Wine AC Unit

I wanted to see what the board thought. I have a Whisperkool Extreme ducted unit. I believe retail on this is $3895 or something. Anyway, for the third time in 5 years I have a leak. It will be about $1k to fix. So I am thinking I buy a new one. I have read and see Wine Guardian, Whisperkool and CellarPro as three options. The first 2 seem to be comparable priced while I have no idea on Wine Guardian. So a few questions.

1. What are folks thoughts on the various ducted units?
  2. Would you buy new or continue to try and fix?
  3. I am going on a week without cooling - but am not too worried for a few more weeks as it is still about 70-75 in the house with the AC on. Should I be?

Thanks,
Brad

I wouldn’t worry about 70-75 for a few weeks. Almost certainly the wine was exposed to that or worse at some point between the winery and your cellar. Years is a different story.

Sorry I can’t help with the cooling unit question other than sympathizing with a frustrating situation.

Thanks David. It is frustrating. Hopefully I get it taken care of.

Where is it leaking?

I believe the Wine Guardian is the best of the self contained ducted systems.

I can’t speak to the ducted units. However, in my old house I had a Whisperkool unit (not ducted, in the wall of the cellar) and I eventually bought a re-furbished extra because I had so many issues. The up-side was that our regular heating/ac guy could fix it.

JD

So I’m hearing that I shouldn’t be buying a whisper cool… :wink:

Wine Guardian seems to be regarded as the highest quality. I bought a CellarPro (quite a bit less expensive) and did some front ducting about 9 months ago, and I’ve been very happy with it so far. Seems to be well-built. No problems. Knock on wood.

Thanks guys. the first time it was leaking from the coils. The condenser works so the thought it is leaking from coils again. I have tried to talk to WK and their customer service hasn’t been great though not horrible. They basically offered me 10% off which is the same price distributors get. I talked to a wine cellar guy here in Dallas and the WG is about $500 more than WK, all in. With the majority of that being sales tax vs no sales tax. So am leaning that way - if he can get one in quickly.

On Cellar Pro - I have a call into discuss more.