A few recent Rhones

2012 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (8/24/2015)
Medium ripe and slightly smoky nose; fairly dark, deep, rich, lush ripe plum, but not at all overripe or sweet; slightly roasted note, plenty of acidity, very well balanced. Seems fairly clean (brett-wise) though there is a hint of metallic bitterness on the finish. Not really in my wheelhouse, but I would think fans of Pegau would find this very attractive. (92 pts.)

2012 Michel & Stéphane Ogier Côte-Rôtie Le Village - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (8/24/2015)
Slight smoky nose, with some obvious new oak as well; medium-full bodied, with medium plum fruit, but muddled and overwhelmed by oak. Next to the 2012 Clape tasted alongside, this fell flat. (86 pts.)

2012 Domaine Auguste Clape Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (8/24/2015)
Fairly dark in color, slightly smoky with a touch of sweet fruit on the nose; rich, dark, vibrant fruit, beautiful violet note on the finish; medium tannins, a bit restrained overall for the vintage, simply gorgeous wine. What Syrah wants to be when it grows up. (94 pts.)

2013 François Villard Condrieu Le Grand Vallon - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu (8/24/2015)
Perfect archetypal Viognier nose, flavorful, balanced, good acidity, not overblown, not too lean, a beautiful Goldilocks Condrieu. (92 pts.)

Alan, thats a new bottling from Stéphane. Looks to be younger vines, listed as from 5-30 years. The “regular” Côte-Rôtie is now listed as “Reserve” and from 40 year old vines. Both bottlings have 20% new oak according to Karchers website. My favorite bottling is “Lancement”. Its from a parcel in Côte Blonde of 40-60 year old vines and sees no new oak. I much prefer it to Belle Hélène, which is from a small parcel in Côte Brune in lieu-dit “Côte Rozier” of 70 year old vines, but sees 50% new oak. Most bang for your buck is La Rosine from vineyards 20-30 years old located between Côte Rôtie and Condrieu, at the boarder of Côte Rôtie appellation-in the South. It too sees no new oak. When I was going to the Marché in Ampuis, this wine was better than most of the Côte-Rôtie I tasted from the 30 or so producers pouring there.

Thanks Everett. This is my first experience with the “Reserve”. The others I know about, and have been able to sample, either from bottle, or (once) in the cellar with Stephan. I didn’t realize the difference in oak treatment between the Lancement and Helene, but both are out of my price range anyway, so I’m not able to buy them. Have drunk lots of bottles of the Rosine :slight_smile: