How many different wines do you own?

How many different wines do you own? (“Different wines” is explained below)

• 1-100
  • 101-200
  • 201-350
  • 351-500
  • 501-750
  • 751-1,000
  • 1,001-1,250
  • 1,251-1,500
  • 1,501-2,000
  • 2,001-2,500
  • 2,501-3,000
  • 3,001-4,000
  • 4,001-5,000
  • 5,001-7,500
  • 7,501-10,000
  • 10,001-15,000
  • More than 15,000

0 voters

The discussion of how many bottles of a particular wine one normally buys led me to wonder about the variety of WB purchases. The best way to illustrate what “different wines” means for purposes of this poll is by example:

Assume that GC is a big sushi fan, so his cellar consists of:

• 2007 Beaucastel Hommage à Jacques Perrin x12 magnums
    2007 Beaucastel Hommage à Jacques Perrin x21 750ml bottles
    1998 Beaucastel Hommage à Jacques Perrin x4 magnums
    2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape Deus-Ex Machina x14 magnums
    2000 Wild Duck Creek Shiraz Duck Muck x2 750ml bottles
    1993 Emmanuel Houillon (Maison Pierre Overnoy) Poulsard Arbois Pupillin x47 750ml bottles (4 cases were mysteriously left on his doorstep, he drank one just to see if Stuart missed any hints of pain grille in his infamous tasting note, and the EPA refuses to cart the rest off for him)

Thus, he owns 5 different wines: 2007 Beaucastel Hommage à Jacques Perrin; 1998 Beaucastel Hommage à Jacques Perrin; 2007 Clos Saint Jean Châteauneuf-du-Pape Deus-Ex Machina; 2000 Wild Duck Creek Shiraz Duck Muck; and 1993 Emmanuel Houillon (Maison Pierre Overnoy) Poulsard Arbois Pupillin.

For users of CellarTracker, the number of different wines you own is found in the “In My Cellar” view at the bottom of the screen where it says “Collection: X bottles and Y pending in Z wines,” where Z is the number of different wines you own.

I think your bins are WAY overestimating what most people have on this board.

Maybe, and I’ll admit that I struggled with the brackets and chose to have more granularity than was probably needed on the high end out of my own curiosity.

Also, the number of different wines each year over multiple vintages adds up quickly.

For example, if someone on the Rhys list buys each SVD wine, that’s 11 different wines for each vintage (2 Chardonnay, 2 Syrah, and 7 PN, not counting the Alpine Hillside which hasn’t been released since 2007), so after 5 years, that’s 55 different wines.

What’s actually most interesting to me is that my average bottles owned of any one wine is 1.84. I seem to have a reluctance to drink the last one, so a whole lot of my current holdings are singletons.

A simpler way to define a “different wine” is every wine that isn’t exactly the same bottle (i.e., wine and vintage).

i’m at 386…interesting.

The poll was prompted in part by surprise at the distribution of my own cellar. I have a lot more singletons than I expected, a combination of not drinking the last bottle of a wine when I bought more than one and not drinking fast enough singletons that I bought to try to see if I would want to get more so they pile up.

I have 113 master verietals with 325 total bottles.

689 (cellartracker)
I have no idea what that says/means.
Might be more meaningful if vintages were consolidated?
Is it really a different wine if I have 6 vintages of the same bottling?

546 with 1131 bottles, so my ratio is ~2.1 bottles per wine on average. A boatload of singletons here too. I don’t mind that and looking forward to drinking all of those last puppies.

Is it really a different wine if I have 6 vintages of the same bottling?

My answer is absolutely a different vintage is a different wine.

I even have an NV or two that I know were different bottlings under same label, so the number above is really 548 or so since those wines in particular taste quite different, have different blends, grapes, etc…

Technically every 2012 40th Caymus I have is different.

more than i thought

482 over about 1500 wines – so roughly three per wine, which seems about right. There are definitely some singletons, and a good deal of 6’s. If I am interested in a wine I try to buy at least 3 and usually 6 bottles.

1400 just under 2 ratio. Never paid attention to that. Go figure. I guess I pull pretty randomly because I mostly buy in multiples of 3. I never check how many I have left before I pull one.

1 vote for 3-4k. Holy cow.

1,463 across 398 wines - 3.7 average.

Tend to not buy less than 3 or more than 6 of any wine, so makes sense.

I’d be curious to see a vote on people’s bottles / wines average. I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I probably should scale back on that a bit.

-Dennis

My average is 3.1 btls/wine. But I have 150 singletons… yikes, too many.

Roughly 2300 different wines, and a mean 2.8 bts. per wine … often lots of 3 or 6, but several have been drunk/tasted … not too many 12-cases … but a lot of single (old) bottles …
That includes different vintages of the same wine/producer … but not different bottle sizes …

About 1450 different wines, averaging 2.6 bottles per wine. I have a huge number of orphan bottles right now. I need to focus on paring those down this summer.

I’m at 232 different wines, out of 1,008 bottles, for an average of 4.34 bottles/wine. About what I would have guessed.

My average # of bottles per wine is 3.75. I tend to buy 6 of a wine I want, except for my favorite producers if I can afford a case.