Wineries with great Sauv Blanc in Napa area?

Hi all,

FIgure i’d poll the collective board since I have pretty limited knowledge on it. My friend is visiting napa next friday and is asking me for recs on wineries that do a really good sauv blanc & cab. Off the top of my head I thought Alpha Omega (which they went with me last time) and Arkenstone (who said they don’t have any availability to taste with her).

Anyone have any recs that I can guide her too? Not opposed to paying for a tasting, but would appreciate something a little more in depth than a tasting room.

Thanks all!

I would say Spottswoode and Peter Michael.

CellarTracker lists these for Napa Sauv Blanc:

I’ve had some very good one’s from Cliff Lede. I’ve also had a few good ones from Honig and St Supery, though not enough to know if they are always good producers. All 3 also make a Cabernet.

Araujo and Realm are good producers.

Spottswoode 5.4% Bottles (4,575)
Cakebread Cellars 4.5% Bottles (3,834)
Duckhorn Vineyards 4.2% Bottles (3,548)
Araujo Estate 3.9% Bottles (3,304)
Honig 3.3% Bottles (2,822)
Cliff Lede 2.5% Bottles (2,103)
Lail Vineyards 2.5% Bottles (2,099)
St. Supéry 2.4% Bottles (2,041)
Groth 2.1% Bottles (1,821)
Rudd 1.9% Bottles (1,636)
Vineyard 29 1.9% Bottles (1,588)
Cade 1.8% Bottles (1,554)
Crocker & Starr 1.6% Bottles (1,373)
Joseph Phelps 1.4% Bottles (1,226)
Alpha Omega 1.4% Bottles (1,216)
Twomey 1.4% Bottles (1,211)
Frog’s Leap 1.4% Bottles (1,163)
Larkmead Vineyards 1.3% Bottles (1,139)
Round Pond Estate 1.2% Bottles (1,054)
Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars 1.2% Bottles (1,041)
Provenance Vineyards 1.2% Bottles (1,032)
Hall 1.1% Bottles (956)
Peju Province Winery 1.0% Bottles (874)
Realm Cellars 1.0% Bottles (828)
Robert Mondavi Winery 0.9% Bottles (756)

I enjoyed my time at Honig last year. It was beautiful, approachable, and next to many other famous napa wineries.

Their cab is fantastic and their save blanc is a regular buy for me at about 12 bucks :slight_smile:

I would add Keever to that list. Also, while not in the area, Paul Lato’s SB was off the hook last week.

Matthiasson’s white blend is mostly SB & they make really nice Cabernet. They would need an appt though.

Massican is making one of the best domestic SB’s period, but have no reds and no idea what his setup is for seeing people.

Mayacamas is really good on both SB & Cab.

Bevan Dry Stack SB

Easily as good as Peter Michael at about 1/2 the price.

Plus it’s unfiltered which is a cool touch.

Crocker & Starr

Cliff Lede and Duckhorn make good ones, albeit in a bit riper, rounder, more crowd-pleasing style. Both are nice places to visit, as well, in sort of a conventional way.

Broman.

1 Like

Charlie,
Agree with AO, Crocker & Starr makes an excellent SB.

Love the Quivet SB.

JF

Add altamura to the list as very good SB and good site visit.
From the list above, I would say:
delete Alpha Omega due to terrible customer service (Unless your friends really enjoy mediocre service)
duckhorn is nice but can get crowded (I would say buy their SB and not visit the winery)
mondavi does have very nice SB, and very nice site experience (Even though they are large)
becklyn has superurb SB, imho (but no real site visits, iirc)

Cliff Lede

Arkenstone is my favourite by a wide margin.

Massican is a great wine for the money, and I’m also a fan of Herb Lamb’s SB.

-paul

Charlie, I really like the Hartwell Sauvignon Blanc. They also make a really nice cab.

http://hartwellvineyards.com/

Don’t know what the above dude’s beef is with AO, but I’ve enjoyed the exact opposite of bad service every time I’ve been there. And the SB is nice.
Also, Lail, Scholium Project.

2nd Arkenstone. Great wine, place and people. Have enjoyed Ashe/Entre Nous…but don’t think they take visitors. Mike Smith makes some great ones for himself and clients (like his price points as well).