Swiss Pinot Noir?

Anyone have any experience with these? Just opened one from the Valais (an area known mainly for whites, or so I thought) that kind of blew me away.

Serge Roh - Caves Les Ruinettes, Grand Cru de Vétroz, 2009. I don’t have a lot of information on the producer, other than that it’s a Rosenthal selection. No notes on Cellar Tracker. From what I’ve been able to find online, it seems the vines are at a relatively high altitude, with some age to them (average = 35 years). The fruit is completely destemmed and tastes like it sees little if any new oak.

It’s a lovely light/bright shimmering thing that smells like a berry patch in the middle of a cherry orchard, with everything ripe and ready and accents of flowers and sap. Bright red fruit on the palate - tart Morello cherries and ripe raspberries - with saline and resin notes sneaking through to add a savoury/mineral quality. Soft tannins. Light, but so precise and pure. $28 on sale, worth every penny and then some. Would make a hell of a ringer in a flight of young Burgundy village wines from a red-fruited vintage.

Is this a complete anomaly, or should I be on the lookout for more Swiss Pinots?

Had some great pinots while in Bern earlier this year. Was very impressed but don’t have any specific notes or labels to share. Enjoyed the moments and figured I wouldn’t see many of them outside of Switzerland. But I’m a fan and would love to try this wine and others from the area.

Paging Eric LeVine.

There is some really terrific Pinot here, more from Graubunden and Schaffhausen though.

Posted from CellarTracker

Can’t compete with Eric! :wink:

In general Valais is too warm a climate for Pinot Noir, and it’s varieties like Syrah and other local ones which are better suited to that region (but I need to try Steve Bettschen). As Eric was saying Graubuenden and Schaffhausen (and Aargau and Thurgau too) are cooler and tend to give better Pinot Noirs, IMHO. Then there is the human factor: Gantenbein has been for many years the reference point and is almost the only one you can find abroad (and for a hefty price). But his style is on the ripe, powerful side: “Pinot for lovers of Cote-Rotie and Hermitage.” as Eric aptly said. In his region there are other excellent ones (Eichholz, I. Gruenenfelder, Georg Fromm, Thomas Studach etc.), with a few younger people (Jan Luzi of Sprecher von Bernegg) coming up.
In Thurgau Bachtobel, though less famous than Gantenbein, has also been a reference point and contributed to the formation of several younger weinmakers, like Markus Ruch, who is making fantastic wines in Schaffhausen, or Michael Broger in Thurgau (but I don’t know his wines well enough to comment).
And I often see newer wineries I hadn’t heard of and which would be nice to try.

In summary: yes, Switzerland is a great place for making Pinot Noir, and only now its true potential is starting to be discovered.

Marie-Thérèse Chappaz!

Not sure you’ll be able to find her wines though, pretty difficult.

Alain

There are great Pinots in Switzerland and worth looking for. But you have to look hard because they are difficult to come by and quite expensive lately. Gantenbein, Studach, Schlegel, Sprecher von Bernegg, Fromm, Herter,Ruch, Eichholz, Spiez etc.
I don’t think that Gantenbein is generally for lovers of Cote Rotie, I think this remark was related to the 2011. A lot of Gantenbein vintages represent a cool Pinot/Burgundy style, but they need some time in bottle.
Cheers
Rainer

Oh please, you know 1,000,000 times as much about Swiss Pinot as I ever will, and most of the best ones I have tasted have been from your cellar.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Sounds like Swiss PN is well worth seeking out, though likely not easy to find outside Switzerland. I enjoy travel that combines my passions for wine, nature and hiking. A trip to Switzerland and Northern Italy has been on my short list for a while, was thinking of a summer visit to the vineyards of Valais followed by a hike through the St. Bernard pass into Aosta. Though now it seems eastern Switzerland should be on my wine radar as well.

Had a lovely Pinot Noir de Cully (near Lausanne) '08 by Blondel a few years a ago. Bright, precise, and very carefully made. Not easy to come by though, this was a gift from a friend who knows the wine maker.

Rainer, I have tasted only few aged Gantenbein and liked them. Of recent vintages I have enjoyed 2009, but much less so 2010, which I found very ripe and unbalanced (perhaps an off bottle, or not the right moment). Surprising for the vintage. As you write 2011 was riper as a vintage but I found it was handled well chez Gantenbein.
So far I have been very disappointed by their Chardonnay: way too ripe and massive in style.

By the way, Eric, I am glad to read you also found the nose of “La maison Carree” green and off-putting. But in my experience it improved on day two and three. And like you, I much preferred the palate, which is quite interesting. I am curious to see how it ages. Anyway a wine and a winery with personality.

Fully agree that Pinot is not the strongest varietal in the Valais, but there are good ones to be found.

For sure +1 on M-T. Also try some of the producers at the upper end of the Valais. Maurice Zufferey, Nicolas Zufferey (there are a handful of Zufferey’s in the Valais) or Dennis Mercier in Sierre. And then there are a bunch around Salquenen/Salgesch (same town but it sits right on the Röstigraben)…Gregor Kuonen, Adrian Mathier and Fernand Cina.

Geneva: J-P Pellegrin (Domaine Grand’Cour)

And on the other side of the Röstigraben, I would add Weingut Donatsch and Schlossgut Bachtobel and definitely Weingut Georg Fromm

FYI, I import Chappaz to the US, and have just been told of my allocations after visiting with her earlier in June; a bit of EVERYTHING is in play.
The full offer of her wines will go out in the next two weeks, if you’d care to be included.
Please PM with your email if so.
[cheers.gif]

For those still interested there is a newish wine blog dedicated to Swiss wine in English. It’s at artisanswiss.com. Let me know what you think.