icy, melty wine fridge

Hi,

My 40ish btl wine fridge was left open (I think? Or it’s broken) so all the bottles are wet inside and there’s ice in there because of some kind of science. At most, it’s been like that for two days… Do you guys think they’re salvageable or should I look to drink them ASAP? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Unplug the fridge and put it in the garage so it can defrost. Tilt the fridge so the water runs out. I have no advice for the bottles except to look them over checking labels for damage; if they are falling off, number them with a grease pencil and note the producer, vintage, etc. Good luck, report back with an update.

Thanks, Rick. I just finished emptying it and doing what I can to dry the bottles. Quite a few labels are soaked but none seem to be falling off at the moment.

Ice on a specific area at the back can indicate a leak (which is generally fatal), so check the fridge is still cooling properly before putting the bottles back in. But the wet bottles more likely indicates the door was left open. Bottles should be fine, assuming it wasn’t 100F ambient for two days. Good luck!

Think the big Q is how hot did it get when the fridge was bunged up. If just two days in the 70’s or 80’s, s/b no problems. If 90’s to 100’s, maybe some Q’s. I would then check for corks pushing out.

Ummmm…two days or so you are fine. More days would be fine. No matter the temp outside. Wine is more durable than many seem to think.

And if they got a little chilly from the ice, even less concern.