Comparing two vintages of Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve

2007 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/4/2015)
13.9% abv. The cork broke off again but not as much as with the 2005 vintage. It came out pretty much in two pieces. The wine looks less dense than the 2005 in the glass and has a younger, sharper nose. First impression on the palate is too tart and too “alcoholic” although the alcohol by volume is labeled slightly below that of the 2005 vintage. Maybe it will improve with aeration. Yes, it was better on the second and third days than on the first day. It has some blueberry and dark fruit notes. Enjoyable, but I found he 2005 vintage more to my liking and more worthy of the purchase price.

2005 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/1/2015)
14. 1% abv. Cork broke off and had to be partially pushed down into the bottle. Darkly colored and opaque wine. This was very appealing in both nose and taste.
This is a very nicely balanced wine in a lovely place now. Black cherry and dark plum are both present without bitterness or any harshness. This is a wine that encourages further sipping and licking the lips. It showed better on the first two days than on the third.
Posted from CellarTracker

I haven’t had this wine in quite some time. Reading your notes it sounds like the wines are exactly as I remember them. This wine…to me…is the antithesis of what Oregon Pinot Noir is. When I hear Opaque in a descriptor of Pinot Noir I think of heavily extracted & manipulated wines. These wines have always made me think of Caymus. They have a delicious factor that is consistent almost year in, year out and like Caymus…when I drink them all I can focus on is the thought that the wine feels manipulated. Thank you for sharing your notes they sound spot-on for what I would expect from this wine…