot older and they won't have appreciated as much as the stock market so we can get them then from Winebid. If we're still drinking wine.

Andrew Christiansen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#179 Post by Andrew Christiansen » August 30th, 2016, 6:35 pm

In anticipation of a frenzy, I waited all of three hours to buy, which is about 2.5 weeks sooner than I would typically order and about as soon as I could find time at work to check personal email..no soup for me! Oh, well, my wife will be happy without even knowing why!

Kenny H

#180 Post by Kenny H » August 30th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Andrew Christiansen wrote:In anticipation of a frenzy, I waited all of three hours to buy, which is about 2.5 weeks sooner than I would typically order and about as soon as I could find time at work to check personal email..no soup for me! Oh, well, my wife will be happy without even knowing why!
I can chuck you a couple if you need to keep the verts stacking. I dont need them all.
H0eve!kamp

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#181 Post by Jason T » August 30th, 2016, 8:30 pm

I passed on my allocation... hope whoever else got it enjoyed it!!!! These sound like great wines, and I look forward to reading the notes as they are opened!
J@son Tr@ughber

Brady Daniels

#182 Post by Brady Daniels » August 31st, 2016, 1:11 am

Saw the email while out. Said to myself, "I'll order when I get home." You know the phrase, "Blink and you'll miss it"? Apparently, I blinked.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Peter Chiu

#183 Post by Peter Chiu » August 31st, 2016, 4:45 am

George Chadwick wrote:I know this is a Hillsides thread but some comments on the other 2013's. I read the reviews on the Rhys website of these wines and especially the other 2013's. Seems like everyone except Galloni had a hard time extrapolating where one or two of the wines were going. At least Meadows was honest about the Swan, that he really had no clue where it was headed, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being my favorite 2013. 12.2 percent alcohol! Someday. What I'm not reading is a feel for how each of these wines historically open up differently. I don't think Alpine is worth opening on release even as a data point and I don't see that reflected in the reviews enough and to me that's a really standout aspect of that wine. The chards are very different from each other and I don't see that either. It sounds like the Bearwallow pinot is becoming more and more my style of wine with more and more stuff underneath, not just rich fruit which is how I viewed it before the 2011 vintage, but I haven't opened one yet. Anyway lots of wine to hold onto for as long as possible with or without the Hillsides. Wait until recent vintages of Horseshoe and Alpine and Skyline and Swan get some years on them and then Rhys will enter a new era IMO. My only nit to pick is that I'd like to see stem inclusion handled identically to Dujac LOL.

By the time the Hillsides are ready we'll all be a lot older and they won't have appreciated as much as the stock market so we can get them then from Winebid. If we're still drinking wine.

[winner.gif] [worship.gif]

Code: Select all

My only nit to pick is that I'd like to see stem inclusion handled identically to Dujac LOL.

I love Charles Audoin - specially his La Charmes aux Prêtres 05- which I considered a g-cru red. I think I will match it with Alpine Hill side 2006.

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#184 Post by Mike Stoneking » August 31st, 2016, 6:06 pm

Grabbed 2 of each and I am willing to share 1+1 with anyone in SoCal that was shut out. At cost, but no shipping so we would have to meet for a hand off. FCFS!! [wink.gif]
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#185 Post by Mike Stoneking » August 31st, 2016, 6:53 pm

Mike Stoneking wrote:
Grabbed 2 of each and I am willing to share 1+1 with anyone in SoCal that was shut out. At cost, but no shipping so we would have to meet for a hand off. FCFS!! [wink.gif]
That was quick. Sold.
Viva Berserkers!!

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

#186 Post by Scott Watkins » August 31st, 2016, 7:05 pm

Sob ;)
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

#187 Post by Mike Stoneking » August 31st, 2016, 7:33 pm

Scott Watkins wrote:Sob ;)
Will break these out with the group at a dinner in about 10 years. [cheers.gif]
Viva Berserkers!!

Jeff Allison

#188 Post by Jeff Allison » September 1st, 2016, 6:39 am

Had the order queued up, but was asking a local friend if he wanted one of each as well, as I was only planning on taking 2 of each. By the time I heard back, was sold out. Congrats to the Rhys team, and hoping to get a chance on the next go around.

