TN: 2010 Saxum Broken Stones (USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles)

• 2010 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (7/18/2015)
    Drank over 2 days. Opened, decanted, drank half the bottle, and decanted the rest into an empty half bottle for day 2. A little disjointed on day 1- The notes are from the second day.

Deep, glass-coating, garnet-black color. Lots of secondary depth on the nose- led by cherry and cassis fruit, with dried lavender, spice and melted stone. Good depth but somewhat reserved. High intensity and concentration on the palate, complimented by very fine precision, balance and finesse. Showing a deep depth of fruit- plum, blackberry and red apple skin, along with mocha & cedar, rocky minerality, spring flowers and clove. Nicely balanced medium acidity emerged on day 2, along with big round polished tannins throughout. Finishes big with lots of depth of black fruit, flowers and minerality. A compelling wine, but needs 4-5 years before getting anywhere near a drinking window. If you’re opening now- I’d open, decant, return to bottle 24 hours in advance of drinking. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Your notes run similar to mine when I had a bottle of this back in November of last year:

A very dark purple in the glass, this had a nice nose of black cherry and white pepper. Mouthfeel was velvety. I was surprised at the complexity of the flavors of dark berries and pepper - - - this still has some tannins in the mix (in a very good way) which will keep this one developing well for another 5-7 years easily. Finish was a solid 30 seconds. The second glass that I had about 45 minutes later was, predictably, better. The initial hit of power and complexity had been smoothed out, and additional notes of cherry cola came forth.

Thx for the notes. Will let 'em rest.

Busted one out tonight. When Saxum hits a HR it’s like Giancarlo, get the tape measure out.

Justin, bro, one L bottles. Please dude.

Thanks for the note… I have a 2010 James Berry that I would like to pop soon (never had Saxum). Based on your note, should I wait with this for a while and look for another bottle/vintage that’s more approachable?

Any idea when the 14 might be ready?

lolz. 20 years?
im thinking of opening 12’s next year. probably won’t. i had the 2010 heart stone last week, i agree with OP and I’d say wait another year on the 10’s overall.

Ready to rock. Have a 1/2 glass (or a whole) upon uncorking and drop the remainder in the decanter. Enjoy the next two hours immensely.