TN: 2012 Azienda Agricola Cos Cerasuolo di Vittoria Classico

Light-bodied, with ample acidity framing the sweet & sour red fruits. The nose is better than the palate on this wine - I wouldn’t call the acidity volatile, but it is noticeable and can be a little “spiky”.

Interesting wine; don’t have a clue if this is built to age, but because it comes across right now as a little disjointed, I am tempted to put a bottle away to see what might happen in a couple years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, Bob. I am not familiar with this offering from Cos, but I did have a 2010 Maldafrica earlier this year and it was really good. This is a producer that I will seek out more.

Thanks,
Ed

Ed, I think this is the first time I’ve tried this as well.

I believe it is a blend of Frappato and Nero 'd Avola, but not sure what proportion of each.

60% nero d’Avola, 40% Frappato

http://www.cosvittoria.it/english/vini_cerasuolo.htm

They also make a version in amphora, called Pithos - it cannot be called “Cerasuolo di Vittoria” DOCG, because maturing the wine in amphora is not foreseen in the regulations, so it is declassified to “Vittoria rosso”. I found it delicious.
On the other hand I recently tried their single-vineyard Cerasuolo, called “Delle Fontane”, first vintage is 2010, and was disappointed. Too acidic with barely any fruit. Perhaps in a weird phase?
I bet these can age well.

I had a 2006 Pithos 1 or 2 years ago that was great so they have the potential to last. I’ve never had a young one so I don’t know if they improve. A conversation with a friend suggests bottle variation can be an issue with this one.

I’m a huge fan of both the COS Cerasuolo and the Pithos. I might give the nod to the latter - it seems a little more open-knit and “ready” right now, while my memory of trying the Cerasuolo says it was much better on day two. I agree that the acidity is high, but I didn’t find it too much.

Jim, my comment on “too much acidity” referred only to the “Delle Fontane” bottling, which is new and relatively rare.
Moreover, it costs roughly twice as much as the other two (the Classico and the Pithos).

Hi Gilberto,

I should have quoted Bob’s first post to show where my response was aimed. I actually haven’t had the wine you mentioned, so couldn’t comment one way or the other! [cheers.gif]

Got it, now. Thanks. [cheers.gif]