Are there any good wine shops in Vancouver?

I have a couple of days there early next week …

Thanks in advance.

Howard

Canada?
Marquis is pretty good

But prices in Canada is obscene compared to the U.S. So unless you are buying Canadian wine, not much point?

Mark, the Marquis website looks pretty good, thanks for that. As you say, however, the prices are very high (even to a NZer)!

Cheers, Howard

You still not home?

Wayne, I’m in Reykjavik ATM but home this week.

Nice, you must have a great tan now!! Liver still working?
Sorry for thread drift.

I will second Marquis on Davie St. I will also second that Canadian taxes on wine make for some eye-popping price tags.

Steve, I’ll definitely check out the Davie St shop but it’ll probably be window shopping!

Wayne, it’s all herring and glacier water here - very good for the liver. I can’t afford decent wine in Iceland! A bottle of Villa Maria SB goes for over $30!

The Marquis Wine Cellar is the best by far. The selection is interesting and unique. A lot of items are only available there, as they are also the agent for the wine.

What really sets them apart is the staff. They are friendly, knowledgable and helpful. This is unique in BC. Most stores are goverment run and staffed by BCGEU members. The product consultants tend to not know very much. They take a basic WSET course so they can get a salary hit.

The Kits Wine Cellar has a good selection of over priced items for high rollers. The staff there are very unpleasent and are “experts”. They assume that their customers are complete neophytes and we are lucky that they are sharing their vast knowledge with us.

Thanks David, I’ll definitely go with the Marquis then!

Cheers, Howard