Money!!!!! TN:2012 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords

god is this good. I have heard some chatter about this bottling over the years and I finally picked up some in 2013, then forgot about it. It’s warm tonight in the OC, we have some Thai food coming so this seemed like a good fit. Man, what a smoker of a wine for less than $20. I have to find more of this, or at least begin getting these regularly, as there cannot be enough of this kind of white value wines in my cellar. Bravo! Thanks for reading.

• 2012 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (8/4/2015)
    god, this is so good on a warm evening. I got this really cold and then hit the glass with a nice pour and let it warm a bit. The river rock/slate quality in the texture and palate with this wine is really delicious. Zesty citrus fruit and peel notes, pineapple, tangy melon. How in the hell can a wine this refreshing be $17? I bought these back in 2013 and this is the first one I drank, should have been something I bought 6-8 bottles, not 2! Sickly good and everything I want in a white wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note, and fully concur with your views. Very good value in Muscadet across Pepiere, Luneau-Papin, Landron, et al.

Great note Frank. Glad you enjoyed the wine. This one is good year in and year out. Always a no brainer purchase for me.

Frank, do you know where this fits into the portfolio in comparison with the Granite de Clisson? That’s the wine I’ve bought a few of in the past, haven’t had the Briords yet. Last one I drank I described as “wine flavored mountain stream water”.

“Money?” Are you paging?

This discussion addresses some of the different Pepiere cuvees- Tell me about Pepiere Muscadet - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I totally agree, Frank, and it’s my favorite young Muscadet ever. I always like the Briords, but the '12 was out of this world. After my first sip I bought two cases. Unfortunately, I’m blowing through them way too fast, and they sold out nationally quickly.

IMO it was the best vintage since the 2004.

Try and save at least one bottle for 15+years.

I drink the Briords young and save the Granit but I should probably age both.

At $17 drink, hold, whatever. It’s a wonderful wine. There aren’t a lot of undiscovered Pepieres, but there are a number of other excellent Muscadet QPRs too.

Pretty sure my buddy Bob Hughes has been buying the Briords in something like 1 - 5 case quantities, for a decade…for him and his wife.

RT

Had my first bottle of this a couple months back, and it really turned me on to Muscadet.

There’s a glass left in the bottle for tonight, yummy.

• 2012 Domaine de la Pépière (Marc Ollivier) Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (8/5/2015)
    I wish Frank had purchased more of this wine! Blind I thought Chenin because of the acid and tangy citrus fruit. MdB? Never would have guessed since I’ve only tasted a few. Nose? Nice so jumped right into tasting it while the four of us were chatting away. 10 seconds into it I turned and said “hey, this is really good.” Another 10 seconds later I said “uh, this wine is excellent.” Superb balance of tart fruit and acid, clean, refreshing, and throughly enjoying. Oh, and it’s $17? That’s stupid.

Posted from CellarTracker

Been a case buy every year since 07. If you ever have a chance to visit and taste with Mark you’ll see why. Can drink them young or old and never heard of a premoxed muscadet.

Yeah, this stuff is magical. So nice you found a hidden stash that you forgot about. The '12s disappeared from the market very quickly as it was a short vintage and I went through my stash way too quickly as this wine has the ability to age well. I drank my last '95 at about age fifteen and it was still young, fresh and spectacular.

I buy four to six every year, but after trying the '12, I went back and bought 18 more.

Drinks well young, but In my experience, this stuff also ages quite well.

I’m pretty sure I warned you back in 2013 that this was good when it came to Envoyer, so I’ll be happy to share some as it ages. One of the few few wines I’ve ever bought a case of straightaway.

…and if there’s a better value in the wine world, I haven’t found it!

It almost feels like stealing from Marc to buy this wine at this price.

If you like the flavors in aged Muscadet, I’ve had wines back to the 70s with Marc. Personally, I like them zesty and vibrant; however, a few vintages (1996, 2002) have stayed in that zone for a long time and the 1996 may end up being immortal.

Less rich than Clisson, but also entirely from old vines on granite. Zesty, racy and intense.

And it’s allocated now. How crazy is that?