Changes Afoot at GruetVnyds

I had the opportunity to try a Gruet Brut at a party ystrday. I was a bit underwhelmed. I have, of course, followed Gruet from the very start when they put in their vnyds over in Engle, NM; just east over the mtns of TruthOrConsequences. It didn’t seem to have the bit earthy character that I recalled from previous btls. Then I looked at the label and it said American SparklingWine. I then looked in a wine shop today and all the Gruet labels identified the wine as American wine. There is…gasp…even a Gruet American CabernetSauvignon.
Gruet was purchased (they characterize it as “partnering”) by PreceptWines, a very large operation up in Seattle a bit less than a yr ago. In an interview, Laurent touts the benefits of the partnership allowing them to expand production levels (from some 120,000 btls/yr) and gives the usual lip service to increasing quality. So it appears that Gruet is now bringing in grapes from Calif & WashState and Gruet NewMexico wine will no longer be. They have put in a (fairly) large (for NM) vnyd near the SantaAnaPueblo just East of the I-25 going into Albq. But your Gruet will no longer be NewMexico wine and the Gruet sense of terroir is probably a thing of the past.
Tom

This is, of course, an extrapolation based on a single data point. But LosAlamos guys can usually make extrapolations based on zero data points, of course.

And Texas. They’re supposed using TX fruit…

I first read about Gruet in the WSJ. John and Dorothy wrote an article about them. I went out and tried a bottle, and found it to be a pleasant surprise at $15.00. It was perfect for a mimosa, and not bad to drink solo.

I really have no interest in anything but their sparkling wines anyway… [shrug.gif]

Yup, Kyle…I’d heard they were taking some TX grapes as well. Can’t imagine there are much available, though.
But you’re in big trouble if they cast they eyes NorthWard!!!
Tom

Sorry to read this. I think the Deming terroir was a benefit to them and will not be there in future wines.

If they come across the border to plant, they’ll be welcomed with open arms. If they’re looking to purchase grapes, they’ll be laughed at…

Just saw them floor stacked at whole foods…

:frowning:

Tom,

That is sad news indeed. Gruet was my go-to sparkling wine, both in and after college. I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere.

this is a big shame.

Say it ain’t so, Joe, say it ain’t so.

I met the family many years ago at Zachys. Their story was that they were vacationing from France in New Mexico and they saw this plateau. They had a small vineyard or winery in Champagne. The father said he thought the plateau would be a great place to grow grapes. They investigated and the kids stayed behind to start the operation here. I bought cases of it at the time for $15 a bottle to use for events I was organizing. Must have been in about 2001.

We had had their sparkling brut rose a few times over the years, and generally enjoyed it. We were in Albuquerque this last January and it was with great joy that we stopped by their tasting room.

The wind got let out of our sails pretty quickly. Of the 4-5 sparklers we tried, only the brut rose did much for me. The cab and pinots were very disappointing.

Well, Ryan…I’d say give them anuther try under the new regime. Don’t abandon them on my say-so. But the one I had was disappointing.
Tom

Very disappointing indeed. This was definitely a go-to in value sparkling. Not sure why they feel the need to eliminate the original wines rather than simply adding on some additional sources or bottlings under the same brand. Why you would discontinue a very successful line in order to expand is beyond me. What a shame.

Do we know for sure that this is going to affect their sparkling wines? I was just there a couple of weeks ago and I thought the sparkling wines we tasted were the same as I recalled in years past. They did mention and I did taste through their red wines. The bottle of cab we brought home has New Mexico on the label.

Very nice people, great value bubbles, I hope they don’t completely f this up.

JD

If it’s labeled NM CS, the grapes come from Paola’s Deming vnyd. They don’t grow CS over in Engle I believe. The btls of all the wines (Chard/CS/PN/Syrah) I saw
on the shelf were labeled “American”. Would be interesting to know what fraction of their Sparkling Wine grapes come from Engle.
Tom

I still have several bottles of their vintage Gilbert Gruet and their vintage Grand Rose and I find them both very good especially at their price point. I will wait to pass judgement on future offerings until I have tried them. Not all change causes calamity.

I have found their sparkling wines to be disappointing for the past year or two, but this is still very sad.