TNR: Gosset Celebris 2002

Hi;

I’m thinking that based on producer and vintage, this should be great. Anyone try it?

Thanks in advance!

Just bought four at that ridiculous price. No room for the mags or I’d buy those two.Years ago I had the 1998 and it was up to that point the best Champagne I’d had. I think the style is vinous as opposed to bready and yeasty and toasty.

Also they make great gifts, the design to me is very pretty.

I grabbed a couple plus a mag

Some love this wine, but I find it to be extremely void of just about any flavor other than clean, fresh, sharp, tart citrus. I can seem some calling this vinous, but I think it is just not very good. To me, this isn’t a good buy at even $40 a bottle as it comes across as sterile and without life. That said, more and more, I find Gosset to be pursuing this style in the name of ‘purity’. Age will give it a touch of roundness and likely a hint of cream, but not much esle.

Without regard to my thoughts, if you are into tart, citrus, clean, dry Champagne, this may be right up your alley.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for chiming in! I was wondering if you have similar thoughts about the 1998 Celebris?

Cheers,

Hal

Hal,

I like the 98 quite a bit more, but I’m still not a big fan. I think the 98 had great potential, but the dosage was too low and it didn’t allow the full array of fruity and bread based flavors to bloom. I do really like the nose on the wine as it is full of orange honey, but the palate tilts too much towards thin, tart, dry citrus than I would like.

Overall, I think Gosset has moved to too much of a clean, pure, non-expressive low dosage wine making style for its vintage wines (much like Jacquesson has for its entire range). Some really like this, but I’m not a fan as I miss the flavor and expression of the wines when they had a touch more dosage. I do like the 2004 Millesime, but it still tilts strongly towards the tart, dry, mineral end of the spectrum.

Looking forward to try it - thanks for the data point Brad - our palates generally agree, and we’ll see on this one

If you are into dry, tart, mineral leaning wines that don’t have a whole lot else expression-wise then I think you will really, really like this. Personally, I look for and prefer more character, but that is just me. I know this wine has its fans. The key is knowing your own palate and what you prefer.

If this type of wine sounds like it is up your wheelhouse then I think you really, really like it. It just isn’t up mine.

Thanks a lot, Brad! I really appreciate your sharing your thoughts and preferences!

Cheers,

Hal

Thanks to all, especially Brad!

What was the “ridiculous price” if I might ask…

$60

Brad, when did this change take place? I remember liking Gosset’s 96 Brut Grand Millesime a good bit. Also, do they bottle their Celebris with a lower dosage than they use for their standard vintage bottling?

Thank you. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss an even more ridiculous price. Although I too passed on the Mags, I did pick up several 750s from that $79.99 less $19.99 offer yesterday. Even better than the $69.95 I paid for the '98 Gosset Celebris from LA Wine Co in Sept. 2009.

+1. Brad is being too kind here. Even at a ridiculous price I traded this long ago

I think the style changed starting with the vintages after the 96 as all the vintage wines seemed to thin out after that. In my opinion, there is more to it than just lower dosage; In the late 90s and early 00s, production was also upped and a lot of marketing was done (when compared to what they did previously). My feeling is that this had more to do with the changes than anything else . I still find the trademark touches of fruity richness in Gosset’s basic NV range of the Brut Excellence, Grande Reserve, and Grande Rose, but not the newer NV BdB or the vintage wines. There is also quite a bit of bottle variation across all of the wines too. The ambition to grow and chase new drinkers has led to a quality decrease IMO.

As to dosage, the it tends to drop as you move through the range from the NVs to the Millesime to the Celebris range.

You also have to remember that Gosset does not do any malolactic fermentation on the wines outside of the NV Brut Excellence. If you aren’t harvesting ripe grapes, low dosage can be difficult in this style.

The only vintage of Celebris that i thought was good was the 1990.

With apologies, I did not see any offer for the Gosset Celebris '02 for 60. Can you post a link/details?
I have few of the '98 @ storage, which I plan on trying at some point later this fall.

Weekend sale at PC- prearrival. So discussion of the actual wine is more a hypothetical. :slight_smile:

Not linkable, it’s an email. Call them