Thoughts on drinking my best wines - my son's wedding

My son got married today. Small group - 10 people. If you have wines that you really really like, what better time to drink them. I just can’t see saving things. We are collectors in name only, we don’t collect to hoard, at least I don’t. What else is a collection for - to enjoy and to celebrate. You may personally have preferred other wine choices, which is fine, but I know my audience and this was the right stuff.

My son is a white wine drinker, so in addition to champagne to start, it was time to pull out a good white and the only rose I have found that’s worth drinking. My other son and I like big reds, so that that seemed like a good idea as well. Here’s the happy couple. No better excuse to open the good stuff.

From left, front row:

2010 Schrader RBS
2007 Saxum James Berry Vineyard
2013 Sine Qua Non In The Abstract
2009 Paumanok Late Harvest Riesling
2004 Dom Perignon
2013 Sine Qua Non And an Eight Track
1999 Pol Roger Winston Churchill

Back Row, from left

Pin Hua, Gregory

I love how your babies are more important than your baby!

:wink:

Kidding aside, congrats Jay, that’s a big day!

Mazel tov, Jay!
Couldn’t agree more - days like this are EXACTLY the time to open your favorite bottles.

Congratulations, dad.

Woo Hoo!

Congrats to you and them!

Thanks for saving me some of the Pol Roger!

champagne.gif

what sizes are those?

The issue was not lost on me, but after about 3 seconds of thought, it became clear which baby needed preserving and which ones needed to be used up.

Sorry. The Pol Roger went with the happy couple for their wedding night. champagne.gif

Mazel tov indeed, young man. What a delight to share great wines on such an occasion. And congratulations to everyone involved in the decision to have an intimate and loving celebration and not a future-burdening extravaganza. Well done all round

No better excuse to pop those/your babies. Congrats to you and the family.

BTW, Jay, when you get a chance, I’d love to hear about the 1999 Winnie. I have one bottle . . . .

Very good, but still a baby. A little drier than the DP. I do not like ultra brut and I find most Krug to be annoyingly bitter, although recently I have had some very good NV. This PR was my last of three bottles and it was outstanding, but I think it is not at its peak. Just beginning to take on tertiary characteristics. I do not have a lot of experience with old champagne, but if I had another bottle and no good excuse to open it, I might wait until its 20th Birthday.

Thanks for the info.

Mazel tov, Jay.

Congratulations! I wish a happy future for your son and daughter-in-law!

Mazel tov, Jay. Absolutely no better setting…

Sandwiched between 2 winners > Paumanok. flirtysmile

Mazel tov on the marriage. Can’t wait to see what you open at the Bris.

Mazel tov. A day to remember

Mazel tov buddy–great looking wedding photo.
The marital couple ain’t bad either.

Congratulations.