Scott Paul changes

Haven’t seen this brought up yet, granted we Oregon partisans are a distinct minority around here, but we do see occasional comments on the new regime at Evesham Wood, so…

So Scott Wright sold and is focusing his champagne and burgundy sales - have received some terrific champagne offers lately, haven’t bitten on any but can’t see myself holding out for much longer. Now word comes that winemaker Kelley Fox has moved on as well.

Thoughts? Concerns?
Confident in the new crew?

Ian Burch the new wine maker seems to have a solid background, and it looks like he is signed up for the 2008 throw down next month.

With a little searching I see that this not new news, it was announced in early December, but I was unaware. I have met Scott Wright and Kelly Fox at the tasting room and received royal treatment (or so it seemed) and I am a bit sad to hear this irrespective of how good a thing this may have been for Scott and Martha. I must confess that despite loving everything Mr. Wright had to say and despite finding the wines to be sound, I was never quite blown away nor did I find much value. I have to think that others felt that the same way and that sluggish sales were part of the reason, but I am likely wrong.

The sale was quite some time ago. While I’m sure the winemaker change has been afoot for a while, as far as I know it was just announced last week.

Ms Fox makes wines of a style both for Scott Paul and her own label. I’ve enjoyed them for the most part, but can see that they would not be for everyone. No idea about their sales, production has been very small - maybe 2000 cases? They did start a 2nd label, but nothing unusual about that really? I have not had those wines.

While I haven’t had a huge amount of Scott Paul wine, I very much enjoyed the ones I’ve tried. Along with Arterberry Maresh, it was one of two Oregon wineries that I made sure to buy on a regular basis.

I guess I will try the Kelley Fox wines now though I think they are a little harder to find. Can any one tell me if they are similar in style to Scott Paul? I liked the strawberry fruit and the feminine, chambolle-style approach of the Scott Paul wines.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed a number of Scott Paul PNs over the years. That said, they’ve never been an automatic buy and the prices have crept up. My understanding is that Ian is quite capable. I look forward to tasting his efforts…and hope Scott’s Burg/Champagne biz continues to be a success.

RT

The 2008 Audrey was the wine that made me fall in love with Oregon Pinot. I still have fond memories of that moment.

Mitch, I think it was the opposite. Struggling brands usually close down. I think this was a partner upping the ante, an offer you couldn’t refuse.

The second label Wild Stock didn’t invoke Kelly at all. It’s a sign of the new direction, an expansion of something successful.

Kelley’s wines are simply beautiful. Full of emotion. I highly recommend them, particularly Maresh vineyard.

My understanding as well.

Ian Burch has some great experience both in Oregon and Burgundy; most recently with Evening Land. I expect you’ll see some very good things from Scott Paul going forward.

Is there a link to the champagne and burgundy site? I thought when I went to his site 2-3 months ago I couldn’t locate all of th brands he represented.

Nice pics and travel descriptions on the Blog portion.

RT

You should enjoy the Kelley Fox lineup very much, at least based on the last 6-8 I have had.

Where is Kelly working now? Michael @ StoryTeller has championed her wines for some time, and I bought some '13 Mirabai from him based on an earlier TN thread here.

Your avatar works so well with this comment and the thread of conversation. [rofl.gif]

+1 (and it’s “Kelley,” which Vincent doubtless knows but was victimized by zee autokorrect!).

Well, she is pouring for her own label at IPNC this year, so maybe mainly for herself?
But also interested if anyone does have any other intel…

That is my understanding as well. All of the correspondence I have had with her has been a joy. She is a very deeply spiritual person and it comes across in her wines.
My number one find for 2015, and I have found much this year.

Damn you autocorrect! And yet it lets Maresh though. Good to know that autocorrect is more a vineyard guy… [cheers.gif]

Yes Autocorrect is all about the farming. A real terrorist.

So Kelley still makes her wine @ Scott Paul, just doesn’t make their wine there anymore.