QPR Winner, Baby!!!--2013 Carlisle Syrah Sonoma County

Mike O does it again. Frigging ay, this stuff is a crusher for the price and it really fills a core space in my own cellar for when I want a syrah with some older world edges, yet I know full well this is going to be styled in a new world, CA way. When I think about my cellar for CA syrah producers for my cellar, mixing in Wind Gap, Copain, Riverain and Carlisle, this really seals it all up together. Great stuff here.

• 2013 Carlisle Syrah Sonoma County - USA, California, Sonoma County (5/14/2015)
    How Mike can keep cranking out this stuff for $20 is plain sick. I pulled the cork on this an hour ago and poured about 8 ozs to a stem, my glass for the night. Been sipping it down and it really shows so good. Flush with dark, plush berry, creosote, herb, char and light olive. Leans a bit to decadence, then the influence of the rustic part of the wine helps counter. Year after year he makes this stuff, like a magician. Finishes with some charred cherry, a bit of acidity and youth. Plenty for the next 2 days so we’ll have a go at some slow ox and see what it do…Day 2, basically room temp, about 68f. Very similar to y/day, although the berry is mainly purple/black with a shading of red, so a nod more to the fresh dark, cobbler-like berry. A few people have commented in their notes about oak and alcohol. I really don’t care for either of these in the wines I buy and drink these days, and I don’t see these at work here. Yes, this is more CA new world styled with the fresh berry and opulent edges, but that tar/creosote note keeps it all together, and there is plenty of tarry tang in the finish. This bottle reminds me of how solid this represents QPR, at the pricing and style it offers. Like with the Rivers-Marie SC PN, show me a CA syrah any better for $20 than this one, year in and out. Next year, I will make the point to buy 6 of these and lock it in. Wonderful stuff.

Posted from CellarTracker

I screwed up my spring order and ended up getting 1 1/2 cases of the Syrah Sonoma County. When I mentioned this to Mike on my visit last month he told me I made a great mistake. Will try and wait a couple of years to open one although based on this tasting note that will be tough.

Frank, I saw your write up on CT and I was also very impressed with this wine. I’ve already been through 6 bottles, but it’s my first large order from Carlise so I’ll ask the same question to the group that I’ve asked in another thread.

Is it always this good or does the addition of Papa’s block create a noticeable increase in quality from this vintage over others?

Patrick, the Carlisle Sonoma County Syrah varies it’s sources a bit from year-to-year, but is consistently excellent. Others have been drinking them longer, but I haven’t had a bad bottle of the SC since my first, which was a 2005.

Frank - thank you for getting an early read on this - sounds delicious. I totally agree about this being the QPR champ for syrah - year in and year out, the Carlisle appellation syrah and zins over-deliver!

I’m thinking this might need to be opened for the Hawks/Ducks opener !!

Totally agree. Along with the 2013 Sonoma County Zin. QPR Champs. Great wine from great people at a great price point.

Thanks,
Ed

Appreciate all the comments, even Jay as we both get ready to see our team crush the other!

With Mike’s syrahs, he has a style that is very consistent, where he gets plushness and color, abundance of flavor, yet like the bottle above, there are edges in the wine, even at the $20 price point. Reminds me of the same raw pleasure I got/get from the 2007 RRV syrah. That wine is another crusher that has really been a thrill over the years to drink.

Good to know! I have 2 of these and 4 of the Zin stashed away. :slight_smile:

I only ordered the Sonoma County Zin. I will have to get some Syrah next go round…

Can’t wait to try it. I was letting it rest but I may have to pop one.

Great note, Frank, thanks for posting, hope to try it with Mike next week.

Kwa Heri,

Mike