Mt Hood area wineries to visit?

A good friend of mine is headed out to Government Camp, OR (just south of Mt. Hood) next week and asked me for recommendations of wineries to visit. I have zero knowledge of OR wineries, so am hoping to get some solid suggestions to pass along.

What would you recommend within an hour’s drive of Mt. Hood? Or is that a fantasy and he’d need to drive further for something worthwhile?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

A little over an hour away he can find the Columbia Gorge. I highly recommend Syncline, Memaloose, Cor Cellars & Domaine Poullion in Lyle, Wa and Analemma in Mosier, Or. The town of Hood River is a lovely place to visit as well. Phelps Creek is another good winery in Hood River. The only thing is that the first three are only open on weekends, not sure if that works for your friend.

The Gorge trip is a great drive & IMO a completely unique winery/tasting room experience. Our last trip to Domaine Poullion was sitting in the yard behind the winery drinking wine with the owners while our kids played with their dogs.

Jon Bonne wrote an article on the Gorge last year. Found in a gorge, a promising paradise for wine

Portland also has urban wineries, and is a fantastic city to visit- around 90 min from Mt Hood w/traffic.

I think Gorge wineries are quite good, but the beer rocks.

Not sure if your friend is interested in beer, but there are a few awesome breweries in the gorge. Double mountain, full sail, pfriem and logsdon are all in Hood river. Everybody’s brewing is in White Salmon. Walking man is in Stevenson.

A resource: http://www.breweriesinthegorge.com

I would second Syncline (Grenache blanc rocks) and Memaloose as must haves for wine in the Gorge.

The suggestions above are 100% spot on save for the travel time to Portland. Only in the deepest rush hour would it take more than an hour from Government Camp to Portland.

I was thinking more navigating around Portland place to place.

Was in HR this past weekend. Anthony’s recs are spot on, although I’d highly recommend Analemma as the must do stop.

Great recommendations - thanks, all! My friend is a huge beer guy, so will undoubtedly make a trip to Hood River once he hears what’s there. For wine, he loves reds but isn’t much of a pinot drinker, so I’m guessing the Lyle winery recs will appeal to him the most (based on what I could tell from the wineries’ websites).

Thanks again,
Andy

I visited Timberline Lodge on Mt. hood a couple of weeks ago, arriving from Hood River, leaving toward Portland. It is actually closer to Portland than Hood River and Gorge wineries, but I agree with all the recommendations for wine and beer in and around Hood River. Another wine choice on the WA side a bit further east is Cascade Cliffs, interesting Piedmont variety wines, Barbera, Nebbiolo (mostly).

The drive from Hood River to/from Government Camp is spectacular, as is the drive from Portland, both weather pending, but for planning purposes I think it’s worth pointing out these are not in a straight line, more like a triangle, and if travelling from Hood River/Gorge to Portland or visa versa, it’s much quicker to stay on I-84 than to go “through” Government Camp.

Marchesi is an interesting tasting stop in Hood River. They specialize in Italian varieties, and although they run a bit on the ripe side for the usual Berserker AFWE preference, the wines are good, if not great.

As far as the drive goes, the scenery is fantastic going around the east side of Mt Hood to Hood River.

P Hickner