Coravin, Pungo...now Wikeeps - these are popping up everywhere

I just received notice from Wikeeps via Vinexpo about their wine preservation system, and looked them up. The design is one that I’m not sold on, as it looks like a kitchen sink, if (as it appears) you need to keep that faucet thing hooked up to the bottle

Coravin/Pungo allow you to insert, pour, and remove, don’t they? I seriously need to get my own such system, but don’t know which one, as I hear positive and negative about each, and with so many coming out, perhaps wait it out and see which truly gets it right - the best ease of use and easily/affordably refillable gas.

I will stick with my coravin.

and I will stick w my Pungo.

Jets vs. Sharks?

Was this ever released?

Pungo stays on. You can remove and put on a stopper but it’s not like coravin. More similar to this wikeeps

Looks like this is one where you uncork the wine first and then fix this contraption into the bottle neck. Inherently this means the wine won’t last as long as there is immediate air contact. It would also be impossible to remove and re-cork without additional air contact, so you might need to have multiples to do multiple wines. Last this is much more of a cleaning tax. However, this is much closer to my use-case than a coravin. My biggest issue is keeping a single bottle fresh over a couple of nights, or at most a week or two, as opposed to being able to nibble the edges on a multitude of bottles, plus both pungo and this solve the pour/pressure challenges of the single in/out channel of the coravin.

I would buy a pungo if they ever actually sold them, followed by something like this, then a coravin.

i’m tempted to buy a pungo a couple of times… but the difficulty in acquiring one, and the length it’s taken to have this commercially released is not only de-motivating, but also a somewhat red-flag on whether the company has its sh!t together…

you need to get on Alan’s level ;p

in other word, DRC offered directly from domaine level? [head-bang.gif]

I received mine in early May.

I’ve had my Pungo for several months and it’s the best wine device I’ve ever encountered (well, besides the Durand, but different type).

Pungo is fantastic. I rarely use my Coravin anymore. I’ve had moderate success with Coravin but enough problems (leaking, bottles degrading at ~1/3 full) to give me pause. Pungo has been perfect. I use the stoppers regularly now. I kept the final glass of a bottle of '00 Quintarelli Ca del Merlo under stopper for more than six months, and I drank it on Monday… perfect.

Recently I met one of the guys behind Pungo (long after I had formed my opinion on the quality of the device). They are a class act all the way. They’re also perfectionists, and making (or were making – not sure if they’ve progressed) the devices by hand. The time and money they’ve put into Pungo shows in the superb quality of the device. I hope more of you are able to get your hands on one soon.

ok but where is there a link where i can order, pay, and get one shipped to me?

I don’t know, because I have mine. Send a PM to Morgan (mweinberg) to inquire about purchase.

I told Burt about the thread.

Here’s the website: http://www.pungo.us/

Send them an email to the address at the bottom of the screen and they’ll take it from there. Most of the “how it works” is on Youtube. As great as the guys have been, they should do a better job of information sharing, like putting the Youtube videos on their own site.

Why is one better than the other? It seems like a pain to have to put a “stopper” in after using the Pungo, what is the advantage over Corvin?

1. No leaks
  2. The wine actually remains preserved over long periods, which I’ve found spotty with the Coravin (especially after the halfway empty point)
  3. Far better flow pressure
  4. In addition to stoppers, Pungo has a plug device that can replace the cork and accepts the stopper – which is great for soft corks
  5. The bottle is only (very) mildly pressurized, so no exploding bottles

Those are just a few advantages that come to mind.