Sparkling Recommendations wanted <$30

With the Under the Wire release, and some recent retail tastings, I’m starting to explore sparkling wine.

I’m very interested in dry (zero dosage is not a requirement), good QPR examples (likely not from Champagne).

Since I’m exploring, I’m looking for good values to refine my palate.

TIA for your suggestions!

Are you looking for wines similar in style to Champagne, or just good sparkly stuff?

Lots of good Cremants come in under $30. I’ve had delicious Blanquette de Limoux for less than $20.

I have found several of the sparkling wines from Gruet to be very good for the money. The NV Gruet Winery Blanc de Blancs 25th Anniversary Cuvee is one of them. Some of their wines are only available to club members. The Gruet Sauvage is bone dry. Both of these wines are under $20. The 2010 Gruet Winery Blanc de Blancs is $25 per bottle and another good example of a QPR sparkler.

Liked the NV Aubry we had recently, probably is close to that price point.

And always like the CA sparkly - Roederer Estate - usually quite a bit cheaper and widely available.

Since I’m very much in the learning mode, looking for just good sparkly stuff.

See TomHill’s recent thread about the changes at Gruet.

http://www.orsolani.com/en/wines/42-cuvee-tradizionale/2006/92-qcuvee-tradizioneq-caluso-spumante-doc2

http://www.tenuta-mazzolino.com/cruaseENG.html

I love CREMANT DE BOURGOGNE probably more than any other non-Champagne - they are very creamy and great value - and they are 100% from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir from Burgundy - how can you top that?

Bailly-Lapierre is one of the top producers and readily available in California - the link above is to their website -

I’m with Thomas here. If you can’t find suitable champagne at that price point (you can if you look hard or wait for the right sale), cremant is the way to go.

Some stores sell half bottles of Champagne. If you can find them, they are a good way to get your feet wet and try different styles while staying in your price range.

How about Cava’s, Prosecco’s and Cremants from Alsace? Lots of choices.

Robert.Fleming

The Best $20 Or Under Sparklers Availabe?
Post #3 by Robert.Fleming » July 28th 2013, 11:35am
Lucien Albrecht Cremant d’Alsace Brut Rosé. 100% Pinot Noir and it shows. Lovely wine. Around $20.

Ya know, I love wines from all over the boot, but I have never found an Italian sparkler I thought was worth drinking. I like simple and quaffable for summer drinking, but the proseccos (and cavas too, for that matter) I have had take those descriptions a little far for me. I am sure there are good ones out there, but I haven’t had one

Chidaine Methode Traditonelle Montlouis sur Loire Chenin Blanc Brut

Roederer Brut Anderson Valley

Alta Alella Bruel Riserva Cava Brut Nature

Tissot Cremant du Jura Extra Brut

1 Like

a lot of mass produced Prosecco and Dry Spumante out of Italy Neal that are a bit one-dimensional - so I see where you are coming from.

But in Franciacorta - they are doing some special stuff with method champenoise - Bellavista is one of the studs of the area - Champagne priced unfortunately, but you should be able to find their Brut for around $35 - pretty special stuff - and very comparable to the better NV Champagnes -

Lucien Albrecht Cremant from Alsace.
Huet and Baumard make nice sparklers in the Loire < $30.
For Father’s Day I popped a Foreau Vouvray Brut 2009 whose depth and palate coverage were a step up from the Huet (and even more from Baumard), but retailed for $39 at a local store. Yum! flirtysmile Better than some lower end champagnes for sure.

Marcato sparkling rose from Italy (Veneto) was enjoyed by all at a restaurant last weekend and should be in your price range.

See Bereche et Fils Reserve Brut NV 750 ML detail - Vin Chicago It’s $40, not $30, but this is a killer legit champagne for the $.

1 Like

+1 for Roederer Brut Anderson Valley. I’m a fan of their Brut Rose as well.