3 TNs, 4 Years and One Wine: 2009 Copain Brosseau Chardonnay

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Frank Murray III » July 26th, 2015, 11:17 am

The progression below started back in 2011 and over the course of three different bottles, what I find in my written perceptions over time is that this wine has improved a great deal. The bottle I am enjoying this weekend is the best showing of all three experiences and why this vineyard, for both Syrah and Chardonnay, is really excellent. Thanks for reading.
  • 2009 Copain Chardonnay Brosseau Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (7/25/2015)
    The last 2 bottles of this have been used for wine dinners and so it felt like time to review and enjoy it singly. Opened an hour ago, just let it chill down a bit and poured off a small glass on what is a warm OC evening. The last 2 bottles I have mentioned this wine has not stood up as well as I wanted but this bottle, perhaps enjoyed singly, is showing far better. Has the racier core of apple and slate that I would expect with this vineyard, showing much livelier and not heavy or one dimensional as it did last summer. This is a lot about apple, green and yellow, plus lime. Has a little or the orange oil note, and then a finish of slate and green apple skin. This is showing pretty driven and leaner styled.....retasted a day later to check my perceptions. Remains really beautiful, with an added note of pear inside the fruit profile and a little bit less slate and cut. Actually, with the pear and less chisel, this drinks more complete today so the air in my view helped the wine to round out. This is in a great spot and yet with the acidity and slate, I don't see this fading so additional age is going to be fine. Excellent.
  • 2009 Copain Chardonnay Brosseau Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (6/14/2014)
    Chardonnay Blind--CA and France @ Tom Moore's Place (Tom's House): This didn't wow like I hoped it might. Tasted blind, Smoky, nutty nose. Lemon, fleshy, orange oil. Honeyed with moderate intensity.
  • 2009 Copain Chardonnay Brosseau Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (6/11/2011)
    Burg Dinner At The Murray Casa (The Murray's#: Uh boy. I pulled this wine several minutes before the flight was to be poured so in deference to this wine, it did not get the air of the other wines in the flight (Latour Charlie, Jadot Demoiselles and Leflaive Pucelles). I poured it anyway and honestly, while this Copain is good, and 5-10 years younger than the rest of the white burgs, it was not a fair fight. It came off in contrast to these wines fat and more forward. In hindsight, I should have left the wine out as I put this thing in with the lions but I had good intention.
Posted from CellarTracker
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence Blanc de Blancs Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge SC PN
2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Platt SC PN
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#2 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » July 26th, 2015, 2:42 pm

Frank - thank you for sharing these (and really, all your) notes. Like you, I really enjoy following a wine over time, so it's fun to read your impressions and nod my head when after 4 years, you are rewarded for your patience!

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Frank Murray III » July 26th, 2015, 6:37 pm

It's nice, as I have one bottle left and I'm going to let it sit for a while and age out some more. Thanks for the reply too. I'm glad you enjoy the TNs too, Sherri. I really believe strongly and sincerely in the community creating a tasting perspective and sharing notes--it's really important to me, for furthering this great hobby and the relationships it fosters.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#4 Post by Merrill Lindquist » July 26th, 2015, 6:56 pm

Frank - thanks for the notes. I do love these Brosseaus, although I think the 2009 predates my interest in them. Not sure. I also love Laureles Grade - 2011 right now in glass. Unfortunately, my introduction to wine as a hobby coincided with my entrance into the wine-business, so when I consume, it really is for pleasure.

I wish the tastings over at Copain were more intimate, as they used to be. The last two I attended (with appointments and with longtime members) were not especially special. We were treated well, but I recall in earlier days walking in casually, perhaps even happening on some wine friends, and leaving with a case or two.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Frank Murray III » December 29th, 2016, 7:07 pm

7th bottle of this wine and unless I find more, this bottle will be the last and best. This is such a treat to drink--weightless, slatey, with a terrific fruit profile. At 7 years old, this is drinking excellent and based on this bottle, the wine could go for longer.
  • 2009 Copain Chardonnay Brosseau Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (12/29/2016)
    My final bottle of what was the inaugural vintage for Copain chard. I opened this last night, brought home the final glass to retaste the following day. I'm pretty pleased with this wine and have to say, I may have misjudged the previous bottle this past summer. I thought the wine was peaking but in drinking this wine now, I was wrong. No color fade here, and still plenty of slatey structure, with lime rind, green banana, green apple and light fennel. This is drinking super, with energy, flavor and a real nice medium weight. If this bottle is representative for how the wine is progressing, I am stoked. Too bad this is my last one!

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 3 TNs, 4 Years and One Wine: 2009 Copain Brosseau Chardonnay

#6 Post by Frank Murray III » May 15th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Hell, since I started this thread back in 2015, and I have chronicled this wine in this format, let's keep it going. FWIW, I have always thought that the wines Wells made while at Copain from Brosseau were some of his best. This 2009 was his first Chard and it's a dandy, still going strong in a style that I like. Thanks for reading.
  • 2009 Copain Chardonnay Brosseau Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Chalone (5/15/2019)
    So few notes on this wine the past few years. Heck, my last TN was a while back too, back at the winery in the summer of 2017. So, to revisit this wine is fun. Thanks to Leslie Fisher for sharing a bottle over dinner last night, leaving enough for me retaste today, and gifting me a second one for the cellar. Amazing generosity. Using the leftovers from the bottle last night, the wine today is my glass at an ideal temp. Of note, no oxidizing or aged tones here at all, as it's aging nicely, as much as the bottle we had in 2017. The is medium weighted with no heaviness, balanced by apple, pear, and a good spine of citrus and fennel that cuts into the finish. This is approaching a decade now, from a vintage that I have often thought of as riper and fleshier but in looking at this wine, it's presenting with good length, plenty of energy. Based on the bottle Leslie gifted me, I will let it age another 2-3 years and then enjoy it.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

S. Rash

Re: 3 TNs, 4 Years and One Wine: 2009 Copain Brosseau Chardonnay

#7 Post by S. Rash » May 15th, 2019, 8:32 pm

I love your tasting notes describing how this wine has developed with age! I wish more people did this. I only started buying multiple bottles of the same wine 6 months ago. Hopefully I’ll be able to contribute in the same manner in decades to come.
S t e p h e n

Return to “Wine Talk”