Which Ah So Should I Buy?

I normally use a double-hinged waiter’s key to open bottles, but occasionally I need something to help with older bottles. Is there a significant difference between “ah-so” openers? Any recommendations?

A quick aside, but does the name “ah so” strike anyone else as outdated and perhaps a bit racist?

I bought a $6 one at a wine shop and it has been great- I wouldn’t splurge on an expensive one. As long as you have the technique down, a cheap one should be more than satisfactory.

As for the name, it doesn’t bother me in the least, the same as o solo mio doesn’t offend or seem outdated.

Nothing better than a Durand. I open a lot of older wines and this is a great tool for that.

I don’t really open many wines that are THAT old. I need a tool for those off cases when a cork is crumbly. Sadly, no 40 year old wines in my cellar (though I have exactly one that’s 38).

Ask A. So, your Chicago buddy!

Now like any good lawyer, I must make a disclaimer in small print.: I have no idea what nationality Adrian is, nor do I care. As a Cuban-American, I love everyone (well, except for a couple of politicians of this nationality). I also have no idea what Corey is referring to with his comment, just a suspicion. So in a mere play on words, and not to be offensive, derogatory, discriminatory or another other words ending in “tory,” I offer this disclaimer absolving myself of any responsibility, criticism, outrage or hatred. I just wanna be loved.

Ok, that’s pretty funny.

PS
Buy the watch.

If you buy a cheap one just be sure the arms aren’t too thick, and that it has a rivet or screw in the handle to hold the arms. Some really cheap ones are just crimped and they will come apart relatively quickly.

The best is Monopol and it’s worth it IMO. It’s expensive compared to the ones you’ll see in the check-out lane at Bevmo, but in the big picture, not so much.

You mean you didn’t grab Todd’s when you were raiding the Boise compound? Epic fail. [swearing.gif]

I have an OK one on hand just in case, but unless you’re averaging 20+ years on your bottles you shouldn’t go too nice. Just make sure it feels solid in your hand. I’ve seen $50+ waiter’s keys that are useless, where the properly balanced ones can get 99% of the corks I’ve encountered out, the other 1% going to the Ah So.

I bought a Monopol off amazon. So far, so good after a year or so.

I have used a cheap one for a decade. No issues. Always been told name comes from the neophyte’s “ah, so that’s how it works” commentary.

Splurge on the Durand, can use it as an Ah So or with the cork screw.

I have this one too. Many years of use. No issues.

Gotta go w/ Larry’s rec on this one. The Monopole (German made) is about $24 and a very good investment. The two tangs are of high-tensile steel and are
about the thinnest ones around, and longest. That’s important if the cork is loosely in the btl so it doesn’t get pushed into the wine. I’ve got a cheaper version of Ah-So
that has thicker tangs that works just fine newly bottled wines, but fails badly on older btls.
Tom

Ah, but the skill of handling the tool is still tricky.

We had a gentleman come in to the wine shop I worked at with a 3L of Cakebread (yes, Cakebread) which was over 18 years old. The fellow had broken part of the cork off, and needed help opening the bottle, while salvaging the remaining cork. The Ah So didn’t work, so I had to use a teflon coated waiter’s key…very gently. The cork did come out, but some debris was left in the bottle. We sent him home with a few unbleached coffee filters and wished him luck.

Monopol. I’ve had mine for 20 years. No issues.

Thank god this is one of the few things in wine where the correct answer is “the cheapest one you can find”.

Monopol.

Monopole $19.90 on Amazon with free shipping.

Well looks like the majority has spoken in favor of Monopol, which is what I was laning toward anyway.

Thanks all.

I love the Durand. Just last night it saved a 1998 Prum Auslese. It has saved so many wines of mine and others in my wine tasting group that it is probably the best buy of any wine gadget I have ever purchased.