Once & Future Wine

I don’t know much about this, but interesting to read between the lines. It will be an intriguing project for those interested in California’s heritage:

Once, there was a small winery that was producing only small lot, single vineyard designated wines from special vineyards in California. That changed.

In the future, small winery, small lots, special vineyards.

Once, that winery used red wood open topped fermenters, native yeast, french oak, and minimal processing. That changed.

In the future, red wood fermenters, native yeast, french oak, and minimal processing.

Once, in California, reds were bordeaux, claret, and burgundy made from mixed field blends, Zinfandel, Petit Sirah, Carignane, Alicante Bouche, Grenache, Mourvedre, and Syrah, plus a few others. That changed.

In the future, at Once & Future, vineyard designated old vine field blends, old vine Zinfandel, and wines from California’s first chosen varieties.

Once, simple, sustainable, dry farmed vines. That changed.

In the future, simple, sustainable, mostly dry farmed vines.

Welcome to the future. Inaugural offering 2016.

Very cinematic.

I signed up! I wonder what this will be like!

Oops, double post.

Huh???

If you don’t get it Markus, then I guess it’s not for you.

Signed up- listed “Larry P” as who to thank for referring me. Any idea who is behind this? Hopefully not a joint venture between Garagiste & Ray Walker.

[cheers.gif] Thanks Anthony.

Honestly the person who forwarded this to me is being a little bit cheeky about who’s behind it, but “small winery, small lots, special vineyards …red wood open topped fermenters, native yeast, french oak, and minimal processing … vineyard designated old vine field blends, old vine Zinfandel, and wines from California’s first chosen varieties” …sounds like Ravenswood 2.0 to me, throwback to the days before the exponential growth and corporate overlords.

Signed up. Thanks Larry.

That’s what I was thinking. Logo/Label looks faintly familiar.

[/quote]

[cheers.gif] Thanks Anthony.

Honestly the person who forwarded this to me is being a little bit cheeky about who’s behind it, but “small winery, small lots, special vineyards …red wood open topped fermenters, native yeast, french oak, and minimal processing … vineyard designated old vine field blends, old vine Zinfandel, and wines from California’s first chosen varieties” …sounds like Ravenswood 2.0 to me, throwback to the days before the exponential growth and corporate overlords.[/quote]

I was reading about the early 1970’s at Joseph Swan on the hogsheadwine.wordpress.com, and your thoughts fall right in line with what I was wondering. I don’t know much about the history of Sonoma, but you must be right.

Perhaps the power of suggestion, but the colors used, and maybe the font too, seem to evoke Ravenswood to me. IMO, the Ravenswood logo is iconic, a visual treat that compelled me to buy when I first saw it (1980’s).

I need a new California hip field blend winery dedicated to classic production values and vintage vineyards like I need a hole in the head. Morgan Twain-Peterson already has me by the balls and I buy Ridge ATP every year and am struggling to find space.

Someone tell me this will be shi$!y so that I don’t feel emotionally compelled to sign up. Sigh. :slight_smile:

In!

Jim Nantz and Peter Deutsch work together on The Calling, a wine operation with a keyhole on the label. If you want to think they are behind this, or some adult children of industrial level winemaking families, you can pursue that route.

I believe LarryP is correct, even though the Peterson family has Shebang, Lacuna, Papa’s All Blacks, Bedrock, Ravenswood, and some Albariño project in Napa…

Yes - I took a long look at the logo then googled to see if David Lance Goines had published it, but no luck. That would have iced it, but really I think not much mystery.

I did ask MT-P if this was his project, to which he laughed and said he doesn’t need any more projects champagne.gif

I know who’s behind it and I’m in. Enough said!

Great link thanks Drew! “[S]oil of nearly absolute perfection in every particular”: An Historic Tasting of Joseph Swan Vineyards | Hogshead - A Wine Blog

Not to mention a priceless picture of Joel Peterson, Joseph Swan, Andre Tchelistcheff circa 1974:

In!

LarryP, awesome pic, huh? Joel Peterson, surfer mode.

I thought the Peterson’s sold Ravenswood?