Domaine Fabien Coche……what's the story here?

Picked up some 1990 Domaine Fabien Coche Meursault Charmes….and am wondering about the connection, if any, to Coche Dury? There looks to be plenty of producers out there with similar names……Domaine Fabien Coche, Fabien Coche-Bouillot, Coche-Bizouard, Alain Coche-Bizouard……who’s who? Wine any good?

Thanks! [cheers.gif]

Well the west coast hip hop boys drink it (Brad & Jonathan). Doesn’t that say enough?

The following quote was contained in a Zachy’s offering of Fabien Coche Batard last year:

“Domaine Coche-Bizourd is in its third-generation and is currently being run by Fabien Coche. Some of the land holdings by Domaine Coche-Bizourd was passed down from Jean-Francois Coche and today the Domaine works 16 hectares comprising 50 parcels in Meursault village and 1er Cru, Puligny Montrachet 1er cru, Pommard and Saint Aubin 1er Cru. The winemaking style is to use minimum new oak – never more than 15%.”

I wish I could find an importer here in the Bay Area. Tasted at the domaine in 2010. A highlight of my visit. Very good wines, across the board.

buzz got tricked. :d

Why tricked?

Possibly because Fabien Coche only started helping his father Alain Coche of Domaine Coche-Bizouard in 1991, taking over around 1998? Also Fabiens wine is sold under Fabien Coche-Bouillot, which is his wifes maiden name as is common in Burgundy.

Hip Hop wines aside :slight_smile: - I was not impressed at all. Fun to sip on but not something I’d buy… DRC Montrachet = different story ;p.

Man…now I have buyers remorse! :frowning:

Still no one has stated the connection with Coche Dury?

Saw this today in an email from First Bottle…

“Domaine Fabien Coche was formerly known as Domaine Coche-Bizouard, and until 1940, indeed was one in the same as present-day Coche-Dury. Fabien’s cousin Raphael runs the infamous Coche Dury today. Fabien took over his family domaine from his father in 2005 and renamed the estate Domaine Fabien Coche. If that was not enough, Leon Coche (Fabien’s great grandfather) who started the winery in the 1920s, also had a granddaughter, Genevieve, who married Guy Roulot, so you can see how this family tree is full of Burgundian superstars.”

nobody buys the paintings done by the guy who also used Picasso’s paints.

Paying Greg Maddux prices for Mike Maddux performance would be a significant error.

Why do Rouget and Meo sell for so much then?!? :sob::sob:

Winemaking ability is not hereditary.

I think the ones I have tasted are fairly/appropriately priced for what they are.

FWIW, I really enjoyed my bottle of 1990 Pommard VV from Fabien Coche. especially one night #2 the aromatics were fantastic.

I was wondering about this as well. 2016 Fabien Coche Bourgogne Blanc for $29.95/bottle (six bottle purchase).

Late release Batard’s 85-92 raised in a very good way a lot of eyebrows at the Becky Wasserman Le Sorbet 35 year celebration in Burgundy which i was very happy to be invited to and to which I attended. My table was Chambolle and in attendance to celebrate were very important growers/producers and winemakers. I brought those wines with me to share and gauge these and other’s reactions. 85 88 89 90 and 92.

About 2 years post the event I was able to purchase 85 and 89 Meursault Goutte D’or and 92 Puligny Folatieresm along with all the Batards.
Nearly every bottle has brought great pleasure, and I wish I had purchased more. No idea where the Batard or Puligny was sourced from but Alain Coche Meursault’s were made in a very old, traditional sturdy style of white burgundy required 20 plus years to unfurl ( very Jobard like).
I’ve had some contact with Fabien regarding the 78 Batard which is a whole other story but all in all these were great purchases at terrific prices.

I have heard some very good reports regarding Fabien’s current releases.

I’ve had good luck with many older Fabien Coche, Coche-Bizouard and Coche-Bouillot. I just ordered a six pack of the '85 Coche-Bizouard Meursault Goutte d’Or.

Cheers,
Warren

+1
And I was tempted by that offer this morning as well. Some interesting nuggets in there. But I passed. Holding out on no purchases in October.