TN: 1982 Claret

1982 Chateau Monlot Capet - St Emilion Grand Cru

A pristine bottle, number 15344, that I fancied opening this evening. Popped and poured. Deepish red with a lighter red rim. Aromas of mature sweet red fruits with hints of oak barrel. The real magic is with the mouthfeel, which effortlessly displays is velvet smoothness. The mature red plum sweet fruit have a subtle acidity keeping everything fresh and moving along nicely. One sip quickly leads to another, and then a third. I have been fortunate to try a number of 1982 clarets, thanks in part to the generosity of friends. This bottle reinforces my experience that I have yet to drink a badly made or over the hill 1982 Claret.

I had a minor St. Emilion last week from 1982 that also was delicious.

Nice drinking Nicos. Echoing Howard, we had an 82 Canon this week which definitely surprised on the upside. While I agree with you on loving 82 claret, I’m also erring on the side of drinking, not holding.

With the little wines I think you are right Brad - especially the Right Bank Petite Chateaux -

Thanks chaps.

Holding… still? 33 years now, it’s probably ready to drink.

We agree. I have a fair amount of 82 BDX, and they are all in drinking rotation. You’d be surprised the number of folks who still think 82’s are on the upswing, particularly the first growths. I drank virtually all my first growths, and don’t regret it. Generally I liked them better early on than today.

Especially Cheval among the firsts and Pichon Lalande among the ‘lesser’ growths.

Hope all is well, Brad.

I am lining up one or two other 1982 clarets to drink over the next 12 months.