Corton Charlemagne and Black Bean Sauce Scallops?

Anyone have an opinion on whether Corton Charlemagne will pair well with an Asian steamed Scallop with Black Bean sauce?

Enquiring Ted’s want to know :slight_smile:

Backup choice - Champagne

I’d go with Champagne. Or Riesling. I’m sure that sauce has a tremendous amount of umami, which combined with the sweet-tasting proteins in the scallops, could make that Corton-Charlemagne taste too oaky and bitter.

Save your Corton Charlie for Lobster with Ginger Sauce.

It seems like a less than optimal pairing, for the reasons Doug said. I’m sure it would work reasonably well enough, but it’s not going to be one of those great synergistic pairings.

In addition to Champagne, riesling or gewurtz, you could probably also go with Red Burgundy or other pinot with that dish, or a Spanish red, unless it’s a particularly spicy black bean sauce, in which case maybe it’s not such a good match.

And now, I’ll step aside for the customary ten “just drink beer” replies. [cheers.gif]

White Burgundy is a fantastic match for simply sautéed scallops. Personally I wouldn’t pair it with black bean sauce.

Gentlemen and Lady,
Thanks for the advice!

Did 2 Corton Charlemagne’s with an Asian style ginger shrimp on the grill:
02 Vincent Girardin - fantastic and singing. No hurry, but ready to go
01 Henri Boillot - pre-ox but drinkable. I told people to pour it out and rinse their glasses but they wouldn’t. Extremely good but not proper.
02 Henri Boillot - CC of the night! I’d love to try again in 5 years.

Bubbles with the Scallops in Black Bean Sauce
Thierry Triolet Brut NV - simply lovely
02 Pol Roger - great and will be much better with time

Much better than doing CC throughout !

Sounds like a wonderful dinner. Good wine, good food and good company enjoying the meal.