Shafer Relentless

2012 just released. I bought 2010 2 years ago at $72 per bottle. It’s now $85 per bottle - $50 to ship 3 bottles. I like this style from time to time but geez…

But just think: you get 3 for the price of 1 HSS! I had the 02 recently and it was fabulous.

Yeah, I passed on the 2011 HSS too after steadily buying the past few years. I can’t stomach the steady price increases - with taxes and shipping, I’m well over $100 per bottle.

Seems to be a wine in high distribution too. Like the SHS, unless its a 100 pointer or WSWOTY, its easy to find.

I do like the wines and find that it ages wonderfully. In the past I drank mine too young, but once I started to let them age, I found they are special.

Well, I just got the Pax offer. $15 per bottle cheaper for their highest end Syrah. Decisions, decisions…

No need to buy Shafer direct.

Relentless is a great wine but its not a $100 wine, with shipping etc its the same as a Saxum and im sorry but its not in that league.

I had Relentless from 06-09 and have a few 10’s in the locker but it is not something i will be continuing with. The WOTY for 08 really escalated the price.

Scott, I have always backfilled Relentless via Winebid at a steep discount to Shafer release prices.

Unfortunately, Winebid (and so many others) are not options in TX. I’ll likely take a pass.

why wouldn’t you just buy from an in-state retailer? No shipping cost.

Whatever budget I may have mentally put aside for Relentless I just dropped on Pax. Problem solved!

Shafer priced me out of HSS and Relentless this year. I can spend my money more wisely.

This is the key. While it’s drinkable younger, it really seems to hit its stride around 9-10 years from the vintage. Or at least that was the case, I haven’t tried any of the more recent vintages and don’t know if the wines have changed stylistically.

If I don’t order one of these two, I’m just hoping they don’t drop me from the HSS list. Any thoughts?

Joe, you have to order the 2011 HSS to stay on the list. Other wines don’t count.

Yeay! Already did!

Im trying to get onto the hss list. Still waiting.

I haven’t ordered the Relentless or Merlot for several years and I still get the HSS. They also seem to never drop me from the Relentless/Merlot lists, or if they do, it takes a long time…

I didn’t realize that Relentless had gone up that much in price over the last few years. IIRC, it used to be in the $50-55 range not that long ago.

I agree with Chris, etc - it is a beautiful wine that struts it’s stuff with a number if years of cellar aging.

I indirectly pay homage to the wine with my The Climb (that’s how highly I think of it!)

Cheers.

I dropped Shafer this year as well, easy decision for me considering what I can purchase in lieu of. I’m picking up the Pax as well Scott, great juice.