Lets talk Savoie, well the whites anyway!

Doing a search on this site, there are many references to the reds that are produced in this area but I would like to mention the dry whites which I guess would appeal to my palate. Not much selection up here in my area from Savoie and nearby Jura, but one enterprising wine store is bringing in Domaine de l`Idylle.

TN: 2013 Domaine de l`Idylle Vin de Savoie Cruet Vielles Vignes.

100% Jacquere grape, $24 Cdn, 11.5% alc, good natural cork.

The colour is a medium straw, no green tinges. Quite a mineral nose with lemon, stoney, pear and unripe green apple. Initial entry thought is dry, almost Muscadet-like. More apple and pear with mineral tones on the finish. “Enticing acidity” from across the table. Lean citrus finish but quite tasty, I served quite chilled initially. Terrific with boneless wings tossed in chilly sauce and salad.

Which wines are Beserkers finding in their area?

Selection Massale in the East Bay is your friend in this regard.

Guess this dish will help!

I had one of those tartiflettes at Utah’s Snowbasin once. Pretty heavy stuff!

Haven’t had one in years, but Boniface’s Apremonts were always great summer guzzlers. Haven’t seen them locally, and too low priced to be worth shipping for me.

I had the 2015 example of that over the last few nights, acquired from Garagiste. It was lean and taut to me, and I didn’t get much depth out of it. I actually do like Savoyard wines, especially with fondues. This one I had with rosti, smoked fish, and some eggs. At 11.5% abv, and fresh/crisp, it would make a good lunch or afternoon wine, if you still had to be useful later during the day. My grade would be a B, but I’d actually repurchase, since its a different kind of flavor/body/grape than what I normally consume – so that could be useful all by itself.

Wow! Been skiing in Savoie for 40 yrs and have never had a decent local wine ( now cheese, that’s another story ) , only garbage with fondue every few years.- I’ll try to find some in March. Now a decent tartiflette, that I’ve had .
Any other producers people have tasted and liked from Savoie ?

I made Tartiflette over the weekend for a group of friends. Remarkably delicious & simple to make, as long as you can find enough reblochon if doing a large dish. I looked quickly into some Savoie whites, but I always find them quite ordinary and uninspiring after the 1st glass.
We ended up opening some bottles of Pieropan Soave classico (for no wood influence) which worked quite well with the Tartiflette and had the extra bonus of being delicious.

We have some french Canadian friends (family originally from France) that we have cheesy dinners with 3-4 times a winter. Fondue usually, but also raclette (the 1/2 wheel, not those little slices you heat up) and now a Tartiflette. For us, this is one region where the wines aren’t the perfect foil for the food.

We’ve tried, but now always seem to find something just as suitable, but more delicious from elsewhere.

Belluard

In the hot vintages that we have had a plethora of since 2000, they can punch way above their weight IMHO. A couple of producers to look for are Dominique Belluard, Gilles Berlioz & Domaine Genoux.

This, really. Their vintage bubbles are awesome and age really well, gaining complexity with 5 or 6 years on them. Their still whites are delicious too.

Boneless wings? That must take a Lot of work!

I think you underestimate what you can find in Albertaland. The quality of winemaking in Savoie is pretty strong.

Some years ago I lived in Grenoble, and had lots of really nice Apremont–it had beautiful acidity and freshness, the taste of a mountain stream, but I don’t recall the producer (and I haven’t found one like that since [cry.gif] ). Here are some recent good ones:

White
** 2011 Jean Masson Vin de Savoie Apremont Cuvée Cuvee la Dechirée
White
2015 Domaine Labbé Vin de Savoie Abymes Jacquère
Rosé

• 2016 Domaine Labbé Vin de Savoie Mondeuse Blanche
    Rosé
    ** 2015 Domaine Labbé Vin de Savoie Mondeuse Blanche

edit: pretty sure what I drank back then was Apremont, not Abymes

One of my favorites in the red and sparkly category is Renardat-Fache Vin du Bugey Cerdon. It is fun, lightly sweet, bubbly, delicious, has depth of flavor and is great with food. Jim

I’ve had some decent co-op Bugey’s that K&L was direct importing. They have the acid to go with cheesy, gooey stuff, and are still light enough to drink by the pool if you are tired of oaky suburban America chard

I’ve not had their whites, but Domaine Dupasquier makes a killer Vin de Savoie rose and an equally lovely mondeuse.

I’ve been a big fan of the Eugene Carrel Savoie wines; Jongieux Blanc and Rose’. Both under $15.

Never had the still wines, but the bubbles are nice.

I love the wines from Apremont which are made from Jacquere. It appears the 2015 wines got some denser fruit than normal. They are fantastic value whites in the way Muscadet can be. The bummer is they use plastic corks so you have to drink them quick.

The Wine Exchange down here in SoCal normally carries at least a couple of these every year. I can give strong recommendation to both the J Masson VV and the Portaz that they have in stock right now. The fruit is a bit showier on both than in most vintages but they still have that nice minerally finish.

Surprised it hsn’t been mentioned yet, but if you’re talking Savoie whites you need to think about Altesse. This is definitely my favorite white appellation (roussette de Savoie is the grape i think). I love the soft richness of this variety but without heaviness. All white flowers and white peaches, creamy and layered. I’ve had nice examples from Domaine de L’Idyll, Giachino etc…
I find jacquere grape can too often be a bit over-cropped and screechy.
Also need to explore the Chignin de Bergeron made from roussane.

I agree on the Altesse. Eugene Carrel mentioned above makes a nice one too.