A couple of '80 Cabs (Birth Year Party)

It was my wife’s 35th birthday this past week, and Friday night we opened a couple of fun birth year wines.

1980 BV GdL (Magnum) - Definitely showing its age, but continued to open up over the course of a couple of hours. Nose was a bit faded, basically tasted like an older slightly faded Paulliac. 88pts

1980 Mondavi Reserve - Wow…way better than the BV. Found this bottle in an OWC that had been purchased on release and properly cellared for over 30 years. Very little bricking, great perfume on the nose, bright fruits, and solid composure. Went with the Andouz method for about 3 hours and the wine actually continued to improve over the course of the next hour. Despite showing its age, the wine was still surprisingly youthful. I had the '87 Mondavi Reserve a couple of weeks ago, and the '80 compared favorably. I would say this could hold up for a few more years yet. I will probably continue to open another bottle once year to see how it runs out over then next decade or so. 94pts

Nice notes Alex and hope your wife had a great birthday!

Great notes Alex, and very timely. I will be celebrating my 35th b-day in December, and have been putting together my “game plan” for the night.

I have an 80 Dom P lined up, and a solid desert wine, but still trying to decide on a couple nice cabs to pop as well.

Sounds like the Mondavi Reserve might be one of them, but was wondering if you, or anyone else has any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Rich,

I wish I had the '80 DP. Hard to find a reasonable price. I got rearlly lucky with the Mondavi Reserve. I found an OWC that had been purchased at release and perfectly stored since. I mean they were still in original tissue.

I have an '80 Jordan that I might still open this week to see how it has held up.

I am also buying up wine from '77 as that is my birth year. With both cases I am obivously buying through brokers and at auction, and I try to pay very close attention to fill levels and provenance (to the extent you can believe what the seller is saying about the bottles history). I stay away from fill levels that are not into the neck (although low neck is not a disqualifier on it’s own), and stay away from any mention of past seepage (although that doesn’t seem to matter much with the ports).

Good luck and let us know how it goes! When is the big night by the way?

Regards,

Alex

Thanks Alex! I got lucky with the 80 Dom P and found someone selling it locally for a very reasonable price. Actually negotiating with a different guy right now who has a magnum. I need to get the price down a little bit more to pull the trigger/not have my wife kill me…but I’d really like to pop that one for my 35th.

So funny, as I actually have an 80 Jordan as well. I’ve read good reviews, but would LOVE to hear what you think if you do open one up.

In the meantime, I’m doing the same at auction to try and source some bottles. Always a bit of a crap-shoot of course, but I tend to follow the same criteria as you when taking a chance on one.

Good luck finding some 77’s (I’m looking for 78’s for my wife), and please post a note if you do crack the Jordan :slight_smile:

Thanks Alex!

Rich

p.s B-Day is not until mid December…so I have a little time to keep hunting :slight_smile:

Feel free to PM me if you decide to pass on the '80 DP Mag. I think my wife would go crazy for it! Anyhow, I’ll be sure to post something on the Jordan on this thread when we do open it!

Good luck man!

-Alex

When the 80 dom P is a good/well stored bottle - its awesome. Had a stellar bottle less than a month ago.

The 80 Jordan is a pretty good cab. Will seek out the Mondavi! '80 birth year is very hit/miss!

You got it man - I definitely will.

I’ll look forward to that note on the Jordan -here’s to hoping it show’s incredibly well for you!

Rich

Andouz method?

I am going to open at least one 1980 Napa Cab tonight. Either Mondavi or Burgess. Both appear to be in great condition externally. Bought at auction in the last couple years. Had them standing up for a few days. Trying to decide if going to up early or let my friend who is a somm do it at beginning of dinner.

1980 is my year, too, and it’s been a tricky one for me. Imagine that well-stored bottles of the Dom and Mondavi could be special.

The best Port houses made solid 1980s that are overlooked between the 1977s and 1983s. One more obscure recommendation, if you can find it, would be the 1980 Mas Amiel Maury Millésimé, which should age exceptionally well. And although I’ve never had a Dr. Parce Banyuls from 1980, I would not hesitate to buy a bottle if you see one.

Others that I’ve enjoyed, which have most likely faded by now, are the 1980 Climens, 1980 Chateau St. Jean Gewürztraminer Late Harvest Individual Bunch Selected Jimtown Ranch, and the 1980 Produttori Normale. All but the Chateau St. Jean were standard 750 bottles; I’d be interested to hear if anyone has recently had the 1980 Climens from magnum, given that Climens is usually my clear #2 in Sauternes, behind only Yquem.

Finally, for as much German wine as I buy and drink, I have never had a 1980. Along with 1987, it is the only vintage that I have never had since 1965. At some point, I’ll probably end up buying a BA/TBA/Eiswein because it’s too strange to not have ever had any Rieslings from my birth year.

Nice suggestions! I actually have almost all of those dessert wines that you mention but have not opened one in a while…but the Climens was good a few years back.

And love seeing this thread being resurrected as I’m celebrating and opening a few 1980s this weekend! Stay tuned for notes, including a solid Dom P

The 1980 Montelena Estate Cabernet was excellent, and drinking very young, when I had it in 2011. It was from 750mL; I bet well-stored examples are at peak now. I continue to sit on my mag.

My girlfriend is a 1980 Capricorn, so we’re about to launch into the same thing - a 1980 Burgess Vintage Selection – please let us know how the Burgess or the Mondavi goes. We had a Sterling Reserve a few years ago that was very nice - better than you’d expect.

1980 in Mosel was marked by rain and early frost. The only thing I’ve ever been able to find is a Zilliken Kabinett Eiswein labeled 7% abv. This was before eiswein was its own prädikat so I think this is basically wine made from frozen, marginally ripe grapes? The color is good so it should at least be interesting.

I had a number of bottles of this in the 1980s and 1990s. I really liked it then and drank mine up a number of years ago. Too bad it has faded.

The only 1980 Sauternes that I had was Yquem and it was fabulous - although this was a number of years ago. I would not be shocked if the Climens was good also.

I seem to remember 1980 was NOT a good year for German wines. I don’t remember ever having had a 1980 German wine. By contrast, there were some excellent 1987s. The first Donnhoffs I tasted were 1987 Oberhauser Brucke Kabinett and Spatlese. Really good but old fashioned - lighter body, really high acidity.

I agree that the 1980 Ports I have had were solid, but not as good as 1977s and 1983s.

If you do a search, William Kelley has written posts recently praising 1980 red Burgundies.

The Mondavi opened well, although the cork was pretty saturated, so we didn’t open the Burgess. It is back sleeping in the cellar.

The 1980 Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon was great. Definitely showing its age, as the fruit had mostly faded. But, the leathery and dusty nose smelled amazing and pleasantly strong. The palate had some light tobacco notes along with an earthy finish. No funk at all. Paired great with a filet, roasted asparagus and smashed and roasted red potatoes.

It was a wonderful way to start the holiday celebrations and say goodbye to 2020.
9AF16E4E-FAD4-4652-862D-FACFBBC5F2EB.jpeg

Seemingly pretty good color on that Mondavi!

The 1980 Yquem is very solid, but the one time I had it I wouldn’t put it in the top tier (e.g. 1983, 1989)

Please post! I’ve been sitting on a bottle of DP and would love a note