Danny Meyer's take on wine

I have long admired Danny Meyer. His philosophy of making the customer experience extraordinary is not just lip service, but can be felt every time you walk into one of his restaurants. He is also someone who loves wine, is knowledgeable and understands it, and there is a wonderful lack of pretentiousness in the way he enjoys it. Thought this was interesting.
http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/2015/07/06/danny-meyer-wine-rules

his belief on the shelf (fridge shelf) of open wine is beyond laughable.

I’ve never had anything but great wine service (or any other kind of service, for that matter) at his restaurants. His people always seem to just do the right thing without any fuss.

I just got my Pungo. Sounds like a great idea. I think I’ll try it.

A week is pushing it, but I have had younger wines in the fridge for a few days, and they don’t seem to have deteriorated much. Older wines are a different story.

I think he nailed the timeframes. Timely as last night I realized I left a 2004 Palmer in for more than a week as I hadn’t finished it before I left town. Was very intrigued and an concerned but alas, it held up perfectly fine. A dark, cold fridge is an asset- especially for whites.

Nice to read a different take on wine and food, but at the risk of sounding fussy, I don’t think I’d like one of those whites that has been in the refrigerator for a month…

Personally I’ve always felt that wine deteriorates quickly once opened if any is removed, even in the fridge, but others whose palates I trust disagree. When I read that I winced a bit though. It just wouldn’t work for me.

Danny has a wonderful book that talks about his career and thoughts on hospitality. A great read and even though I’ve never been to one of his restaurants it turned me into a huge fan.

Setting the Table

What’s the most extraordinary wine you’ve ever tasted in your 30 years as a restaurateur?
I think it’s dangerous to expect wines to be extraordinary! The best bottle you’ve ever had in your life could be a simple Pigato, if you’re sitting in the right spot on the coast of Liguria, eating the right fried little fish, with the right person. That could be the perfect wine, because context is just as important as anything.

Ugh. I hate this answer. Context only goes so far when we’re talking about the quality of wines. I spent an enjoyable evening with my girlfriend yesterday seeing Inside Out (thanks Charlie) and then dining outdoors at a beautiful Italian restaurant. The food, atmosphere, and company were great but the wine I ordered sucked. Sure, it only cost $20, but it still tasted like crap.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

That’s the guy from ‘Despicable Me’, what did you expect?

Stemware looks like shit too. Couldn’t have helped.

he’s one of my idols. his recent talk at the welcome conference entitled the irrelevancy of being right is a gem. must read/watch for anyone in hospitality.

I do agree with his point about context, and love his Maialino restaurant, but can’t ever imagine keeping a white in the fridge for four weeks - not that there would ever be a chance of that happening in my house :wink:

I love going to his places. Somehow they have notated on my customer profile that I often bring wine, so on my birthdays I would occasionally get a post card saying come on in, and corkage fees are waived.

The champagne producer he mentions is the same one I had with my wife on our first date, at his old stalwart, Union Square Cafe.

Great article, thanks for sharing.

PS: which reminds me, what do people generally consider to be his best NYC restaurant now? I’ve moved away and lost touch with what he is doing there.

interesting question…he’s pivoted into high-end casual the last few years. probably a toss up between the modern and maialino.