Left handed wine woes

Being left handed comes with certain obstacles-- corkscrews being one of them. When I use a helix corkscrew it does not work as when a left handed person starts to turn the helix it spins upwards (to exit the cork) and not downwards (to enter the cork). I generally use either an ah-so or port tongs. My wife recently got me two inexpensive left handed helix corkscrews (recently as in yesterday) which I haven’t had opportunity to try. One is a waiters style the other is the stly that looks like a jumping jack exercise (what is the name of that style anyway???)
I have wanted to ourchase a durand but alas shelling out money for a product which I cant use correctly is a pet peeve of mine soI emailed the good folks at Durand. There answer was no plans and learns how to do it right handed or spin backwards with left hand.
Anyone else encounter left handed obstacles in the wine world??

I’m left handed and have been opening wine bottles for more than 50 years. I most often use a standard waiter’s helix held in my left hand and the bottle in my right hand. I’ve always felt I had an advantage over righties as I think it is easier to twist the corkscrew by turning my wrist inward (clockwise). Maybe it has just been a lifetime of practice.

I too am left handed and never had a problem opening bottles with a standard corkscrew

Lefty here as well. I just decided to learn how to use my right hand when opening bottles. Took a little practice, but fine now.

I had never even thought about it before. Now that it’s in my mind, I’ll probably mangle the next cork that I try to extract. [cheers.gif]

I’ve never given it a thought, either. Seems no different to me than using a screwdriver. ??

If you pony up for a Code38, I believe you can order them lefthanded.

I am as left handed as anyone I know – I’m fairly sure my right hand is only there to keep my jacket sleeve from dipping into the soup – but I have no problem with a waiters’ corkscrew. However the first time I used a Durand, I broke the neck of the bottle off.

Another lefty here. Never had any problems with a corkscrew and I love my durand. John Fagan pretty much nailed how I do it.

lefty here as well. i do what john does.

[cheers.gif]

How do you plan to get the left hand twist corkscrew out of the cork? If you try that same motion with a right hand twist it will go into the cork.
I am pretty ambidexterous but use my corkscrew with the left hand.

It was really tough to teach myself to pour right handed for the Somm Exam. The world’s just biased against us lefties…

Another lefty here who’s never had a problem. I think I use my left hand? So many things in life that forced me to be right handed, but I don’t think this is one.

Now when i play darts, I usually have to throw one with each hand to remember which way is better.

More lefties here than a communist rally ;¬)

Other options are the screwpull ‘rabbit’ style which has the contraption doing the turning. You simply apply the pressure backward and forward and the cork pops out. ‘Simples’ as the advert here goes.

Lefty here–I use my right hand.
My good friend is a lefty who uses the left handed clockwise spin.

Another who is always in the right frame of mind.

Same.

Never thought about and never had a problem and I use a variety of corkscrews - traditional, Ah So, and Durand all work fine.