Query: Lousy Wine List -- What To Order?

Here’s my dilemma: I’m going to dinner tonight with a friend who is not a wine snob and, invariably, he will end up telling me to order a bottle of wine. I’m helping him out gratis, so he’s going to insist on picking up the check.

This causes two problems:

1. What is the upper limit that one should order on someone else’s tab? I tend to recoil at ordering anything that will cost more than the food.

2. What do I do in this situation? Do I explain that the list sucks and then go on a soliloquy of why? Do I suggest that I don’t feel like drinking? Tell him I feel like beer or a cocktail even if he insists on getting wine (normally I’d go the beer/cocktail route, but it can be awkward when someone pushes you to get a bottle, since you’re the “wine guy”).

Here is the offending list: https://www.eddiev.com/menu_pdf/8515/8515_wines.pdf

If you happen to see something that isn’t awful and horribly overpriced, please let me know. I had a hard time focusing after I saw that listed first under “INTERESTING WHITES” was the Jam Jar, White Blend, Moscato, South Africa, 2014.

BYOB an option? seems the easiest, and if he only has to pay for corkage it’ll be less expensive than something off the menu.

I would go for one of these:
Selbach‑Oster, Riesling Kabinett, Mosel, 2013 13 52
Ferrari‑Carano, Siena, Sangiovese/Malbec, Sonoma, 2012 55
Finca Allende, Tempranillo, Rioja, Spain, 2007 17 68

I have had these, perhaps not in these vintages, but they are nice drinkable wines. That’s all you need to enjoy your time with friends and the food. Stay near the bottom of the list. If he wants to buy a bottle of wine, these are fine IMO.

I agree the list sucks. The La Cana Albarino is pretty good and (only) twice retail.

Beringer Knights Valley Cab is always decent.

The Hirsch Gruner is a good wine, but not at their markup.

The list does not totally stink, but the prices do.

This jump out as being wines I wouldn’t mind drinking:

414 Selbach‑Oster, Riesling Kabinett, Mosel, 2013 13 52
508 Antinori, Marchese, Sangiovese, Chianti Classico Riserva, 2010 75
104 Louis Roederer, Brut Premier, Reims, N.V. 20 100
105 Schramsberg, Blanc de Blancs, Napa, 2011 95

Paul beat me to it. When faced with an overpriced and/or boring wine list, BYOB/corkage is always a good call when available.

If you feel compelled to order off the list, and if you like Sauvignon Blanc with the seafood, the first three are decent and not redonkulous in total cost. I would be more tempted by the Selbach-Oster, as mentioned by others, but your friend might not like German Rieslings…

Bruce

BYOB

or say you’re in the mood for a cocktail… done… if he’s not a wino, he won’t think too much at this comment.

I have to say, I don’t think this wine list is terrible at all, at least relative to the crappy wine lists I see all the time in Maine. Sure, there are lots of usual-suspect crap wines on the list, but Loren lists a few nice ones. In addition, I’d strongly consider the “Hirsch, #1, Grüner Veltliner, Kamptal, Austria, 2013.” 2013 was an outstanding vintage in Austria, and I think Gruner goes very well with lots of different food. The 2012 Freeman Pinot Noir will also be very nice. Neither of these is a mass-market wine by any means.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The Selbach-Oster was my gut reaction, but I don’t think he likes Riesling (I’ll ask). The Scott Paul PN also piqued my interest a bit, not a fan of 2011 Oregon.

So that 2014 Jam Jar Moscato is a definite no?

I had to laugh at $64 for Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio. That’s the most expensive water I’ve ever seen on a menu. Aside from the offensive mark-ups, there are enjoyable wines in every category. In addition to the ones mentioned, Nisia Verdejo, Thelema Cab, any of the three Oregon Pinots, and a few of the Merlots or Malbecs should get you by.

P Hickner

• on the Selbach Riesling and I recently had the Ravenswood 2011 Big River Zin and really enjoyed it.

When a wine list is crappy I feel sparkling wine is the safest because for reds especially even a highly rated familiar name is likely to be too oaky for me if the restaurant list is built for profit rather than quality. I’ve never heard someone say I drink too much Champagne or I wish we hadn’t ordered the Champagne.

I have seen way worse lists than this, but this is by no means a decent list.

508 Antinori, Marchese, Sangiovese, Chianti Classico Riserva, 2010 is very drinkable.
620 Honig, Napa, 2012 would be good if you get it decanted now.
105 Schramsberg, Blanc de Blancs, Napa, 2011 would be my white choice and will not offend.

This wine list is why people BYOB, what an embarrassment of overpricing. I’d probably try to convince him on the cocktails, otherwise go for the Riesling.

Missed that, another respectable choice if you don’t mind the markup.

“hey, I’m not really feeling anything good on this list, it’s a bit over priced, how about we stick to cocktails tonight?”

boom

Tough list. If it was me, and my friend was drinking wine too, I would lean towards one of these:

Antinori, Marchese, Sangiovese,Chianti Classico Riserva, 2010 75
Ramey, Claret, Napa, 2012 21 84

If he wasn’t going to drink wine, I would do the Ramey by the glass or drink beer.

Dude- BYO. Tell him whatever you bring is something special that you’ve been sharing with friends. Otherwise La Cana, Selbach or Scott Paul

Or you could go all romantic and order a couple of these:

Make sure they bring you the straws.