Apha Omega WInery

Quick visit tomorrow. How is Alpha Omega Winery?
Thanks,
Carlos

Their single vineyard Cabernets are consistently excellent. The Era is terrific as well. Their lower end is less exciting, though they do make a nice Sauv Blanc too.

Just take a bet on the visit quality. For some reason, it seems to be very binary here–

Scroll down this thread and you’d find both (or search the winetalk threads)

I hope you’d have the good luck side :slight_smile:

Well, since you’re already planning to go, you can let us know how it is!
I have been there several times, and have always received A+ treatment. Do make sure to arrange your visit in advance, though, rather than just walking in. The wines have a modern styling to them, though not at all spoofulated. I would say they’re well-made wines across the board, fairly accessible when young, but will age fine, especially the reds.
Have a great time…should be an awesome day in the Valley! Please let us know your impressions.

Will call today for appt.

Had their wines recently at a tasting–have to say(I had expected more. Tried both the cab and the proprietary red. Lots of oak, not much finesse…the usual suspects.

Be curious what you think, Carlos.

I wouldn’t hesitate to email Jean. He is a WBer and all-around cool dude, and he will help arrange your visit.

I will call and try and get ahold of Jean.

Crud Jean the winemaker? no soup for me neener

Well, stopped by without a appt. Nice facility especially the fountain area. The lower level red’s were very underwhelming as was the chard. The Sauv. blanc was nice though. Did get a sample of the 2013 Tokalon and ERA wine. I did not take notes but preferred the Tokalon.

Good that you had a chance to taste, Carlos, and sorry that I didn’t see this thread before your visit. FWIW, my notes from my recent sojourn out to California:

"ALPHA & OMEGA

After missing him 3 years ago, and despite a crazy-busy day (Suckling, among others, was visiting later in the afternoon), Jean was able to square away about an hour with me. We talked each other’s ears off, about everything from cork vs. Stelvin to ageing philosophy on wines, the joy of Chasselas, effects from the earthquake, to me exhorting him to think about making some Sonoma-based Chard and some of the business of making wine. Alene was a lovely and wonderful counterpoint, being very free with her own thoughts, tremendously knowledgeable and very engaging as she took over from Jean later and got me backstage for a little bit of barrel tasting.

As with Brian Loring, I asked Jean what has changed in the past 6 years or so. He responded that his quest is to continue to improve the wines every year (he was the first to do barrel fermentation in Cali), and he keeps almost a “diary” or “bible” for every vintage. He also is more confident about the style of wine he’s making within the A & O “brand”.

2013 Alpha & Omega Sauvignon Blanc

30% in neutral oak. Light melony fruit–as in luminous-type. Underlying grassiness. Fresh and apple, some sweet pea secondary, this is fresh and enjoyable

2013 Alpha & Omega 1155 Reserve Sauvignon Blanc

…but this is the jazz, boy! 12 months in 40% new oak. 14-18 hours of skin maceration. The vines are about 17 years old. And this just picks up steam the more time it’s in the glass. Aromas of honey, lilac, lemon and lime. It has sterling character with lemon, apple, slate and marzipan all having a say. Jean is in my “house”, as he also loves white Bordeaux, and this has all the hallmarks of one of those. Acidity is really fine here, and I keep coming back to it after the reds and it keeps washing the tongue clean and leaving its mark. As good as the 11 Proprietary is, this is the wine I left with. Possibly the best current-release Cali white I’ve had on the trip so far.

2012 Alpha & Omega Napa Chard

96, 75, Wente and Robert Young clones. 6 different vineyards, 60% neutral oak for 16 months. Lemon bread and vanilla, but quite subtle on the nuzzie. Smooth, sweet, but not too sweet. This has a hidden drive about it, but I remain curious as to how it will develop over the next 3 years.

2011 Alpha & Omega Proprietary Red

72% cab, 20% CF, 5% PV and 3% Merlot. 80% new (all French) for 22 months. Lovely deep dark red hue. Earth, chickoree bits and plenty of sweet red plum and cherry to sniff. Oohhh—buckles the knees some. This is sooo good, tactile, lovely acidity, all the grapes having a say. Cocoa, tobacco, some tea and great blue and black fruit. A winner—Jean comments that the 11 vintage was a joy because of the cool weather providing such freshness and allowing the acidity to shine. He figures this can age 20-30 years at least.

