Mosel rieslings 1975 and older

Realizing all the “it depends” caveats, what is your experience with 40 years and older wines from the Mosel?

Mostly very positive experiences. Especially from JJ Prum an Von Schubert. Not older than 1975 though. 1971’ s are hard to get these days

As long as they’re properly stored (and almost all the ones I’ve had have been cellared since release), they show extremely well, vintage dependent of course. Lovely wines, and a real pleasure to drink. I’ve had more Rheingau than Mosel, but the success rate has been remarkable.

A 1959 Karthäuserhof feine Auslese and a 1964 Reichsgraf Von Kesselstatt, Niedermenniger Herrenberg, Auslese remain etched in my ‘wine highlights’ memories. Also a 1945 Schloss Johannisberg, Rosalack, Auslese was still showing some signs of youth and had wonderful structure.

The star years are 45, 49, 53, 59, 64, 71. Other generally very good years are 66,67,69,75.

Well, the good ones are good… :wink:

Schaefer 75 BA last September was awesome. I wouldn’t buy blindly though.

Strange that no-one has mentioned 1976?

I bought 3x 1976 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel at auction in the summer of 2009. The two bottles that I have opened have been nothing short of classic. The first time I opened it I poured in blind to a room of four men with 100+ years tasting experience in the industry collectively and they were all in agreement that it was from the 90’s in a strong vintage. Not bad that it showed so well they thought it was close to 20 years younger. It just goes to show…when tasting blind, everyone can humbled. I’m saving the last bottle for my 40th or 50th Birthday because it’s a birth-year wine for me.

Thought about it, but the threadtitle…

My cellar still has a handful of Rieslings from the 1975 and 1976 vintages from both the Rheingau and The Mosel. They have held beautifully and I pull one from time to time for a special treat. There might be a few from 1971 but I haven’t looked in the bins recently.

Hank [cheers.gif]

Old Mosel riesling are pure magic when in good condition and are from the right producer. If you are looking specifically to purchase some, HDH is selling a big chunk of the Dr. Landy Bonelli collection both as retail and auction consignments. The collection has some amazing gems and some are well priced. If you’re looking to splurge on old riesling, this is the collection to do it from.

For the record, I have no stake in the collection or HDH. I’ve tried a few bottles from the collection, though, and was very impressed.

Can be really very good, even extraordinary … especially the 1971, but also 1969, 1964, 1959 …
but sure depends on the bottle condition

Not to forget 1973 which brought some great Eisweins. The rest from 1973 is hit and miss though.

Yes, but I thought only about Kabinett, Spätlese and Auslese … here 73 is not first choice

I agree. champagne.gif