Napa trip: Wineries to visit if I like classic reds?

Can you guys help me with planning my Napa trip? I like classic, earthy, structured Bordeaux styled reds. I don’t like fruit bombs. I’m also looking for wineries that sell for <$100.

Which wineries should I visit for tasting?

So far my list consists of:
Keenan
Smith Madrone
Corison

Ridge
Mayacamas
Heitz
Stony Hill
Littorai (Pinot)

+1. Visiting next month for the first time.

Matthiasson- they also have some killer whites and some real interesting blends
Calluna- in Sonoma on top of Chalk Hill appellation. Check out the notes on the board
Frogs Leap- haven’t been but believe they fit the bill. Some notes from folks who have can be found via search
Seavey
Blankiet- most of their wines are over $100 but they fit the style very well so if you do one top end tasting highly recommend
Robert Craig- a little more fruit than earth but a great line up of wines for the $

cheers

Corison
Chateau Montelena

(Ridge isn’t in Napa, BTW)

Forman and Montelena are right around the $100 mark. Agree with Fred on Robert Craig. Ridge is up in Healdsburg, in Sonoma County, if you want to go that way. Enjoy the trip!

Thanks,
Ed

Fred’s recommendation of Frogs Leap is a good place to start for any first time visitor. They have a very friendly and informative your, and you’ll sample 5 wines that are definitely classic in style. Prices are very reasonable.

Seavey is also a great stop and fits the style you’re looking for. Contact Dorie Seavey and she’ll set you up with a nice tour and tasting.

Not much red at Stony Hill, but their young vine Cabernet Sauvignon fits.

Everything I’d recommend has already been mentioned, but I’d also add Von Strasser on Diamond Mtn and White Rock in the Soda Canyon area…

It doesn’t get mentioned much here but Trefethen would be another option.

Are they making catsup in Napa these days?

Pairs with the Sonoma Pinot.

The couple of reds I have tasted from them seem very well balanced. I think they have an excellent future as a Cabernet producer. Plus, if you visit there you get to see the marvelous views.

The first rule of Fight Club is…

what do the cabs go for ?

I really need to visit them. Fascinating history on the winemaker and his history with Ric Forman.

Fred - Stony Hill cab is $60, we visited there a couple years ago and I have bought the last two vintages (10, 11). It’s an elegant, restrained cab and I really enjoyed it at the winery. I have not opened the 10 or 11 yet. The 12 should be released this month I think. The chard is excellent too at $42 (10% off that price with a case discount).

I have had the 2007 (was still just called red wine then) and it was beautiful. https://www.stonyhillvineyard.com/shop/Available-Wines It is as described above, elegant and restrained, as the OP requested. Certainly NOT for the bigger is better crowd any more than their Chardonnay is. The 2011 Cabernet apparently is 13.2% alcohol!!!

One last note on Stony Hill, Levi Dalton has a good interview with winemaker Mike Chelini on the ‘I’ll Drink To That’ podcasts

For the record, Stony Hill is probably my hands down favorite winery. The whites speak for themselves, but I think their Cab is one of the best steals around. Mike is a superb winemaker and immensely talented and knowledgeable. I always have room in my cellar for Stony Hill, although I probably need to drink more of them!

Alex, what vintages of the red (Cabernet) have you tried? Are you finding much in the way of vintage differences?