The Wrath Of Grapes -- NY Times on IPOB

Just posting to share – The New York Times Magazine just published a big story on IPOB (In Pursuit of Balance).

Discuss as you please…

Good read… [cheers.gif]

I have two words: Great Marketing

getting my popcorn ready. this thread should take off!

“They are what they are.” Great line–modifying “it is what it is.”

Thanks very much for the link. Good read.

For those of us that have never actuallly tasted them- how are the wines of Sandhi and Domaine de la Côte and Mathiason? I have had SeaSmoke, Shafer, etc, and understand the style point the article makes.

Scott,

The wines are as described, lighter in body, a more elegant, Burgundian style. I would say even lighter than most of what is typically coming out of the SRH right now. The Chardonnays in particular are much less opulent. However, I don’t find them to be Burgundian in the sense that they need age or time to develop, though Raj might see it differently. I think a standard 2-5 year window to drink after release seems right from what I’ve tasted so far.

It was a nice read, perhaps a puff piece for IPOB, but nothing to stir up the mob over in terms of how the two sides were painted.

Thanks Brent. I like that style of wine for the most part- but here is the big disconnect I see…

There was a quote about these wines being the style of wine you can expect in a carafe in on a bistro table in france, etc. Great. Big fan of that light, quaffable style. But guess what- The price point on those is 10-20 per bottle- NOT $45-90.

+1

RT

+1

I’ve only had the Sandhi and Cote wines a few times, I’d call the Sandhi wines slightly more “main stream”, and the Cote wines more delicate, though both fit the IPOB label. Neither are austere. Honestly, I don’t find either of them particularly revelatory, but they are nice wines.

The Matthiasson wines I find unique and delicious, particularly the non-Chardonnay whites, and the Cab Franc.

I’m 99 points on that.

I think this article is “news” to anyone who hasn’t been following the wine market/wine critics for the past several years. For the rest of us, I think Gen. Franco is still dead.

Bruce

Disclaimer–I love Napa Cab and buy a good bit every year. Otherwise I buy mostly Burgundy, Loire and lean Syrah.
BUT,
“The jihadist movements of non­sulphured wines, green, underripe wines, low alcohol, insipid stuff promoted by the anti-­pleasure police & neo-­anti-­alcohol proponents has run its course as another extreme and useless movement few care about.” is the quote of the year. What a tool!
(btw, I know it isn’t a new quote but still QOTY for me)

This was my favorite quote of the entire piece!

+1. RMP outdoing himself.

It’s only more bombastic than the “anti-flavor wine elite.” It all comes down to the same position–if you’re not making wine that I can give at least X points to, then you’re wrong.

Bruce

Interestingly, we did a Raj Parr dinner last night, and had Evening Land, Sandhi and Domaine de la Cote. I would argue that Parker would enjoy the Sandhi wines, simply b/c they are well made, with great varietal character, and plenty of phenolics and flavor. The wines are balanced (used in the right terms), and worth every cent. I also think he would enjoy the Domaine de la Cote, which had darker fruit, and a little more soul than the Sandhi wines. The difference between the 2 projects is purchased fruit (Sandhi) vs. estate (Cote), and I thought the Cote just had more fit and finish.

Interesting absence from the article is Matthiasson’s day job as vineyard manager at Dalla Valle…oh wait…you aren’t supposed to know that…

BTW, Jeb Dunnuck said he spent 2+ hours with the author, and only had one line. What a waste of time!

While the article may come as news to some, it’s nothing new to anyone who frequents this board. Like most ideological sects, the Parrtisans will forever cleave to their fantasy-world notions, chasing 12% ABV rainbows ad infinitum. No need to beat this horse much further.

It could almost be a parody quote as if someone was mocking his recent writings by putting all of his usual talking points into one jab.