TN: 2012 Briceland Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Humboldt County Ishi Pishi Ranch

I’m reticent to post tasting notes on Andrew’s wines because, since visiting him a couple years back, I consider him a friend. However, I know that a number of people purchased these wines on BerserkerDay, so I figured a note was in order.

On pop and pour the black cherry flavor was dominant, but with more air, the fruit grew darker – blackberry fruit with graphite, black licorice, tobacco and a pleasant green herbal streak (sage) in supporting roles. Old world in style, no sweetness and the oak has already integrated. Medium bodied with medium+ acid and fuzzy tannins. Man am I getting a lot of licorice now. The structure suggests that the wine should last for at least a decade. While this wine is drinkable now, it should improve with some sleep. I’m really taken with this wine. Very good stuff.

Only 12.7% alcohol in a California Cab and made from organic grapes. I’m so digging this. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Corey, that sounds awesome. I’d love to try it.

I have one more bottle. When we eventually get together, I’ll gladly bring in north.

FWIW, I truly didn’t know what to expect when I opened the wine. I love nice surprises.

Nice surprise pretty consistently summarizes my experiences with Briceland. Thanks for the note on the CS, I think. I need to drink through a lot more of Andrew’s wines to puck my favorites to make room for some Bordeaux varieties the next time around. The problem is that, so far, I haven’t had anything I’m willing to pass on.

Yeah, need to make it happen.

For you:

[cheers.gif]

Mike, Having read several of your notes, I think our palates are more or less aligned so I think this is one to seek out (something like 67 cases made). The grapes come from Ishi Pishi Ranch and I know John Cabot also sourced grapes from there (and perhaps still does?). I’ve been pretty impressed with both Briceland and Cabot wines from that property and as I mentioned upthread, the 12.7% alcohol in the CS really tickled me. I’m planning to seek out more Bdx varieties from Ishi Pishi.

Yes Corey, my 2009 Confluence was almost entirely sourced from the Ishi Pishi Ranch. The Pierce family are very talented growers doing a great job with BDX varieties.

Corey,

Thanks for posting your note. I’m glad you enjoyed it. That site/farmer combo is fantastic. The guy, Joaquin Pierce, organically farms at least 12 varieties on a 7 acre plot 90% by himself. His family is a pretty big producer of locally farmed organic produce called Pierce Family Farms. He calls the vineyard it Ishi Pishi Ranch because the Pierce name is already in use and the site is on Ishi Pishi Road above Orleans in the NE corner of Humboldt. I don’t know how he brings me ripe enough fruit with Brix as low as he does. IIRC, that Cab came in at just under 21, and I complained until I tested the TA/pH and saw how well the color extracted.

Mike, I appreciate you taking the time to jump in and value your kind words and continued support.

Alex, Thanks for your interest. Should I PM you with my list?

Perhaps I should try to pull it together to post an offer on Commerce Corner since I do have that Berserker Business status. I guess I need to put out an email to people who have purchased before as well.

Crap. Harvest is about to start too. pileon

Very intriguing…

I’ve sent Andrew an order that is mostly Ishi Pishi based on your recommendation. I appreciate all of your notes on Briceland in CT, as I agree that our palates do align, so the data points on wines I have but haven’t yet opened are useful.

I had the pleasure of meeting with Andrew while heading down this coast this past summer and have to agree with Corey. We tasted through the awesome lineup. I am typically pretty sensitive to the green pepper notes in many cabs but this showed nothing of the sort! I was truly astonished by this sub 13% alcohol Cabernet. Really boggled my feeble mind! Really talented guy and love the wines we walked away with… Speaking of which, is it 5 o’clock yet???

Usually when people say “have to agree with Corey” it is followed by “being labeled a freaking idiot”.

I’m glad you enjoyed the wine Shaner. The low alcohol level threw me for a loop too.

Hi Shaner.

Thanks for jumping in on this thread. I have the 2013 Mendocino Syrah that you tasted bottled now. I guess I should send you an email with my list. It still impresses me that the Cab shows very little veg. at that alc. Nice herbal and floral aspects though.