One of the best champagnes I`ve ever had!

Last night, I had one of the best champagnes Ive ever had and certainly as good as any Ive had from this house. Now for some who know me, you know that`s a pretty big statement and includes some heavy hitters from stellar vintages from both big houses and small growers and everything in between.

My sweetie and I dine out every few weeks at our favorite local restaurant, the Stonehouse, located on the luxurious San Ysidro Ranch property. On the occasions the weather permits which in Santa Barbara is most of the time, we have a favorite table at the corner end of the outside upper patio that offers some intimacy along with the best views.

We were served graciously and treated royally which adds to the completeness of each occasion and we love the food that has consistently been to our liking.

As usual, we Uber to and fro and take champagne and a red wine to pair with the vast menu options and sit back and enjoy a full evening sipping and chatting and relishing the beautiful and peaceful ambience while loving our time together.

On this night, we took:

2000 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BRUT BLANC de BLANCS- simply magnificent; it had all of the bases covered; the yellow toward gold color suggested serious concentration and thats what materialized; major perfume of complex aromas of honeysuckle and toasted brioche were joined by spice, ginger, lemon, lime and kiwi with a touch of saline; it had very bright acidity and most notable, amazing balance throughout the entire experience and it was AN EXPERIENCE; this ememplified power and finesse; it was full on and yet easy and graceful; the nose just kept giving and giving and all of the treasures were sensed early on and all the way to the back end with a long welcomed finish; It was definitely a sipper and with each sip, the pleasures continued to unfold and deliver; did I say, “magnificent”?; Ive enjoyed many other CdC, Krug, Salon, Dom, Clos des Goisses, Cristal, SWC et al from top vintages as well as others, none showing any better than this bottle.

1997 WILLIAMS SELYEM COASTLANDS VINEYARD SONOMA COAST PINOT NOIR- from the last vintage Burt vinified before selling and a wine Ive visited many times, this bottle showed great character although it was more mature and evolved than most to date; it had some obvious bricking; its still very viable and offering tertiary notes of burnt dried cherry/ berry; the initial fruit profile of nice spicy, cinnamon, clove and smoke infused strawberry, raspberry and cherry still was evident, but overshadowed and pushed to a backup role by mid palate; over time, this became even more enjoyable and more balanced; the somewhat viscous texture added to the sensory treat and the finish held on for an extension of such; we took some home and will revisit a small portion soon.

I recognize a wines glamour is also predicated upon other factors like the people were with, the conversation, the ambience, the food, service, stemware etc., but this CdC was at the top of the champagne game and I shall always remember its gifts. What will my other 00s be like? Will they be as good as or better than 61, 64, 69, 76, 81, 85, 90, 95, 96? This one was. I`m salivating in anticipation.

Cheers,
Blake
IMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG

great note and I love the 2000 Comtes and the 04 and the 99…

Im with you on those and then when I think of what would I add, itd be the 95 which still is over shadowing the 96 IMHO.

Nice notes and a classy post!

On release I wasn’t a fan of the 2000 and didn’t buy. I got to try it a few years later and realized my mistake. Glad you had such a wonderful experience with it [cheers.gif]

Nice note Blake.
Yes the 2000 is very nice.
I really like the 1998 a lot too!
Great note.

Dang! You are on a solid hitting streak on your notes!

That was gorgeous.

The 2002, 2004 and 2005 are all outstanding but I haven’t had the 2000. But I did have a fine bottle of 1990 courtesy of Alan Weinberg a couple weeks ago and it was beautiful. I visited Taittinger a couple years ago and they are really doing a great job.

I had 2000 Comtes few times. Whilst, I won’t call it the best champagne ever it was a wonderful champagne that I still remember.

I’ve had four bottles of the 2000 Comtes, and there’s been some bottle variation: Two were very good, one was excellent, and one was outstanding. From one of my remaining bottles, I’ll hope for a future experience like yours, Blake!

Thank you for your kind remarks Anton, Don, Jay and Sean.

The 90` was superlative as well and I still remember that as being one of the finest from this house in the last 20-30 years. Our visit to Taittinger 3 years ago was over the top as it was semi private, included a lot of library and present release stuff and a bottle of the Rose to take home which got as far as our hotel in Ay.

I loved that restaurant the one time I went. And I have no doubt I would love that Champagne!

Im not liking the possibility of not having replication for the remaining bottles I have although I know thats always a potential. Soon, I`ll revisit one and post results.

love the 90. I can bring some of the 00 next time, Jerry, but suspect we would like it older.

Yeah this.

Probably the best '98 I have had.

The '95 is fabulous also…

I’ll echo the bottle variation: one in mid-June when our daughter visited was young, fresh and very good (92); one last Friday for my wife’s birthday was much richer in color and flavor, which I appreciated (94), but too “grapey” for her. Put another way, I drank the first, but sipped the second.

My experience with Tait is that it is one of the best Champagne’s out there especially for the money. I have not experienced the bottle variation that some speak about.

“Tait”?

Agreed, it’s very good, but has it really achieved an in-crowd imprematur a la “Chevy” or “Monty”?

I find that hard to believe, given that it cost less than $100 a bottle.

I splurged on a bottle of 1990 from Benchmark a few years back. One of my all time top Champagnes.