Joe G a l e w s k i
GCC Member
GCC Member

#189 Post by Joe G a l e w s k i » September 1st, 2016, 3:38 pm

I expect to get blasted for this, but...

I have not had much success with Rhys Pinot Noir. I've opened a few, I've tasted some from friends, and I don't get it.

Now their chardonnay can be quite amazing. It is nuanced, elegant, maybe subtle and understated, quite sly in its balance and complexity. I can see where some people might not get it, thinking that there just isn't any "there" there. But I have had bottles that were extraordinary in their complexity and indicative of world-class chardonnay.

I've never experienced this with a bottle of their pinot noir. Cellartracker tells me I've drank 10 of their pinots, with one 83 point anomaly, otherwise a pretty tight range of 87-91 - the 91 being a 2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace.

I will continue to sit on the 26 bottles I already own and hope for the best. A friend of mine sold all of his and basically gave up on them, but I am not willing to do so. Indeed, I wonder if they need more time, and Rhys has done a great job with the drinking window information on their website. But I am not comfortable purchasing more at current pricing.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#190 Post by Russ Williams » September 1st, 2016, 3:45 pm

No blasting here. If everyone's palate was the same it would be very difficult to buy the wines you want.

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#191 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » September 1st, 2016, 7:13 pm

Thanks for the email Kevin. While I'm not particularly upset at missing The Hillsides, your customer service always makes me smile.
Cheers,
Paul

Peter Chiu

#192 Post by Peter Chiu » September 2nd, 2016, 5:51 am

Joe G a l e w s k i wrote:I expect to get blasted for this, but...

I have not had much success with Rhys Pinot Noir. I've opened a few, I've tasted some from friends, and I don't get it.

Now their chardonnay can be quite amazing. It is nuanced, elegant, maybe subtle and understated, quite sly in its balance and complexity. I can see where some people might not get it, thinking that there just isn't any "there" there. But I have had bottles that were extraordinary in their complexity and indicative of world-class chardonnay.

I've never experienced this with a bottle of their pinot noir. Cellartracker tells me I've drank 10 of their pinots, with one 83 point anomaly, otherwise a pretty tight range of 87-91 - the 91 being a 2006 Rhys Pinot Noir Swan Terrace.

I will continue to sit on the 26 bottles I already own and hope for the best. A friend of mine sold all of his and basically gave up on them, but I am not willing to do so. Indeed, I wonder if they need more time, and Rhys has done a great job with the drinking window information on their website. But I am not comfortable purchasing more at current pricing.

I am with you...... [cheers.gif]

They are great wines but they are not *my preferred style* of PN. pileon [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Jay T.

#193 Post by Jay T. » September 2nd, 2016, 8:22 am

My wife has been a bit more skeptical of Rhys Pinot (we both love the Chardonnay), especially as our holdings have become quite large. She's fairly sensitive to stems and finds a lot of Rhys Pinot too sappy. But we have really been enjoying bottles from 2009 and 2010 lately. We opened a 2010 Alpine last night, and it was a wow wine for everyone. Quite ripe, but really hit the spot, and the sappiness of past bottles has evolved into a delicious spiciness.
T*R*I*C*K*E*T*T

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#194 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 2nd, 2016, 2:33 pm

Pmenkes wrote:Thanks for the email Kevin. While I'm not particularly upset at missing The Hillsides, your customer service always makes me smile.
Ditto. Thanks for the email, Kevin. [cheers.gif]
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#195 Post by Peter Petersen » September 2nd, 2016, 6:19 pm

Rhys is a first class operation! :)

Andrew Kaufman

#196 Post by Andrew Kaufman » September 3rd, 2016, 8:39 am

I know this a no big deal to most, but I had intended to purchase at least bottle of each. Unfortunately I was in the hospital without my credit card and in and out, I did email as soon as I realized that it was about sell out but it had already sold out. Dang.

Jim Brennan

#197 Post by Jim Brennan » April 7th, 2017, 9:12 am

So the Hillside bottles arrived last week. Anyone drink one for the greater good?

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#198 Post by Russ Williams » April 7th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Heck No!!

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#199 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » April 7th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Check back in 10 years. :)

Jeff D a v i e s

#200 Post by Jeff D a v i e s » April 7th, 2017, 5:58 pm

mine are sleeping....

Return to “Wine Talk”