2012 Alpha & Omega Napa Cab

Warmer, sweeter more “trippy” bouquet or sure, showing with plum and some raisin. It is heady, some. Much younger tasting, but (and perhaps an unfair comparison to the 11 Proprietary—may be a word to the wise to serve them in the opposite order) also for me a fair bit less sophistication. Simpler. Not that it isn’t enjoyable, but it wouldn’t be something I’d buy…I comment to Jean and Alene that I am thinking about this wine less and I like it when I’m “thinking” about a wine.

2012 Alpha & Omega Petit Verdot/Cab Franc

Jean harbours a dream of making a 100% Petit someday, but despairs somewhat of the clientele accepting it :slight_smile: I’d love him to do it! This is 46% PV and 54% CF. 20% stainless steel, both varieties are from Stagecoach and the PV is SE facing on gravelly soil while the CF is in sandy soil and south facing. 22 months in oak and 80% of the oak used is new. Delish. Deep cocoa and touches of green pepper, sweet herbs and pure sweet blackberry fruit. It is sweet right now, but very kinetic, lots of grip—chocolatey, goody-good plum, black fruit. CF is buried, but its structure is there to have it come back. 3 years at least to check back in.

Jean had to scoot at this point and Alene took over most capably

2013 Alpha & Omega Reserve Chard in once-used barrel

grapes are from Gibson Valley, Carneros and 1 other vineyard. To be bottled and released in mid-November, so more than 2 years in oak. Bananas foster, citrus combo scents. Already very creamy, some buttered popcorn and almond, very tropical—and big. This will need to be reined in.

2013 Alpha & Omega Sunshine Valley Vineyard Cab in once used barrel

7 year vines. Smells lighter, with brighter berry and thyme and savoury as well. Delivers a meatiness and sweetness but also with some lines.

2013 Alpha & Omega To Kalon Cab in new Marques barrel

Smells fresh, very much blue fruit, pomegranate too. Lot C of the vineyard. I love To Kalon, and this is the essence of it—earth and rocks and red and black fruit. Vibrant plus, lucky will be the bottle that finds this in it. (Jean and I talked earlier about the concept of single barrel bottling someday—he didn’t seem completely opposed!)

2013 Alpha & Omega Era in new Bousset barrel

96% Cab, 4% CF. CF is from Dr. Crane. Otherwise, fairly even distribution from 4 vineyards except less from Sunshine. Perfumey—this nose comes with how big it’s gonna be. Tomatillo here too and full of macerated plum and cherry. Thick and rich and creamy already with plum, chokecherry and some sweetmeats. Will be very interesting with time.

Real glad to have gotten back here after 3 years. As a side note, I let both Jean and Alene try the 2013 Pearl Morissette Cuvee Metis, his 50% CF 50% Pinot wine, and they were both quite impressed, Alene making a fascinating comment that it felt like the flavours rainbowed through her mouth, with discernible CF and Pinot components at different moments"

Very binary is a great way to describe it. We’ve been twice. When we made an advance reservation, it was a great experience. We tasted all the single vineyard Cabs, Era and the whites in a very nice setting. When we just dropped in, not so great. I highly recommend AO, but with a reservation, to others considering going in the future…

It is a great winery. We stopped by without an appointment but once we mentioned WB, we received stellar treatment. Most of the cabs are a bit over my price point but phenomenal. The unoaked Chardonnay is great.

I also mentioned WB but must have mentioned it to the wrong person cause I got a look like OHHHHHH your one of the wineee board people neener

Jean Hoefliger (winemaker) - who frequents WB - has taken great care of a bunch of forum members with a tasting, reach out!

I will give it another go in the fall after harvest, because I did like the single vineyard wines. I will try and contact Jean Hoeflinger via email to make a appt. at that time.

Thank you all for these kind words. I am always here to help. Carlos, the door is open

Jean Hoefliger,
I might be back in July is it best to reach you via email?

Thank you,
Carlos

I visited Alpha Omega months ago - and was amazed at the tasting. The crowds are definitely overwhelming, but the outside patio area is beautiful and the cabs/red wine blend delicious.

Jean hooked me up back in April.

I had the same initial impression about the crowds. The microphone for calling those waiting gave me the impression of a very commercial place. However, the tasting we had was just the opposite. The setting was in a very nice private tasting room. Jean was out of the country at the time. Our host, Chris, was a fun and knowledgeable host who was not pushy. The SV wines were amazing. The regular Cab (2012) was better than I expected and there was not one wine that we disliked. We pre-purchased three 2013 ERAs which, although young and not yet bottled, were very deep and rich in flavor and structured. We loved our visit so much we are headed back in August with our daughters.