Which Wineries Have the Best Websites?

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed in the past, but I would like to read which wineries YOU feel have websites that address your criteria for a comprehensive source of data on their products.

What matters to you in a winery’s site?

Who succeeds in meeting your expectations?

I find the drinkability chart on the Carlisle site to be a terrific reference.

Any with tasting notes/reviews with suggested drinking windows on current AND past vintages gets my vote. I like those as a reference tool.
The ability to buy direct from the site is a bonus.
Some that come to mind are Epoch, Nicora, Jaffurs and Ojai.

Another with tasting notes, drinking windows and past vintages is Tablas Creek. Also an interesting blog.

I agree that Carlisle has a very well put-together site; updated drinking charts are always appreciated.

Anything that is up to date… And anything that has a record of notes on each wine by vintage.

It’s unfortunate that most wineries don’t keep their websites updated. I see too many with “current release” information that is on the '09s… I’m sitting there thinking, “wow, way behind”. I know most wineries don’t have a dedicated webmaster. They have small operations and other things to do. But many are missing a great opportunity to keep their biggest fans well informed

Agree, Tablas Creek.

Charles Joguet has a very good site including periodically updated drinking windows on past vintages, lots of technical info on each cuvee, vintage, and bottling. My only criticism is they underestimate the longevity of their drinking windows, in my opinion.

My website needs a revamp. Totally. But for the size of my business, the expense does not appear to be warranted. My guess is if I asked my customers if they prefer a price increase or an outdated website, the answer would be deafening.

Mount Eden’s site has excellent info on how older vintages are drinking.

Carlisle, as mentioned, and also Rhys and Bedrock. Outstanding info on the individual wines. I reference the Carlisle and Rhys drinking window charts regularly, and it’s very helpful to read about the makeup of the various Bedrock blends.

I wonder what percentage of a wineries website visitors are returning customers vs potential customers. Much more important for the second group who are in discovery mode.

abreu is the best looking/visual website.

Uh, don’t really care, since I’m not drinking the website.

Ah! The Heart of the matter. How to appeal to prospective buyers via the website…

When I get one of your emails, I can order your wine easily enough. And there are always tastings noes around here. So for your purpose, your site is fine.

I like Ch Latour’s website. Contains useful info that is NOT an e-commerce site or hipster bullshit.

Agreed. I update my opening page with notes on the current offering. And the Order page is frequently updated with available vintages and price changes (both of which are driven by supply and demand). For BerserkerDay, all wines on the order page are updated with BDay prices, if they are included in the 3 hour offer. I have fallen behind in the tasting note pages - just have not done it. No one has asked why not!

I think because my customer base is derived from word-of-mouth and no formal marketing campaign, the notes found here on WB, on eBob, Delectable, CT and others are pretty accurate. It is not like someone is picking up a bottle at the corner market on the way home. People who have my wine have heard about it, made an effort to seek it out, and the audience/note writers is pretty self-selecting.

In addition, most people have realized that it is just me - a one-woman shop. They know if they email, they hear from me quickly. I have corresponded today - personally - with at least a dozen customers and potential customers. And it is Sunday.

I receive a report each week of how many folks have gone onto my website, and where they are coming from. The number of hits on a regular basis is low, and is off the charts just prior to BerserkerDay and my regular mailing list offers.There are upticks when there are CT entries or notes posted somewhere.

Ghost Horse.

I knew this would come up! Is it still the same as a few years ago???