TN: White Burgundy Blind: Dead or Alive?

WHITE BURGUNDY BLIND: DEAD OR ALIVE? - Home of Chef Andrew Plummer, East Greenbush, NY (7/16/2015)

My regular Albany-area group got together to taste an assortment of white Burgundy. The overriding factor was premox (premature oxidation). In fact, it wasn’t hard to predict which wines would be good or bad based on their color. In general, the light yellow colored wines were excellent, while the amber colored wines were dead.

For pix and more commentary, see this post on my website:
http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2015-07-16_WCC_White-Burgs_Andy/

Flight 1: Meursault
Octopus and Diver Scallops with Heirloom Tomato, Meyer Lemon, Fresh Herbs, and Tsume (an eel reduction sauce often served with eel sushi).

Flight 2: Puligny and Chassagne
Lobster Consommé: Poached Lobster, Celeriac Custard, and Aromatic Vegetables.

Flight 3: Chablis
Wild Mushroom Risotto with Locally Foraged Golden Chanterelles, Black Trumpets, Snow White Summer Oysters, and Parmigiano.

Flight 4: Corton-Charlemagne
Pan Roasted East Coast Halibut Encrusted with Shallots and Toasted Corn with Red Quinoa, Sweet Pea Puree, and Corn Creme.

When they’re good, they’re very good. When they’re bad, they’re very bad. Three of the top four wines were in the Chablis flight.

Posted from CellarTracker

I think it’s pretty clear that 07s and 08s are now in the danger zone on premox. I haven’t heard of many 09s and 10s yet, but if they aren’t yet, it’s only a matter of time, it’s basically just a rolling window.

I should probably plan to drink my 08s and 09s this year; the potential development over the next few years, if it’s even any meaningful amount, isn’t worth ending up dumping the bottle down the drain.

Thanks for the notes. The consistently poor showing of the older Remoissenet whites surprises me, though, as oxidation has not been a problem with bottles I’ve had of any of the wines in your tasting, and the last 1989 Montrachet I tried a couple of years ago from magnum was spectacular and youthful. I wonder if the bottles at your tasting may have been cooked somewhere along the way, or if I’ve just been fortunate.

i don’t even need to open an 08 matrot to know it’s gonna be oxidized. :smiley:

Or a 2013 [wow.gif]

I was expecting a more creative thread title from Ken. How about “White Burgundy Blind: Will it float?”

Matrot is the poster child for premox. You lucked out w BdM and anything Gagnard.

By coincidence, I had the 2009 Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard Montrachet a couple of weeks before and it was very similar to the 2009 Blain-Gagnard Bâtard-Montrachet. Both very young and seemingly with a lot of potential. Are these wineries related?

related. Google “Blain-Gagnard and Fontaine-Gagnard” and Underground Wine Letter has a nice history.

And people say Barolo is complicated. :wink:

I don’t get that one. [scratch.gif]

“Will it float” was a bit they did on David Letterman, where they would throw something/anything into a big tub of water and predict if it would float or not. Best part was the attractive girl in skimpy clothes with an electric grinder she would use to shoot sparks off her outfit. While reading your thread I just pictured doing an “is it premoxed” tasting under the same conditions [wow.gif]

At our monthly dinner last night, the X-Pensive Winos drank a foursome of '08 Fevre Grand Crus that included Bougros, Bougros Cote de Bouguerots, Preuses, and Clos. The Clos was horribly oxidized. The other three were sound and delicious.