Kutch Is Out--the rest of the 13s

I’m on few lists anymore but I really dig the few that remain. Kutch is one of them and for me, I find Jamie’s pinot noirs to drink as some of the best made here now. These are great wines, using whole cluster goodness, great structure and low Abv. Really been looking forward to this release and offering one perspective, I listed my recent TNs for the wines.

• 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/20/2015)
    Really good again. Bright cherry and cranberry to start off, along with a distinct loamy note. As it gets some more air, in comes the strawberry and also some of the stem signature. Indeed a leaner style of pinot, but that’s why I drink Kutch, yet this wine and Jamie’s approach still show plenty of expression and balance, as this wine does. This bottle showed some tight edges to it and retained good minerality so I’d air the wine if you want to get a good picture of what is here. The Kutch pinots are pretty much in my Top tier now for CA, as Jamie has got it dialed in. Love these wines.
  • 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/29/2014)
    Bookclub–Kutch Pinots (tasted blind) (Maro–Laguna Beach, CA): Like with many of the Kutch 2013s, this is also 100% whole cluster and neutral wood. Upon opening, and even after a decant, driven by in part some of the cool temp I put on the wine, it is pretty wound up and tight. Mainly cherry, clove/mint, chewy and at least with an hour of air, showed the reddest fruit quality of all the Kutch 2013s. It’s also leaner than the rest of the lineup, showing as Steve Nordhoff called it, a watermelon quality, which was spot on. It too picked up some blue tones with more air and a warmer glass temp, although for me it remained tight. Will be a long ager.
  • 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/29/2014)
    Bookclub–Kutch Pinots (tasted blind) (Maro–Laguna Beach, CA): While 100% whole cluster, like the 2012 McDougall, it sees 50% new wood, which is the highest of the 2013s, as many saw no new wood. And the color of this thing, it’s dark and the 2012 is even darker. Syrah like in color, both of them. Rich, darker fruit, some vanilla, dark raspberry, mineral. As it warms up, stays brawny, dark a brooding wine for sure. Jamie indicated that this wine is still one year off from release and it needs it! Big boy here.
  • 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/29/2014)
    Bookclub–Kutch Pinots (tasted blind) (Maro–Laguna Beach, CA): A 50/50 blend of Campbell Ranch and Sonoma Stage vineyards, with 25% new wood. Solid stuff. Zesty and crunchy fruit, with black cherry and a smoky, gamy tone. Bright cherry core, with a loamy edge that has good length. As it takes on more air, it darkens up the fruit tone, yet it also becomes more rocky and tannic, with a meaty note, posessing that same zesty quality. The 100% whole cluster here, as opposed to say the 2011 that still shows that signature, I don’t get that signature here in the 2013. Retasting a day later, good fruit presence, and I get the stems today a bit more. They’re woven into the wine, given a bit of bitterness to go up against the raspberry and black cherry fruit. Still tight at this stage, good energy but the coil on it will need time to soften. I can sense the fruit and acid that lies under that structure, and with the 12.3% alc, should be a great drink in another year and onward.

Posted from CellarTracker

Who else is buying?

Order in. Some of each.

My order is in as well - totalling one case.

McDougall & Bohan for me.

I like what Jamie is doing. I understand he has some investors but the product still seems like his vision.

Don, I like it too. I mean, 39 bucks for the blend and 59 for the top end stuff. He has things priced super well, and the wines can stand in for me against my other favorites like Copain.

haven’t received a mail yet… is this a pre-release offer?

Thanks for the notes Frank. Just got my order in. Year after year, I think these are some of the best wines I buy. And well priced, yes!

In for 2 cases. Such great wine.

Mine came in my spam mail. It also wouldn’t link to the offer till I transferred it out of spam and into my in box.

dcornutt wrote:
I like what Jamie is doing. I understand he has some investors but the product still seems like his vision

Thanks for all the kind words and the support. So far, this has been our strongest release to date and I am beyond grateful.

As for investors, I have never had and never ever will have an investor. I started this journey in 2005 with no experience and produced 6 simple barrels of wine. Today, I produce 3,000 or about 130 barrels and hold myself in high esteem as being a producer who does all of my own work and has never taken a penny from anyone. While I have been approached, there is no interest today and never will be in the future. I live about as rich of a lifestyle as can be lived without actually being rich and am happy as hell. Keep the money… I just want the journey and fun! Wall street and some other producers taught me money doesn’t buy happiness. Like the song goes: Mo money, mo problems…

Jamie - I really appreciate your approach, both to making wine and doing business as a winemaker.

In for 4x McDougall and 2x Bohan. Those stole the show when we tasted with Jaime in May. The McDougall was the best pinot we tasted on the trip (visited about 8 different pinot producers).

In.

Gosh I love this! Thank you Jamie for being so freaking honest and transparent. That is something that is difficult to come by nowadays and as one of your customers, I greatly appreciate it, your wines and your exceptional customer service.

I have few problems.

I’ll be in for a case once home, I’m having surgery today instead of performing surgery. Nasal skin cancer, PITA.

Sorry to hear that Glenn, hope all goes well. At least a purchase of some Kutch should boost your spirits. champagne.gif

Only have space for a 6 pack, McDougall is obviously in, opinions on the Bohan vs Sonoma?

Thanks Jamie for the clarification. I like what you are doing. I appreciate your including me for the ride.